Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would It Be Possible...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

...To ban all sales of puppies betwen certain months, ie; October -End of January....to try to avoid the number of unwanted Xmas presents?
    Obviously breeding would have to be done at certain times of the year, but im sure something like this would be a great help in cutting down pups as presents.

Any thoughts?

I just cannot stand to see a whole load of posts on here - and out and about in general - about animals needing new homes as were bought as unwanted gifts.

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I started a similar thread in the breeding section, but was told that it depends when the bitch comes into season. :(

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

YOu would probably end up with people still having pups and thed get dumped anyway if there was no one to purchus them. Its a no win as people would still breed and sell them some how. I can see your point though as to many dogs and other animals are dumped when the novelity has worn off.

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

what about birthday gifts throughout the year? ;)

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah I would that not every bitch is going to convieniently go into season when you want her to so you can't ban breeding in certain months because that could be the only time some breeds go into season. Besides ban it or not people would still have puppies then.

6. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Well this would be a problem for people like me.... Because December is the perfect time for me to get my pup, Because i am going away for a month at Christmas time, and we are moving right now, so we were planning to get a pup after we go on holiday, during the holidays. So im not to sure if this would be a good idea, well not this year atleast! :p

7. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

I know it would cause problems, I just feel we need to do something as every year the same numbers of dogs are left unwanted.

Feeling frustrated today!

8. Sounds good in theory. A bit like only being able to shoot certain game at certain times of the year!
    BUT! I don’t think that it could possibly work and the the people who would suffer most would be the genuine breeders who breed to produce their own stock or to better the breed! Reason being depending on what time of year these dogs came into season they could be forced to keep excess puts from the litter until they were as old as 12 weeks! This would entail a lot of extra work their would also be a good chance that these pups would not be adequately socializaed.
    As for the type of people that we would be trying to stop! Those that sell pups as Christmas presents, they would find a way around it as they have not morals anyway!
    Regards
    DT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice