Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would this cage be suitable for gerbils?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by DeadLee, Apr 9, 2017.

1. DeadLee

DeadLee PetForums Member

Hello,

Always had hamsters but I am thinking of getting some gerbils. Would this cage filled deep with wood shavings be suitable for gerbils? If so, would it be for a pair or could a trio use this?

It's a hamster heaven attached to another cage with the platform changed and lots of extra bits.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I am afraid not, sorry.

Gerbils are expert gnawers and could gnaw their way out of that. Gerbilariums are best for Gerbils, or at least a glass tank with plenty of room to climb and jump and dig.

3. DeadLee

DeadLee PetForums Member

Thanks very much, I'll invest in a new cage when the time is right then.

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Your welcome, to give you an idea this is the gerbilarium I have:

[​IMG]

There are two sizes and it's called the Falco, I got mine from zooplus.co.uk.
    I got the smaller one and it was home to two gerbils, when I was researching I read somewhere (though can not say how correct the info was so please do your own research as sizing guidelines might of changed or the website I read was wrong) that the smaller one can be home to up to 4 gerbils and the bigger one 6.
    I would however recommend you only get 2 gerbils as they are less likely to fight then a group and I found having 2 was great, They bonded with each other and they played, groomed each other and were all together a great pair.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice