Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you health test?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Posting this for a friend as she has just moved and has no internet.

She has just got a CKCS and he is gorgeous!! She has no plans to breed or to show but is considering getting him health tested. His parents were both tested. She wants to know if there are any benefits to having him tested despite not wanting to breed from him.

Thanks.:)

2. cav

cav PetForums VIP

eerm it is up to her but i would not bother if it was for a pet only and if the dogs parents were both tested this puppy should have a healthy futer:)

3. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

The only reason I health tested was because of breeding Max & Molly. I will not be testing Tia as I have no plans what so ever in breeding her.

It is brill that more people are becoming aware of the health testing :D:D

4. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I'll let her know what you've both said.

She took him to one of those puppy party things at the vets and someone told her that they knew of a CKCS that just dropped dead even though his parents were healthy. But she didn't say what he died of. So my friend was a bit worried.

5. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

The two main health problems are heart pooblems and SM
    The heart can be checked at the vets when they have jabs etc but SM they have a MRI scan to diagnose I get my cavs heart checked whenever they go to the vets but as i dont breed wont get them scanned unles they start having symptoms. They can still have heart trouble when both parents are clear because they can be clear at 3 but have a murmour at 5yrs so its worth the vet listening

6. cav

cav PetForums VIP

my cavs
    have had eyes, heart and mri but i breed so i need it done but if i did not breed i would not bother but i would only get one from parents that had clear health tests:)
    is your friend a member of the breed club as tests are cheaper:)

7. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I get Harvey and Pippa heart checked whenever I'm at the vets too. I've never had Harvey scanned for SM as he is a pet but would if he showed any symptoms of SM

8. cav

cav PetForums VIP

ow the breed club says at least 2 and half for mri scan - forgot to say that!

9. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I'm not sure. She's had him a week so not sure if she joined it yet. Will mention it to her. I'm hoping she'll join us here when her internet is up and running.

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

ok hun if she needs any info or help just give me a shout:)

11. I'm not a breeder

If both parents were fully health tested clear then i wouldnt bother for a pet dog, however maybe if he was a rescue i would consider it, so that i would have a better idea of what the future may hold for my dog.

I have a persian rescue here, and we did get her PKD tested so we knew whether there would be problems later in life, her kittens were also tested as we didnt know who the dad was - luckily (amazingly) all clear.

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My 3 lhasa's have all been eye tested even though I have no real plans to breed one of them... I may do at some point but nothing is definate, but I still had him tested just to be sure that he's ok.

Thankfully all 3 of them are clear but they will still be tested each year.

As soon as the pyrenean is old enough he'll be hip scored even though he is purely pet.

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I know a lot of breeders owners say as long as the mum, dad are health tested then puppies should be clear and be healthy, our first springer was from health tested parents and up to 6 year old was fit and healthy he was the typical springer full of life and energy,at 6 he became what i can only describe as slow, then breathing heavy under excercise took him to the vets 3 times, nothing wrong, to cut the story short one day he collapsed he had what they first said was a severe heart murmur then very quickly realised it was something major not responding to treatment and was given 4 days at the most to live he was them diagnosed with D.C.M he pulled through the 4 days and we had him for another 11 months this was genetic, so not all puppies from health tested parents are clear from genetic ilnesses, we have his brother and is clear from it.

14. Colsy

Colsy Banned

We are seriously thinking about breeding Hunny B.
    First we are gathering as much info as we can from every source possible.
    Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
    I know she is a cross breed but that still does not matter all health tests should be done by a breeder.
    We feel we would have done all we could have done to produce a healthy litter.
    If Hunny B's tests come back rubbish we will not breed.
    I would like to say thank you to all of you helping and supporting us on this subject.

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am having my girl tested at some point (no money right now :() for my own peace of mind :yesnod:

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If a health test revealed something that could be treated/prevented in some way, then im all for it.

But if it showed up a condition for which nothing could be done, id rather not know, and just cross that bridge when i got to it.

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I agree with that to a point, if we had known how awful it was going to be for us and monty having D.C.M, then we would not have had to lovely years leading up to it, but having said that he would have been treated earlier, as once it goes to collapse its an all different ball game, and he would have had a better quality of life and he would have lived longer with it.

18. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

Definetely get him health tested and tell your friend to take out insurance before he gets tested. see my post about heart murmmer ;)

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

But he had a condition that was treatable.

Im saying if a test showed up that a dog was going to develop such and such in the future, but there wasnt one thing that could be done about it, then id rather not know.

It depends on what the test is for. I dont know if all the conditions dogs are tested are treatable or not, as thats way outside my knowledge range. If they are, then id go for it.

20. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I will probaly get Blu health tested in a few years if he does well at showing because then I will probaly want to breed him. So far he fits the breed standard well so hopefully it will continue. If I don't breed from him then I think I will get his eyes tested anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice