UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Any reason for being white? I would fear it's simply a fashion statement rather than actually showing your thoughts are with the meaning behind wearing a poppy.

For me the end of Black Adder Goes Forth was perfect in showing the reasoning why red poppies are so correct.

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
No, the reason for the red poppy is in remembrance of those who fell on the fields of flanders and throughout the war, no white poppies grew, they were red, and the symbolism is linked to the blood spilled on behalf of all of us to be able to lead the free lives we do today. There's no need for a white poppy, no white poppies grew on the ground where thousands lost their lives on our behalf, it's trying to be politically correct about something that wasn't, or isn't ever going to be politically correct and I think it verges on insulting to wear it as an alternative to the red poppy, but I am old fashioned and cantankerous at times.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
No, the reason for the red poppy is in remembrance of those who fell on the fields of flanders and throughout the war, no white poppies grew, they were red, and the symbolism is linked to the blood spilled on behalf of all of us to be able to lead the free lives we do today. There's no need for a white poppy, no white poppies grew on the ground where thousands lost their lives on our behalf, it's trying to be politically correct about something that wasn't, or isn't ever going to be politically correct and I think it verges on insulting to wear it as an alternative to the red poppy, but I am old fashioned and cantankerous at times.
From one Victor Meldrew to another could I just say...

I DONT BELIEVE IT

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way i have understood is, the white poppy is for peace.Its not saying those that died were wrong.:confused:
" The white poppy is an artificial flower used as a symbol of peace, worn as an alternative to, or complement to, the red remembrance poppy for Remembrance Day or Anzac Day.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
The way i have understood is, the white poppy is for peace.Its not saying those that died were wrong.:confused:
" The white poppy is an artificial flower used as a symbol of peace, worn as an alternative to, or complement to, the red remembrance poppy for Remembrance Day or Anzac Day.
Whilst I very much do not want another war anywhere, and am pro peace, I'm also a realist and this isn't going to happen any time soon, or because people start to wear white poppies. Remembrance day is about remembering those who gave their lives for us, not about trying to stop more wars from happening, wear white poppies any other day of the year but don't let's ever forget those who fell for us. And that is why I won't change the poppy colour I wear, so that the meaning is never lost.

·
Registered
14,997 Posts
No I would not wear one - not because I dont agree with striving for peace rather than war - but because I would rather pay my respects and show my solidarity for those that did die and fight for our freedom back then by wearing the red poppy.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I have never heard of a White Poppy, the link didn't work for me Janice...The symbol of the Red Poppy shouldn't be replaced or complimented with a White Poppy in my mind...

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
I did see a few people last year wearing white poppies,I think the red poppy has been good enough for as long as I can remember so thats what I would always wear to show my respect.

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whilst I very much do not want another war anywhere, and am pro peace, I'm also a realist and this isn't going to happen any time soon, or because people start to wear white poppies. Remembrance day is about remembering those who gave their lives for us, not about trying to stop more wars from happening, wear white poppies any other day of the year but don't let's ever forget those who fell for us. And that is why I won't change the poppy colour I wear, so that the meaning is never lost.
Ok for those that didn't hear the radio program i was listening to.
There was a guy who had been in our armed forces for years.And fought in the Falklands.But he refuses to wear a red poppy because we went into Iraq and Afghanistan.His opinion is we went into an illegal war.
So this guy has done his bit for queen and country.He is seeing it from both sides.
Just to add, i will NEVER forget what others have done for our "freedom", but i do think those in higher places do.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
What on earth have Afghanistan and Iraq got to do with world war two and the trenches? Wearing a red poppy isn't anything to do with these two conflicts, wear a white poppy any other time of the year to make your point about peace, but not on Remembrance Sunday :confused:

I never said you would forget anything, I was making the point that if you start changing the colour, to change the meaning of wearing a poppy, an insiduous change starts to take place, and the meaning is slowly lost, and that is why I won't change the colour, so that the meaning isn't lost and none of us will forget.

---------------------------------------

Interesting article Colliebarmy, actually gives more information about the white poppy and why it was started, which makes me agree with it even less if that's possible.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
No - for the reasons already given, plus where/who does the money go to as I don't believe the British Legion sell white poppies do they?

I don't see the red poppy as being a supporter of wars either current or past, I thought it was to remember the fallen

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What on earth have Afghanistan and Iraq got to do with world war two and the trenches? Wearing a red poppy isn't anything to do with these two conflicts, wear a white poppy any other time of the year to make your point about peace, but not on Remembrance Sunday :confused:

I never said you would forget anything, I was making the point that if you start changing the colour, to change the meaning of wearing a poppy, an insiduous change starts to take place, and the meaning is slowly lost, and that is why I won't change the colour, so that the meaning isn't lost and none of us will forget.

---------------------------------------

Interesting article Colliebarmy, actually gives more information about the white poppy and why it was started, which makes me agree with it even less if that's possible.
Hold on, i wasn't having a dig at you,you have misunderstood my post.
I was under the impression that the red poppy was for ALL that have died for this country.:confused:

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Hold on, i wasn't having a dig at you,you have misunderstood my post.
I was under the impression that the red poppy was for ALL that have died for this country.:confused:
Remembrance Sunday relates to one specific date, and yes, we remember all who have fallen, but for the reasons given previously the red poppy will always retain that meaning, not a white poppy. This shouldn't be a day for those who are conscientious objectors to make their point, and try to raise their profile above those who gave their lives, that, for me, shows a total lack of respect. An apologies, I know you weren't having a go, and I've typed world war two instead of one!

I remember my grandfather telling me stories of how he'd fought hand to hand in the trenches, he lied about his age so that he could join the army and go to join the fight for ours and other countries. I know where he'd tell people to put their white poppies :D

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Absolutely not!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.