Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you give up your cats to save money?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SSCat2, Sep 15, 2019.

?

Would you consider rehoming your cat to save money?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SSCat2

SSCat2 PetForums Newbie

I have 2 cats, live alone and don’t make a lot of money at the moment. Doing my expenses made me realise that I’ve spent hundreds of £s on my two little beauties (which I personally wouldn’t trade for the world), but wondered if anyone has ever had to, or thought about rehoming their cat to save money? If so, what impact did that have on your life?

Soozi likes this.
  2. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Absolutely not!!! Only under completely dire circumstances eg I was unable to look after them properly! Some years ago I was on my own and struggling after a bad relationship with a horse and 2 cats to provide for. It wasn’t the animals who’s diet etc suffered - the last week of each month often consisted of cereal and toast for me though!

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'd look at every option for taking care of them if money was that tight.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

No. never.

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I suppose one never knows until you're faced with the situation. I've been in circumstances where money has been very tight but my pets would be the last thing on my list to give up.

6. Veronica Chapman

Veronica Chapman PetForums Member

Agree with everyone wholeheartedly.
    Food bank for Pets such as Scampers.co.uk may help. Good luck.

7. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat Friend

8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

It would have to be a case of loose the roof over our heads or seriously consider having to rehome before the idea would even be something to think about.
    To me pets are family, I would have to be in a very serious position to have to consider such an act.

#8 ForestWomble, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    crystalwitch, Calvine, Ali71 and 6 others like this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

...............never

crystalwitch and huckybuck like this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

crystalwitch and Soozi like this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What do you mean, to "save money"? You mean so you would spend less on the cat and have more to spend on yourself?

Or because you were so destitute it was either find a new home for the cat or let her starve?

I've been in the 2nd scenario, but friends took me in and fed both me and my cats until I got on my feet.

And yes, I have had cats that cost me thousands, either all at once, or over the course of their lives, I was happy to do without, to take care of them.

So my answer is no, never.

13. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Having read the other answers I feel I need to add that I would do anything to keep my pets, as I mentioned above they are family and mean more then everything to me. They come first so if it was between spending money on them or me, the answer would be them every time.
    However if I was faced with the awful choice of rehome them or end up on the streets, I would do everything I could first to keep them, but in the end their safety is most important.

14. TabbyMama92

TabbyMama92 PetForums Junior

I could never give up my fur baby - I know there's people out there that would say I'm silly but I would definitely prioritise her needs over mine. She's my family and I don't think I could ever forgive myself :(

15. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

No. Never. My animals are my family.

crystalwitch and jill3 like this.
  16. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

If you needed to save money would you give your children away? :eek:

17. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I think this question is being asked in the wrong place to be honest. A pet loving forum where I am sure most of us would never give up our pets. Finance is always a factor on most per owners mind to some degree. When getting a pet anyway, the savvy ones that is which I guess is the majority of this forum

I wouldn't berate anyone whose life threw them a curve ball and they truly couldn't keep there pets. It's usually because they love them deeply too..

However on the other hand we live in a throwaway society that pets happen to be part of that, need quick cash some people without a second thought sadly would.
    Rescues here all the true sad stories of those who have to give up their pets, and it's sad. Then they also hear all the excuses too.

crystalwitch, MilleD, Rufus15 and 2 others like this.
  18. Loren95

Loren95 PetForums Junior

One of my family members had two little dogs which they had rehomed when they were expecting a baby. Fast forward two years and they have just bought a new puppy because it will be ‘nice for the baby to grow up with a dog.’

I would never consider getting rid of my cats, unless I literally became homeless in which case I would hope that my family would take us in! It does make my eyes water when I think about how much I have spent on them (probably thousands)!

19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Sorry, had to re-read this (it's early hours, time for bed I think).

huckybuck and Bugsys grandma like this.
  20. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Strange I was walking up the garden last week and thought “if I didn’t have all these pets I’d be able to afford a nicer house..”. Then shrugged... “nah...”.

I wouldn’t rehome them to save money but I would look at rehoming them if their welfare was suffering because I hadn’t enough money... (there are plenty of other cuts to make before them though). The bunnies and cats are all rescues so any first call would be to them.

Hannah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice