Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would teaching a dog to whine reinforce the behaviour?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daggre, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

I would like to teach star to whine on command (so that when she is doing limp i can add sound effects)

However, i have triggers- when i go upstairs she'll make a noise (she's not anxious or anything, just loves having attention) but I am worried if I start clicking the behaviour it will make her whine more even after she's learnt the trick.

I don't know wheather to give it a go or not..or if it just isn't a good idea?

2. aloevera

aloevera PetForums Member

I would give it a go. I mean with any trick you teach a dog, they start to naturally do more often. My puppy, instead of sitting down next to me whilst I eat, she is sitting there begging :lol::lol::lol:

But I think if you could master the whining then the trick would be pretty awesome! good luck! :thumbup::thumbup:

3. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

She does it anyway...normally a good 'shut up' down the stairs makes her be quiet xD

But once she's mastered the trick..i suppose I could teach her 'quiet' as a command (she doens't know it because normally we just use a tone of voice and words such as 'shh' or 'shut up', and she only barks once for speak)
    Then i could reinforce not whining more anyway.
    Mind you whining is preferable to barking...she hardly ever barks, she howls when she does which is rare...stoopid dog :)

4. aloevera

aloevera PetForums Member

Ahaha, well I guess its the same as barking :L if you want your dog to stop barking, you would have to teach it to bark on command then teach it to stop on command :p :thumbup:

Good luck though :D x

5. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

True, I'll give it ago then!

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice