Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you buy this rescue book?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 2, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i hope this is in the right place! :)

i was a photography student, and for one of my projects i wanted to do it on rescue animals and hopefully help their plight! so several months ago i contacts my local rescue centre and i was able to capture a mixture of animals - from small furies like rabbits and hamsters to dogs and cats.

i edited the images in black and white to highlight the look in the animals eyes - i also thought it made the images look dramatic and showed that animals emotions off well!

you can see the images here!

rescue animals - a set on Flickr

i also decided to get some of the images printed in a 40 page book. so far there is only 2 books that exist

i had planned to raise fund for a rescue with one of the books - i shall explain more about that later!

before i consider doing that i would like to know if you saw this book in a shop would you buy it?

i want people to actually want the book in the first place before i even think about raising funds for a rescue.

this is the book in question!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

My tuppence... your photos are amazing! I think you've got what you set out to do there. However to buy or not to buy... hmmm... as an artistic book maybe but personally i don't think i would. If it showed maybe a before and after or gave a little story, i think it'd do well and show the good work that's being done and give you a broader customer base. But to see lots of sad abandoned dogs page after page would be a little heartwrenching...

3. GSDlover4ever

i think thats what is keeping me back from even publishing it!

i would have liked to get a before and after shot of the dog - but the rescue didn't want to do anything like that, think it might have been to much work - especially since they have 60 kennels.

for my other project i based it on the "nasty" breeds - that are on the news etc....
    such as GSD's, rotties, staffies - i wanted to take pics of akitas, bull terriers etc.... as well and basically prove the media wrong - that they are not all nasty monsters.
    i also wanted to basethe images of rescue dogs of these breeds!

luckily enough i was able to take picsures of 5 GSD's (my own GSD was included) 11 rottweilers, a few x breeds and three staffies :)

the majorityof the dogs i photographed were rescue dogs :)
    i was even able to capture the rotties doing agility and OB work :)

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

You have captured their plight brilliantly in these photos. Eyes are the window to the soul and who could resist those. I would buy the book as long as like it was said before there was an explanation of who they are and what happened after...well done...I think they are brilliant.

5. r_neupert

Yeh, well i think it currently has it's place for the art lovers. But I think people who would buy it in mass would be people interested in helping rescues out and want to see a happy story - and i think to be faced with the problem that we as society have created would be probably difficult to sell :confused:

Can you re-do it with a smaller selection of dogs which you can follow through? I can't see why a rescue would be adverse to this - unless you selected a smaller rescue centre who you could deal with a little more personally?

6. GSDlover4ever

the reason why their is no name and no history about the dogs is becasue the majority of them where strays and had no history or name!

and rather than make it personal by nameing them all, i wanted to show that it isn't just these animals that are in rescue centres - they are millions of them thoughout the world!

i hope that makes sence! :)

7. GSDlover4ever

Oh it was a large rescue I chose, I think it was because they were busy.

The rescue in question was also funny about me posting any images on the internet that came from there rescue!
    At the time they actually demanded that I take them all of the internet!

So overall I wouldn't go to them again to take photographs!

also it would be quite difficult to take photographs of dogs before and after - for instance I might select specific dogs and there new owners might not want to participate in any images of their new pet. So overall it could take forever to get before and after images of the dogs to fill a book!

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You're a really good photographer those poor animals.

9. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Yes I know what you mean and you did it well...have a nice week and take care :)

10. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

I think its realllly good book, as other people have said I think its an amazing book, and amazing photography. I see where you are coming from aswel, about there are lot of dogs... just a little thing, it might be good to do a breed specific dog rescue, and then maybe you could do loads of different small breed books? I'm sure they would love the publicity aswel :)

11. r_neupert

Hey how about photos of rescue dogs in the kennels in black and white, then a colour one on a walk, or being played with etc or in foster - from rags to riches. Then it could be all done from one rescue centre, with no worries about a new owner not wanting to participate?

You definately have something there - it shouldn't be shelved!!!

12. GSDlover4ever

but then if it is breed specific - then the overall output is narrowed down even more - basically to people who rescue and people who own that breed of dog.

13. GSDlover4ever

that what i had planned to do at the beggining but it is easier said than done lol :eek:hmy:

14. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Mmmmm true! Well I would buy it anyway! I collect all sorts of dog books :)

15. r_neupert

I think if you are at a giant rescue with loads of red tape and a million dogs it will be difficult. If you choose a small local rescue centre that has say 20 dogs, and you work with those ones it should be easier.

Can't say i've been to loads of rescue centres, but the smaller ones will no doubt bend over backwards to help you as you will potentially be bringing them some money to support them, and that money will be valued VERY highly to them.

On the subject, there was a Dogs Trust stand in my shopping centre, and i asked them what i could do to help, whether it be walking/fostering or adopting etc etc and they weren't interested in the slightest - all the wanted was my bank details so i could sponsor a random dog who probably doesn't even need a home.

16. GSDlover4ever

sadly i dont know of any small rescues near me - they are all big rescues!
    such as dogs trust and SSPCA.

with regards to my second project that i did for college - with the rotties, GSD's etc.... - i chose these breeds, basically to prove that they are not all nasty.
    i emailed every rescue local to me, some further a feild - stating what i wanted to do.
    hardly any of them replied back - which i thought was quite sad.

i did go away up to fife rottie rescue and i was able to take pics of 11 rotties from their. 10 of them were rescues and some of them were still up for addoption!
    the people their were really helpfull and totally addored their dogs - i would love to go their again.

another problem with me going further a feild to the smaller resues is the fact i dont drive, so i have to relie on public transport.

i will always be intrested in highlighting the plea of rescue animals - so hopefully it wont be an issue when i get my own car and am able to drive :)

17. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

There should be more centers round you, you prob just don't know about thm, try googling rescue centers in ur area.

Oh n fantastic piks BTW, I'd buy it.:D

18. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Firstly, i love the pics you took, very thought prevoking. Secondly i think if you take the suggestions made and also made it a small paperback book, not too overly expensive so more people would be willing to buy it for a good cause. A little bit of background history goes down well, people like to hear how they get on good or bad, its all part of the story behind the photos. hope you can work something out, i think its a real worthwhile cause.

19. GSDlover4ever

i know of three that are near me - 2 of them are big ones such as SSPCA and dogs trust.

when doing previous project dogs trust and the small rescue didn't even respond - even though i was going to highlight the plea of their dogs.

i shall google rescue sin my area - you never know they might be some new ones opened up :)

oh btw this is the other image si took - of happy rescue dogs!
    if you click on the thumb nail it will be a bigger image!

Happy Rescue Dogs - a set on Flickr

check out the rotties doing the agility :)

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The photos are very good on the whole, and you have chosen the best one for the cover. The B+W work best, but looking at the page of thumbnails the bars/angle of view (most looking down on the dog) it gets a bit samey. Have you tried getting down to floor/dog level? I would look through the book in a shop but not buy it - just too depressing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice