Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you feed your cat the new hypoallergenic insect veterinary diet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by TriTri, Nov 21, 2020.

1. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

So I was looking at Hypoallergenic diets for cats and ordered these for Max to try. (He does have thing for grasshoppers :) I wasn’t sure if they qualified for the Cat Nutrition section :)
    So it seems they are in biscuit form, no crispy grasshoppers here, but as you can see, Max rather enjoyed them & was hoping for more, sos Max. F78FECE7-7776-4836-B97A-5879F47F06C6.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The "insect" formulation doesn't bother me but I wouldn't feed my cats a "veterinary diet" of any kind ever as they are notoriously poor quality, and I certainly would never feed a cat kibble.

3. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

4. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

There’s insect dog kibble too.
    Apparently very good for dogs with sensitivities.
    It’s also meant to be better for the environment.

Edit to add, I haven’t tried Lady dog on it, she’s scared of bugs generally so don’t think said be ok with eating them :confused:

#4 ebonycat, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That seems to be the catch phrase these days, you notice? Difficult to know how that might work out though. Regardless of ingredients, the protein still has to be produced, raised and fed properly, then slaughtered, and the entire product still has to be processed. How is it any different than any other pet feed product? :)

ebonycat likes this.
  6. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

That’s what I haven’t worked out fully yet either, I have the same issues with everything you’ve just said. It still has to be made etc.

lorilu likes this.
  7. Psygon

I've assumed that because rearing livestock for meat has a severe environmental impact that insect pet food is better because the impact of raising the insects is less when compared to raising livestock. I've assumed it's the fact they emit less greenhouse gasses.

I'm now off to find some info on if my assumption is correct!

TriTri, O2.0, lorilu and 1 other person like this.
  8. Psygon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_farming there is a bit of info here

ebonycat likes this.
  9. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

That’s what I read about it all.

10. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

But the animals that are bred for slaughter, for human consumption & for pet food etc will still be bred.
    As much as I would love to believe we could reduce our environmental impact regarding animal breeding & slaughter, I just can’t see it happening anytime soon.

11. Psygon

I suppose that's true. But I suppose you have to start somewhere. If the pet food industry accounts for 20% of all livestock farmed, and if consumers start switching away from meat based diets onto insect based diets then it would start to make a dent. Of course there would need to be enough choice for consumers for that to happen.

I suppose it's like other industries. Not that long ago you could t find things like shampoo bars that easily and everything came in a plastic bottle, but consumers are driving up the market and now shampoo bars are more common and lots of people are trying to move away from single use plastic.

Everything has to start somewhere.

TriTri and ebonycat like this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How could that be? Most pet feed is made with the waste product of farmed meat animals.

There is that. :) It's the dishonesty and false claims that get to me.

#12 lorilu, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    TriTri likes this.
  13. Psygon

It’s just something I read in a few articles just now

not sure if it’s true of course! I should have quoted the source.

14. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Very true.

When I was at school & went vegetarian everyone including my family thought I’d gone mad, completely against me doing it.
    Most dinners consisted of just the same as what my brothers were dished up but with the meat not on the plate.
    Now you can walk into a supermarket & buy a whole host of veggie/ vegan/ plant based foods.

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The thing is, claims like this never tell the whole story. Again, the pets are consuming the parts not fit for humans. So, in the event all humans decide to no longer eat farmed meat, well then having an insect pet food industry to fall back on would be a good thing.

For some reason the song "In the year 2525" keeps running through my head. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice