Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you as a dog owner.......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shetlandlover, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Let your dogs offlead in a field full of horses?
    If yes what would be your conditions?
    If no state why?

After our horrid "attack" we were waiting at the train station which has fields around it and 1 field we walk regularly is full of horses. We watched a couple go in with their 2 dogs offlead and 1 dog was dead set on chasing the horses and running under the horses. In the end the horses all moved from one half of the field to the next half just because of this 1 dog and the owners didnt try and stop it.:(

2. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let my dogs off the lead unless I could be sure they wouldn't chase the horses.

Not fair to the horses!

3. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I would never let murphy off near a horse but when I walk my aunties dog I do let him off , he's about 13 though and doesn't run , just plods along enjoying his walk :)

He's the only one I would ever let off (that I walk/know) just because I know that not in a million years would he go after the horses , I would put him on the lead if they got too close though , in case the horses get spooked by him

4. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

I have known a really well trained nice horse kick out at a dog unexpectedly - so for the dogs sake they need to be close to the owner and under control, although not neccesarily on a lead - as with cows perhaps if a horse starts doing the chasing they are better off being able to run away rather than being on lead...

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

No, I wouldn't let Bailey off.
    I wouldn't want him to bother any horses as it's unfair to them.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Most certainly not. One well aimed kick from a shod horse can kill.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would let Dave off because he doesn't have any interest in them. (depending on the horse of course, if it was one that will run around by him or is scared then no)
    We use to take him in the field with the horse in the village where I use to live and he never batted an eyelid (neither of them did)
    I would not let Dixie off even on the other side of the fence because she is very curious of them and then gets scared so they run off and she wants to chase.

8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

No. Our eldest dog would be scared of them and bark and the youngest would probably wander up to them for a sniff and I wouldn't want to put him at risk. We walk past cows with our youngest sometimes, he stays on lead then too. If a dog had been brought up around them and could be trusted, I don't see the harm at all, but those owners sound irresponsible.

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

If I new I was allowed to go into the field I would.. My dogs apart from Bobby have grown up around horses...

Regularly going to the field with me also when I catch my horse and bring it in.. also going out riding with me...

But if I didn't know If I was allowed I wouldn't bother..

Lets also just say if a dog walker went into a field where my horse was and let there dogs chase my horse round.. well.. Use your imagination.. :)

But then again.. many footpaths go through or around fields with horses in.. But that does not mean your dog is allowed to chase the horses..

There aren't many fields in my area I wouldn't be allowed in.. :)

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldnt let any dog off in a field with horses or any sort of farm or livestock, dogs being dogs having hardwired instincts, personally I wouldnt like to risk it. One slip up or lapse and both dog and horses could be injured.
    Either from the horses fleeing or the dog getting kicked and injured or worse.

There must be plenty of places to let a reliable re-call dog to run free without livestock so why go and court trouble.

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'd only trust my Westie and Mastiff, they've flawless recall and a rock solid off-lead walk to heel. Wouldn't trust the pup, he'd want to play with them, and the Greyhounds would give chase- probably delighted with the fact they had found something that could run as fast as them!

12. We walk the fields regularly were this happened and there is always horses in the fields however we only ever let Scorcher off lead and she's never interested in horses, sheep or cows. When the horses are at one end of the field we use the other end...never ever go near the horses incase one of the dogs barks and scares them. I have yet to go say hi face to face with the horses because I always have the dogs and refuse to go near the horses.

I never let the shelties off in fields were there are farm animals.

13. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

Your mention of shelties and cows reminded me that a lady and several of her shelties was killed in a field of cows (by the cows) a few years back - many local people were very shocked as she was well known as a local dog walker and had used the same fields regularly.

14. Aye sadly it happens.

I never let my lot offlead near farm animals because they herd each other let alone cows, horses and sheep so I would rather not risk it. Haha.

My OH sat there watching that dog chase the horses and said "I dont want to watch, its going to end up dead".

Poor fella didnt know what to do.

15. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

My dog is ok with horses but i would never let him off lead in a field of horses that i didnt know

16. Nope! I always leash mine when there are horse around - not saying they would do anything but don't want to take the risk! besides - they could be kicked! There are however horses and sheep at the farm when we are away and they do not seem to bother with them! T'is just the damd chickens that they catch (embarassed face)

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I live next to a livery, both my dogs, and any others that come to me, are used to horses and ponies. Would I let them off lead in a field with the same horses and ponies? NOOO, would I chuffin heck? What happens through the fence is an entirely different thing to what would happen with an off lead dog and a loose horse/pony in a field, and I hope any dog walker has the insurance to cover them if they think it's ok. I was told, by one of the livery people, that if I could clone Indie, they'd have a dozen of her, after meeting them out on a hackl Indie is just adamant that every other animal or human out on her walks, is there to make friends with!!! Would I trust her off lead, no, for both her safety and that of the horses/ponies, and she's particularly bomb proof....

18. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

The dogs were offlead at the park the other day and a horse walked by. Was Jack's first time of seeing a horse so he thought some massive dog was walking near him. Luckily it was across the river so he couldn't get to it but he had then realised he can get in the river to swim.. :rolleyes:

But no I'd never have a dog offlead near any kind of animal in a field. Just don't know what would happen

19. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just to show how bomb proof Iddie B is with the horses/ponies....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even so, that's over a wall, and I wouldn't EVER let her do the same within a field unless with the express permission of the owner of the horses'ponies.

#19 Sleeping_Lion, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  20. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

no way marley is scared of horses and cows lol he probably wouldn't go near them but he would probably bark and scare them. He has only ever seen a horse once and he was shaking and growled as it went past.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice