Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would like to help!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by superstar038, May 29, 2010.

1. superstar038

superstar038 PetForums Junior

When i was about 6 years old my father bought me my first pair of female rats, i named them Skip and Twitch, we were inseperable. Obviously due to a rats general lifespan they are not still with me. Since then i have never been without rat in my life, i love them.

Anyway last week my Big Boy, Merlin passed away, he was given to me by someone who no longer wanted him and lived with us happily for a year and a half before he passed away in his sleep.

So since rats are difficult to rehome (everyone wants the baby one you see in the shops) i thought i'd see if anyone needs to rehome a few rats as i have an empty cage at the moment.

I live in the southwest and currently have two old (3 yrs old) girly rats, Misty and Pepper. I hear about these awful stories within in the art rescue community and would love to help out.

All the best K

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

It's great you've decided to rescue, 3 weeks ago we rescued 2 lovely boys called Lennon & Irwin & they are wonderful:)
    We got Lennon & Irwin from here
    Home

& there have been a couple of massive rat rescues recently undertaken here. Nim would be the one to contact on here, if you send her a PM she should get back to you:)
    Ratscallions

3. superstar038

Thanks, i live down in Wiltshire and there doesn't seem to be much going on (rat wise) down this way, which makes it difficult to help.
    I will contact the sites to see if i can help in anyway though

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You could also try getting in touch with the animal rescues such as the RSPCA or Blue Cross to see if they need foster carers for rats, I did a quick Google search & there doesn't seem to be any rescues specifically for rats in your area

5. superstar038

No there isn't any specifically for rats, which is a shame, but perhaps i will try RSPCA, i won't hold my breath on them though. Thanks though

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Oooh another white gsd and rat owner yay :thumbup:, hope you find some nice rattys to rescue and then we can get to see the piccies:D.

7. superstar038

Ha ha yes my white GSD Echo is quite a handful, but you can't help but love him!

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Dont worry they grow out of that sillyiness, Im sure by the time Henrick is 9 or 10 he will have calmed down:lol:

9. superstar038

Good lord don't say that! i have two youngsters i was hoping in a few years time i might be able to have some peace. Larger than life personalities my two are, as are most shepherds! wouldn't be without all my pets though, ratties included.:001_cool:

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

lol our 2 girl GSDs are nearly 7 & we don't get much peace:D

11. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

i can third that on the gsd side!!
    blade is a little big hairy terror but has clamed down no end.they usually mature at the age of 3yrs or should i say ment to!!:D

12. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

p.s welcome to pf xx

13. superstar038

Thanks, i've got a fair few years left then before mine will settle down then :lol:

14. superstar038

So...... i emailed a few places offering any help etc....

And Nothing,

Oh well, i'll keep trying

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice