Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

would you let?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Badger's Mum, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I don't even bother asking my parents if I can join forums, I'm perfectly capable of differentiating bad forums from the good ones and I already know a few people from fishkeeping forums in the flesh. :D

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I was 14 when i joined and got on fine!!
    :D

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Thank's love she want's to go on the horsey bit;). Can i ask though did or does anything on here upset you? or make you feel unconfortable?

4. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Once you're on the internet you develop a thick skin. ;)

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I would allow mine to join if they were still under 18, there are a lot of forums, chat rooms out there that i wouldnt be comfortable with, a pet forum is a great place for them to be and they can only gain good knowledge on pet care and the ups and downs of owning a pet.

6. Badger's Mum

:eek::eek: where have you been?:D

7. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

My 12 year old daughter has been a member for a long time... she is very level headed, has the private messaging disable & it's no problem...:)

8. XxNaomixX

XxNaomixX PetForums Junior

I'm just about 17 and my mum doesn't mind me coming on here. I've learnt quite a bit from some members on here. And plus there are a lot worse things on the internet then this forum.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

There are some dodgy chat rooms out there ive not been on them but you hear so much about young people talking to the wrong kind i can understand parents of younger kids being cautious.

Is that what you meant about where i had been. . . . . . i havnt been on them!!!! lol

10. Badger's Mum

No you got springer's your's fine:D. just wondered that's all:)

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I would let my daughter as soon as she can type :D :D

Seriously though i would let her, all the parental locks on the laptop, i don't see what the problem would be??

So people have arguments?? I want my daughter to grow up realising and understanding that people have different opinions and she has to learn to deal with that and react in a respectful way.

I also want her to have something away from the crazy social lives of teenagers and this is such a great forum.

It probably doesn't mean to, but it teaches certain life/social rules that can help towards being an open, respectful and more friendly person on a whole! It can also help with confidence issues not wholely but even a little. People listen, they reply, they aren't judging him/her on appearence, social circles etc etc, which lets face it as a teen we are predisposed to worry about what people think more!!

It can broaden minds for all those interested in animals, educate about how to care for pets and how to give your beloved pet(s) the life they derserve.

Go for it hun, let her but only if you feel she is ready and you are happy with it. Don't if you won't be able to relax, it would just cause stress for you and then her.If you do decide to, you could make a rule that for now you will keep on eye on things. xx

#31 Acacia86, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would no problem I would probably check out any forums they wanted to join first until they were about 14-15 just to make sure there was nothing bad but here I wouldn't mind.

13. claire

claire Guest

Great post, I totally agree x

14. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks! But it is the way i see it! It has taught me a lot and i'm 22 :) xx

15. claire

claire Guest

I dont believe hiding things from kids helps they have to have the info to make good choices for themselves, i really agree with ur post

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Well my daughter is 17 and I can assure you she sees far worse things than on this forum on facebook and the like - I think this forum would be a bit tame for her.:laugh:

17. Yes i would. This forum is very educational. If i had access to the internet like we do now when i was younger then i would of learnt alot of things about buying pups kittens etc from rep breeders, and how pets from petshops mainly come from animal farming where they are kept in cruel conditions, How to care for my pets properly. if i was worried about my pet but my parents wasnt i could of came on here to get reasurence. I didnt really know any of this stuff untill after i bought my first Kitten and started reading up on when to get vaccinations done etc. The earlier one reads stuff like this the better, so they dont make mistakes for when they leave home and buy their own pets to care for.

18. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Well not really as I am very used to and prefer adult humour (although i may not always get it :p) so that was fine
    But sometimespeople can be very short and snappy with me and its like, im young, jeeze lay off :D But hey ho thats life-io :p

19. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Maybe we should have a junior's-only sub-forum on here, of course the mods would have full access to it. :D

20. rona

rona Guest

I think if she puts her age on her first few posts to alert people, they should behave themselves or someone else will put them straight

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice