Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would I make a successful Wildlife Photographer/Videographer?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Chillinator, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Ever since I was 5-years old I've been obsessed with wildlife, especially fish. I would spend hours watching the wildlife series by naturalists like David Attenborough; blissful childhood memories! :D

As many of you know the other love in my life is photography. I've been pondering over the idea for the last few weeks as to whether I should try to become a professional photographer/videographer. I have the equipment I need, I have a fairly wide breadth of biological knowledge and my A-level tutors say I have good prospects for Uni. I've been reading books on the subject and looking at the work of other wildlife photo/videographers and I'm very keen on the idea.

My mom seems to be very supportive of it, she just keeps telling me to follow my dream. I don't know where to start yet but I'm going to start asking people. My A-level biology tutor (also a professional photographer) has given me some very good advice and a few pointers just to get my started in the right direction.

The question of the day is: does anybody on here think I could even stand a chance in something like this? I understand perfectly that pro photography is a very competitive, dog-eat-dog world and the pay is cr@p, the latter of which I'm not concerned about since I know that I'd rather have a career that I enjoy than be interested in the amount of money I get thrown at me.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom folks? My brain is full to bursting at this point.

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Nahh I think you'd suck ;) :lol:

Im jokinggg :D

I think if you really think you can do it go for it and give it a try, you'll never know unless you try it :) GOOD LUCK if you do :D

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

yes ,do it

4. Elmo the Bear

Elmo the Bear PetForums VIP

The key thing is to build up a portfolio... doesn't matter if you're just filming worms in the garden, birds, your dog or cat etc.... that is what commissioning companies look for.

There is little or no 'employment' doing this so everyone is freelance os you need to have something original , develop an original style but learn the basics... rules of filming etc (I only know about film/video not stills.)

Once you have some good work splice together the best bits and start posting stuff on sites like Vimeo... many people I know have got work from people noticing their stuff on there.

You don't need an expensive camera... a colleague got commissioned from work filmed on a stills camera (HD movies from a Canon)... its all about content.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

One of the best pieces of advice I've received all day. :D

I know a few people in this field post videos on YouTube and sign up to YouTube's revenue sharing, a few are lucky enough to get signed up professionally after certain companies spot their work.

I'm certainly applying to Uni to study a course in a Biological Science field, to make sure that I do have a degree to fall back on if I need it. I'm also hoping that such a degree would open up opportunities to photograph/film wildlife.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice