Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

would you let friendly cat outside?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mici, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Mici

Mici PetForums Member

I am just curious...

I don't let my cats outside for various reasons even tho the male cat (neutered) likes to be outside a lot (on a leash in our yard when supervised) and he is super friendly and completely unaffraid of anything - even the vet commented he has never seen a cat being so relaxed and calmed at the vets with all those smells and sounds before...He is bomb-proof and very very nosy but is too lively to sit in your lap...

The reason why I am asking this question really is because my relatives asked me why i don't let at least him outside because he is so lively and enjoys outdoors...But I honestly could never do this...It isn't that I am affraid of him getting run over (I am) but I am far more worried because he is so friendly and I fear of what people might do to him cause he approaches everyone...And this is just something I cannot get my relatives to understand...

Maybe I am parranoied but it is because a few years back there were a couple of high school kids in our country who tortured and killed more than 100 cats nad kept diaries of these actions and were consequently charged but never punished (it was quite well covered by the media here)...And of course they picked up cats they could get - ie the friendly ones...

So there really isn't a point to this question but for the ones who let your cats out - are they friendly to strangers? Or do you somehow teach them not to approach unknown people?
    As said my cats are indoors (except the semi-feral one that I am feeding and have had her spayed but she definetely avoids people so no worries there) and will continue to stay indoors but I was just wondering wether the cats that are let outside are friendly to strangers...(I don't want this to be an indoor outdoor debate, I am purely genuinely interested in the friendlines/unfriendliness towards strangers bit)

Thanx :)

#1 Mici, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't let my girls out, one reason being that they are both breeding queens. One is very shy but the elder one is very, very friendly and I do think she would happily go off with someone if she was an outdoor cat.
    What a horrible thing to have happened to the cats in your area Mici :mad: - I don't blame you for one minute for not wanting to let your cat outside. I don't think you can teach cats who it is safe to approach, they're either friendly or not

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My Ragdoll Meeko ,although he has a split personallity,he loves people and is also bomb proof,but with that comes disadvantages.He would,I'm sure, get himself into all kinds of dangers if allowed to go outdoors,stuck in tight spaces/shut in sheds and all sorts of other situations that cats should avoid,he is far to nosey for his own good.I dont for one minute think you are paranoid,just not willing to risk an avoidable accident,neither am I :D

4. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't. I have a 4 month old BSH boy and I don't think he'll ever be going outside for 2 reasons. They are a generally laid back breed and i think he's far too friendly and silly to be aware of the dangers. Also it is quite obvious he's an expensive pedigree so a target for theives.
    In my opinion you are doing the right thing.

If anything happened to him it would be on your conscience. It is you who would have to deal with it and not your family. Do what your head is telling you.

5. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

We let Max out. He's miserable if he doesn't have the option to go out, and if he does have the option he doesn't stay out long.

He is friendly but as soon as you do something he don't like he'll bite and run. Fast. We've trained him not to bite us, although sometimes he still does have a nip, but I know that if it was a stranger as soon as they crossed the line he wouldn't be so friendly.

I can see why you would be worried. Can you cat proof your garden at all?

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Both of our youngest cats are very friendly and will talk to anyone so, for that reason, they are kept as strict indoor cats.

Merson is very stand-offish and won't even talk to the neighbours if they call him. The same neighbours who feed him whenever we are away!!! :eek: :rolleyes: So I don't worry about him going off with anyone. Although, with hindsight, I would never have introduced him to the great outdoors and should have kept him as an 'innie'. I'd be much happier that way. :eek:

Oscar stays in the garden so he is quite safe. :)

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

No, I wouldn't let my friendly cat out.

My boy will talk to anyone, he used to love the outdoors but also loved his indoor comforts. He is very accident prone, and would get into vans, on trailers, and come home with all sorts of bumps and cuts.

He is now an indoor boy, and he is still accident prone.

I don't want him driven off in a removal or delivery van, to dash out of it when discovered by the driver, and to become lost. I don't want him run over, stolen, poisoned by anti-freeze, brake fluid, lily pollen, to have fireworks thrown at him, to be skinned alive for his fur or any of the other things that might happen. I know they might not happen too, but they happen to cats all the time, and it isn't going to happen to him (or my girl).

I once saw a news report of 2 youths who had put a neighbours friendly cat in the oven and left him there to roast to death at Christmas, I have never forgotten it.

If your cat can have a secure garden, then fine, but otherwise, if he is happy indoors, then I would keep it that way.

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Only you know the risks in your own country, but I have always let my cats out and they have never wandered far from home. But this is the UK and although horrible things have been known to happen, they are uncommon.

Have you thought of catproofing your garden, so that he can go there but nowhere else? Seems the kindest thing to do.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

For a "so called" pet loving nation, horrible things happen far to often for my liking :(

10. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

My mum has a cat who turned up as a stray, he is very friendly, will let anyone pick him up or stroke him. He ran away from his original home years ago and ended up at ours and never left. Im sure if somebody wanted to they could catnap him but I think we all trust the neighbours in the village, it doesnt seemed to have changed much since I left.

Before we got my cat there were tons of cats in my village that I could stroke and play with, many of them followed me home, one even adopted himself but not long after disappeared.

If it were up to me as a child I would have kept them all but my parents had the sense not to encourage them so they went home. I would do the same now and hope others have the same courtesy.

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, I agree, and it seems to be getting worse not better. I have to admit that the idea of letting a cat out nowadays leaves me a bit queasy, but I am lucky to live in an area of animal lovers who would always keep an eye out for neighbour's pets.

Catproofing the garden seems the best option to me.

12. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I agree that it's actually less of a worry to let a shy cat out than a friendly one. I used to have a really nervous cat, but she was usually fine outside and much preferred it. She never went far and stayed mostly in the back garden- hated going out the front near the road, because she knew that strangers would walk past! She only once got shut in next-door's garage, but apart from that she was fine oudoors. With my current friendly Treacle, I wouldn't be happy to let him out if he was my only cat (which he's not any more!) - I've always found that my cats keep each other company outdoors :)

13. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

My cats are allowed outside, in a cat proofed garden. I have the same duty of care towards my cats as I do the dogs, I have to make sure they are not being a nuisance or their health put at risk.

Friendly cats can make themselves a nuisance and get themselves into trouble, as well as being the victims of intentional harm/catnapping.

Fortunately I suppose none of mine are particularly interested in strangers, they're reserved in their affections and those they do not know are treated in a rather aloof manner.

Either way I don't let them out. One of them may be aloof, but he's very food motivated. He'll eat anything offered to him by a human, and i'd never forgive myself if his stubborn pursuit of easy food resulted in anything happening to him.

14. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

All mine are scared of strangers so, besides if they were trapped in a confined space/found injured, someone would have to be very determined to get close enough to actually touch them, and long may things stay this way.

I can't pass a cat without trying to call it over and as much as I like stroking them if they approach me, my heart sinks every time one does as the next person to call them may not be so friendly. I'd much rather the cat bolted on seeing me.

Ian

15. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

all 3 of mine are indoor cats for me the risks are too great, so i personally wouldnt let any of my cats out.

hope you can come to a descision your happy with

16. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Oscar used to go out and he is very friendly, too friendly for his own good! I was forever wondering and fearing he would be picked up one day and sold for a druggies next hit! He only goes out in his run now and I will never let a cat roam free again! Oscar was run over in June and spent 2 weeks in intensive care! I live in a quiet area no main roads nearby, he was run over outside my house by my own son :( it doesn't have to be a busy road, he was just going out so not speeding either!!

17. retepwaker

retepwaker PetForums Member

I think you are doing the right thing keeping it in doors. There is one thing that gets me very upset and that is the sale of guns air rifles in particular guns are made to kill and those that sell them are not the people i like hopefully one day sum one will cum to there senses

18. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

It only takes a moment to grab a cat from the street, pop him into a carrier or sack and drive away.

Easier than stealing a dog from a garden to use as bait in dog fighting.

Looking at the missing cat sites, it is hard to believe that all those cats have just wandered off, somehow.

19. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

This is true, there is a lovely cat on our road called Dotty and she, before we had Mitzi used to make a break to get in our house every day. Once in she would head for the bedroom and sit on the bed then, if you tried to get her to leave hide under the bed. The day we got Mitzi she jumped up to a top window and was shimmying herself down the curtain to get in! Now she lies in the middle of the drive rolling in ecstasy when Chris' car comes in for attention and I literally have to run out and pick her up. One day I won't be home and I dread to think what will happen!

But she seems to be outside morning noon and night, so maybe she is just starved for attention.:nonod: So sad for such a lovely cat.

20. Chewie39

Chewie39 PetForums VIP

I also think you are doing the right thing - ignore those people in your life who criticise your decision, you are doing what you feel is best and you can be 100% confident your friendly cat is safe with you.

I've got three cats - one is an ex-feral who will not allow anyone he doesn't know to even approach him. I'm pretty confident that he wouldn't let anyone get near enough to do anything to him and, if they did, they'd soon regret it - so he is allowed out.

I also have two eight month old kittens who are the complete opposite - they will always be indoor cats though, like you, I take them out on leads and I also let them play in the garden under my supervision. I'm hoping to either cat proof the garden or build an enclosure next summer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice