Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would there be any point

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky10, May 27, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

In building a kennel and run for the rare times Buster's left alone for a few hours rather than him being crated so he has access to outside? He wouldn't be in it at night time or outside all day anything like that

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

When I finally move out, I want to build a run to the "dogs" room, so that when we are out they can come and go as they please but it's secure, and can go in and out as they please.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's not really possible at the minute so a secure warm kennel is probably the best

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Is Buster destructive?
    Bella has full run of every single room and every single floor of our house (and we have 3 floors). WHen we are out I ask her to go to bed, and I always find her on her bed when we get back. I don't know if she even moves at all, but I like knowing she can stretch her legs if she wants to.

if for whatever reason you can't give Buster the run of the house, the kennel doesn't sound like a bad idea at all:) WOuld just have to get him used to it slowly as it would be a new experience for him!

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

No just prefers sleeping in his crate when we're gone. It's more giving him the chance to go outside if need be

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

That's why we want to build a run once we're both out of parent's houses.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Well I'm exactly in your predicament then.
    Also rarely ever leave Bella alone. But I would never leave her in the garden when we are not home, so end up closing her inside only. Feels a bit cruel closing her indoors when the weather is nice. Bella only toilets on walk so it wouldnt help much for this purpose...

Anyway, I'm not sure what to advise you, but I think it could work:)

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I think it would. I wouldn't want him locked out all day or over night or anything just when we're not there or any people that don't like dogs come over

9. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Ive thought about this for when i get my pup (obviously not while hes a puppy but next summer)

He will be left alone two times a week for approx 3 hours so i thought about putting a bed in my daughters playhouse and all his toys an leaving the door open for him.

The garden is completly secure so he wouldnt be able to get out and nothing can get in.

Other thing ive thought of is a dog flap!

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm hopefully getting a giant schnauzer next year so a dog flap wouldn't really work

11. Joolz1975

My neighbour has one for his HUGE husky!!! problem is it was that big a burglar got in through it!

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I would, if I could afford it - not necessarily for my dog although it would be nice for him if I was out for the day.

But it could be used to have friends' dog/s here in emergencies or holidays, or take in an emergency rescue, and I could make it dual-purpose so suitable for cat/s as well (same reasons). Just think it would be useful. Could always keep chickens in it if I never use it!

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Lol see that would be the problem.

Yeah could put in another run alongside it for a cat if I get one. I think it could be useful and better for him

14. Joolz1975

Im not that worried about burglars my house is so secure (2 smack heads broke into my house a few years ago whilst me and my son were in our beds asleep, was scary) so now my house and garden is like fort knox, i dont think anyone could get around the back of my house id prob actually feel safe leaving back door open for dog to wander in and out.

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Mine isn't really secure and Buster makes a really bad guard dog. He'd bark and then roll over for a belly rub

16. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I used to have a large dog run and kennel in my garden... Peace of mind.. I new my kids friends could come round and the dogs were safe lol.. Plus I could hang my washing out and pop the dogs in the run.. I used to have a dog that would steal my washing off the line (little beggar) lol.

In this house i dont need one, my garden isn't very big and the dogs own it!:eek6:

17. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

In my opinion, it doesn't sound like you necessarily need one if he is rarely alone and when he is then he is happy in his crate. If Buster is housetrained then he will know he should be waiting until you come home before he can relieve himself. That's just how I see it, and it might unsettle him from routine and what he already knows by letting him outside to toilet when you're not there with him.

18. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

We have got decking that is enclosed on 3 sides by fencing and we have built a gateway onto it,for Alfie to use when we are out,so he can have a runabout,but it also serves the purpose that we can eat in peace if we need to and he can be on the other side of it.I thought if we put a dog run in,thats all it will ever be,but this way,its a multi purpose space.

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

He loves kids coming over but if they don't like dogs he's put in the kitchen. Luckily he's too little to steal clothes off the line.

He barks to go out anyway and he's out on his own. he is good about waiting rarely have an accident but I don't think it would change it too much.

That sounds good.

20. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I want one for Brams.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice