Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you go through a red light if an ambulance came up behind you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 7, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Flashing its lights and with its siren on I mean?

I don't know if you should ignore the light if the road is clear or just obey the light even if the ambulance is wanting to go?

I live quite near the hospital and ambulances are always back and fourth I'm like :scared: what do I do if I'm stopped at the lights!?!

What would you do/are you meant to do? :)

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You go far enough past the light to allow the ambulance space to get through, but no further. This will sometimes put you in the position of not being able to see what your lights are doing, if there isn't a duplicate one on the other side of the road, but you can see when cars from other directions have stopped and I am sure the driver behind will soon let you know;)

3. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Id try and pull to the side if there was enough space BUT if the junction was a very busy junction i wouldnt risk my kids getting hurt for anyone dont give a toss who they are my kids safety will be my main priority.

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Go through definetly

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

i would just get out the way if it means going through the light then so be it

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

my hubby goes through them and when i drive i think i would too.... providing it was safe for me to do so!

7. GoldenShadow

This is probably massively selfish because if an ambulance has its siren on etc its an emergency, but for curiosity if I went through a red or partially through and a camera saw me would I be able to use mitigating circumstances or would I get 3 points no q's asked?

I really don't know how I could position myself to be out the way if an ambulance came, I'm so worried like what if it joins the queue of traffic behind me (say 6 cars long) we can't all get out the way can we?! Or I guess if possible you could go onto the wrong side of the road..?

People fail driving tests here all the time with the amount of ambulances we have in this area.

You watch this will so happen to me next week now :rolleyes:

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You should not go all the way through a red light. You should just go far enough and pull over to the side to let the ambulance through. They are the rules, folks.

9. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

To be fair if the lights were red and the ambulance was in a queue of traffic which couldnt move then the ambulance would drive down 'the wrong' side of the road to get through and the other drivers would juat have to stop and wait for it to pass.

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

The only reason the front car can't get on to the pavement is because of the traffic light. Everyone else can, and if they can't, it will be the ambulance who goes on to the wrong side of the road, not you. If you hold up an ambulance until the lights change to green, you are going to fail a test. There is nowhere else to go, but forward and to the side, being sure that it is safe of course. A decent examiner, knowing you are nervous, would tell a candidate what to do, but as we all know they are not all decent.

11. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

If you're spotted doing this, despite your good intentions, you would be prosecuted/fined for going through a red light.

I only found this out about a month ago.

Highway Code Rule 219 says :- Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

:rolleyes:

Stupid, ain't it?

12. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I go through and pull as far left as i can or right if im in a right hand lane. i dont drive on just go over and move over so it can get through.

13. GoldenShadow

Say there is a queue of like 6 cars behind me and I'm at the front, I can't move out the way enough and not go through, I'd have to go through fully or not at all, right? :(

Its this road here, I just think I could go forward and block the lanes to the left of me to allow ambulance past but the other 5 odd cars behind me couldn't get out the way then as they would have to follow me..? I come up Valley Bridge and turn right along where it says B1008, just putting it up in hope I'm being stupid and then I wont get in a pickle when it happens (it will, that's just my luck!). :eek:

[​IMG]

14. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

the highway code IS abit vague on certain stuff they sort of expect you to figure it out but sometimes things are quite hard or common sense answers aren't good 'life' answers but:

you only do it if it is SAFE to do so and only as far as you need to to get out of the way, if other cars are on green and coming through the junction then make sure they are aware first or if pedestrians are still crossing you don't move.

you should also leave enough room from your car to the one in front to move forward enough to mount the kerb or get onto the hardshoulder/central reservation if needed. stoppin so close up someones arse that you couldn't squeeze an electron between the bumpers means that you can't move until the car in front does. also means if you get hit from behind you'll be done for the damage to the car in front. obviously you can't always do this on junctions as people go then stop (dithering) but pays to keep an eye on distance when in a traffic jam or rush hour.

if a flashy light vehicle is entering a roundabout/junction, you stop on the roundabout ONLY IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO, if it isn't continue on your route and keep half an eye on where they are going so you can get out of their way off the roundabout if needed.
    This is also why you SHOULD NEVER block a roundabout/junction at an 'on'. if there's no space for you to get off the roundabout onto the road you want to (and you can see that, some roundabouts have bushes and other **** on them obscuring your view) then don't move.. no matter what the lights or drivers behind you are doing. if you can safely stop in the space between the on/off of a roundabout you can do. if the people behind you wnt to block the off then that's their bad driving, nothing to do with you.

hope that helps.

15. GoldenShadow

Thanks everyone, I know its selfish but if I get six points I get my license taken away until I've had it two years when I can have up to 12 points, only had it a year and round there there are so many speed camera cams people always get caught I'm so paranoid of getting caught out. Plus my insurance would go through the roof if I got any points :(

I know if/when it happens I'll be like omg what do I do. I don't know if the lights from the photo I put up have cameras or not but even so its scarey having lots of ambulances around!

My cousin failed his driving test because:

Ambulance came, he pulled over to the left as tight as he could. Apparently he should have mounted the kerb to get out the way, but if he had done that he would have got an instant fail for that too :rolleyes: I think the examiner was well harsh, shouldn't have failed surely you aren't allowed to go on pavements on test...

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

oh yeah after a recent similar incident to this.

if you are in the left lane pull to the left.. if you are in the right lane pull to the right.. DON'T GO OVER THE WHITE LINE into another lane!!!

some old dodder did that a few months back BLOCKING the bloody road as everyone else pulled over correctly, he also did it in such a way that he then couldn't move.. w@nker.

also as someone mentioned it, the people behind you should stay in position.. like a rolling start or accident car in motor racing. whatever position you were in BEFORE the flashylights is the position you will be in AFTER the flashylights.

17. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

if you get a fine for doing it (going through red light) you inform them that at the tiem you were getting out the way of a flashylight (tell them what type) and they should rescind the fine as you weren't running the light. the camera will also flash for the flashylight so they will have a record of it happening, if they don't for whatever reason, they would then contact the service you moved for and they will confirm that there was an vehicle needing through.

your cousin shouldn't have failed, he should have argued/appealed the decision. if he moved out of the way ADEQUATELY and IN A TIMELY FASHION for the ambulance to get through then he has done what the highway code requests. it does not state get up on the kerb, or anythign specific like that.

#17 owieprone, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  18. GoldenShadow

Ohhhh I am a bit of a dumbo I hadn't thought of that, that's good to know then if there is big queues behind me and to the left the ambulance can go the wrong way :)

Thanks never thought of that, I'm such a worry wort :(

No they aren't sadly :( You can tell my instructor had a right job with me, but what if this happens?! What if THAT happens?! :scared:

Yeah it is, I lack common sense enough they should make it simple for people like me :cryin:

That makes sense thanks :)

I get what you mean but damn I hope it doesn't happen, no idea what I'd do if it happened on a roundabout!

OK, noted that one mentally lol I will remember that..!

19. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

im pretty sure there was a story in the news fairly recently about a man who pulled out from a red light to let a ambulance past, and he got points on his license for running the red light.
    its a fairly silly rule.

you should always move over, IF it is safe to do so. otherwise the ambulance would go down the wrong side of the road.

20. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

that's just it though you WILL panic, everyone does!

until you've done each sort of get out of the way at least twice

once you've done them a few times you'll know what to expect lol.. it is scary cos you don't want to be the one arsewipe that doesn't do anything and get in the way but there's loads of other things to think about, other people are moving and you don't know them so you don't know what they will do. etc etc.. if you do **** up, correct as soon as possible and wave a sorry to the flashylight driver.. they might look like they want to kill you but they do know that some people are inexperienced drivers etc... we can't all know what to do in every situation until we've done it a few times.

even i'm not perfect.. i know.. shocking.. but true.. i blocked a roundabout-junction last year, i wasn't thinking, there was a traffic jam (10 miles and growing), i blocked the 2 lanes cos i thought the one i needed to get round would move before the lights changed (someone else was already blocking the 2 lanes hence my **** up).
    i couldn't move cos i was right up the blocker in fronts arse, i couldn't reverse cos cars were coming round the outside lane past my rear.. complete and utter w@nker.

**** happens... learn and move on.
    ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice