Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you be happy with this?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by JordanRose, Nov 5, 2012.

1. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Hello, me again! :eek:

As you know, I'm thinking of eventually getting an MC; they are simply wonderful! :001_wub: As I'm not ready for a kitten yet, though, would you as breeders be happy for me to come and view your cats?

I was thinking of contacting a breeder who's very close to me (as recommended by messyhearts- thank you!), to see if I could pop round and see their coonies in the flesh. I would like to see just how big these beauties get, and gauge whether their temperament really is right for me and most importantly, for Spooks. If so, I'd maybe ask about their waiting list :D

I would be able to ask them questions about their care, as well, and discuss my intentions with them. I was just wondering if this is 'the done thing', or if I'd come across as a bit weird :blush:

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

most breeders would be happy for you to visit and be sure mc's are for you.
    remember the breeder will also want to ask you just as many questions so they know their kittens are going to the right homes.
    contact the breeders and ask, sadly im too far away from you otherwise you could have cuddled my cats.
    good luck.:)

3. lisajjl1

lisajjl1 PetForums Member

I think you might have problems getting away once you are cuddling the cats and their breeder is chatting about them!

Speaking from experience I am always happy for people to come round and see my Siamese, although not the tiny kittens due to risk of infection etc but I can be hard to get away from once I get going on my Siamese stories....I have twenty years worth in reserve!!!!:smile:

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I think that is the perfect way to do it.

5. JordanRose

Thank you for confirming that- I didn't want to send the email and look like a weirdo just wanting to stroke her cats :lol: If anything, I'd like to think it shows that I think things through properly and take pet ownership very seriously- it's not something you can just go into on a whim.

I saw some MCs at the Manchester cat show, but I couldn't see them interacting with other cats, playing and generally pottering around if you get what I mean? Seeing them in a home environment would help me gauge their temperament much better :)

Will get the email sorted! Exciting!! :D

6. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

I'm so glad someone else is going through what I'm doing right now :D It sounds silly but I'm so nervous lol.

I'm visiting my first breeder tomorrow and I'm going to be bricking it lol. I'm also very excited, but I just want to come across friendly and normal. I hope she likes me!

How are you going to choose who to go and see? Are you going to focus on distance first do you think? Maybe we can compare notes as we go about adding one of these stunning cats to our families! :)

7. JordanRose

Yes, I will be looking at distance first of all (and of course will only visit breeders who I feel are ethical and genuine!)- a PF member has recommended one to me who is actually not far from where I work and would only require a 10 minute bus ride :thumbup: I'm told she's also the chair of the Maine Coon cat club, so clearly knows her stuff!

I doubt I'll have any concerns about this one, but if I was to have any I'd look further afield at others. This breeder produces a lot of colours and as I'm not all too bothered about colouring it's more the ethics and distance I'd be looking at :)

8. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Oh, you simply HAVE to share who it is now. I'm well curious!!! (and nosey :p)

9. JordanRose

10. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'd be delighted if someone asked to visit simply because they were considering the breed. Much better than the kitten visit I had where someone who had never even owned a cat thought they could just turn up and buy a pedigree kitten. They told me they had 'researched' and my breed was good for families. I'm afraid research stretches a bit further than seeing one page of one website on the internet as far as I'm concerned :rolleyes:

11. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

both great choices of breeders.
    you will have some fun playing with their cats.:)

12. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Aww I could never choose between those 2 - would want both!!! :tongue_smilie: :001_wub::001_wub:

13. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Most definitely would want someone to meet my guys!!

I'm sure you'll be very welcome if you ask. :)

14. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

That little tortie girl is an absolute cracker :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

15. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Want to see a Darktower? ;)

[​IMG]

16. JordanRose

Oh WOW!! :001_tt1: What an absolute beauty!!

17. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Oohhh.. I've been to Dark Tower's website before! Little far from me though.

The Mackerel and white boy on Katmea's site is a jaw dropper! I just LOVE that amount of white. They're both lovely looking kittens. Nicely sized muzzles.

18. JordanRose

Just sent an email to Darktower (I'll see if they'll let me visit first, as I'll be too tempted at Katmea with those two scrummy babies!! :eek:)- will let you know what they say :thumbup:

19. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice