Would you be annoyed if it was your child?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Misslauren, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misslauren

Misslauren PetForums Newbie

I teach year 2 and don't let children go to the toilet during lessons. Last week a girl told me she was going to pee in my bin when I said no.

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

How old is Y2?

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Why will you not allow such young children to use the bathroom?

I find that unreasonable. Surely, if a child has the need to use the toilet, he/she should be able to do so?

4. Misslauren

6, they have ample times and playtime and lunch.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

But they don't always need to go then. Do you manage to go on demand? I don't.

I had this issue with my son's Y3 teacher made worse by the fact she would also ridicule any child that asked.

She did that to my son.

One boy had the added embarrassment of wetting himself in front of his classmates.

I went into school and spoke to her about her unreasonable behaviour/expectations. She apologized there and then to me and my son and again to my son in front of the class and changed her attitude there and then.

If she hadn't I would have made a formal complaint.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think it's unreasonable that you're so rigid about it.

In Summer, for example, children may drink more and find themselves needing the bathroom between playtime and lunchtime. A child could have a slight tummy upset and need to use the toilet more frequently.

If a child is distracted by the need to use the bathroom, he/she isn't really going to be focused on what you're trying to teach.

7. petventure

petventure PetForums Member

I'd be annoyed that my 6/7 year old couldn't go to the toilet if they needed it.
    I've never been declined use of a toilet as an adult in work, regardless of breaks.
    Can cause problems in later life having to unneccesarily hold the toilet, especially when the bladder and bowels are still maturing as children.

I'd go as far as saying I'd be fuming they were not allowed to go

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would be annoyed if any child of mine was prevented from using the toilet facilities by a jobsworth.

Children at that age can easily have an accident - something that could have a huge impact on their self confidence etc.

Find it weird that you have joined a PET forum to ask a parent/teacher question.

9. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

My son is 6, he has mild autism and often doesn't recognise that he needs to use the toilet until he's desperate. He was only recently diagnosed, and many kids with mild forms of conditions such as autism, adhd or dyspraxia etc aren't diagnosed until later. There could be a reason why she wasn't able to use the toilet during set break times.

stockwellcat. and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with the above, different when they're at secondary school maybe. Adequate hydration is important for small children, and with that comes the need to urinate. Supressing urination is bad for the kidneys due to back-pressure too.
    I would be most upset if this was any of my grandchildren and would complain to the Head Teacher.
    Also it seems an odd first post for a Pet Forum !

#10 SusieRainbow, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yeah.... at 6 years old children don't always know they need the toilet until they really need it. So I would be annoyed with you at not letting them go. Seems an unnecessary rule to me.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Misslauren

Of course any child who has a note from their doctor are permitted.

13. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

[QUOTE="Nonnie, post: 1065010324, member: 20098].

Find it weird that you have joined a PET forum to ask a parent/teacher question.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking the same!

stockwellcat. likes this.
  14. petventure

Thank goodness my child doesn't have you as their teacher, I'm going to take a wild stab in that dark that you don't have children. :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont have kids, i dont even like them, but i find it extremely unreasonable, bordering on cruel and controlling.

If someone needs to go to the toilet, regardless of age, they should be allowed to go.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I find it wrong that a child has to be suffering from a medical condition, certified by their GP, before you will allow them to answer a call of nature.

It reminds me of the draconian treatment handed out to my generation as children a very long time ago.

Do you also still favour ritual roastings and floggings in a Billy Bunter style?

17. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Where did the OP post this from, 1972? I say that because that was the year I started school and a early and vivid memory (after the warm and sour third pints of milk) was kids peeing their pants. I thought teachers were a bit more enlightened these days.

18. Misslauren

No children, the longest they have to wait is a couple of hours and if they have been at break not that long. I don't think asking a child to hold their wee until break is asking too much.

19. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

Seems like a sensible child to me.

Given that they needed to wee and weren't ablecto to go to the loo, choices were carpet or bin. Which would you prefer to clean up?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. petventure

Oh I'm not implying that everyone who doesn't have children shares these views, even if I didn't have children I'd still feel the same way myself.
    Just in most cases the people who don't think children should be allowed to go to the toilet, generally dont have much experience with children

Lurcherlad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.