Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would I be an evil person for not doing anything about this cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Nicholas oliphant, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Nicholas oliphant

Nicholas oliphant PetForums Newbie

My dog passed away recently from cancer. The anxiety through out the years while I had her were almost unbearable. I loved her though. I miss her everyday. I moved into my mothers house about 6 months ago from a bad living situation. Of course she had an old outdoor cat. It looked healthy, but I freaked out, and spent a bunch of money on her at the vet. It turned out she has hyperthyroidism. My mother agreed to start giving her medication for that, and I was planning on taking the cat to get a wellness check here and there. Anyways, I was going to move into my dads for a while, so I dont have to stress about my moms cat anymore, and I also dont get along with her boyfriend. I started moving my stuff into my dads today. I noticed he had cat food by his front door. I asked if he got a cat. He said it was the previous owners cat(an old couple who passed away) he said it only comes up for a few minutes to eat every couple days. My heart just sank. Another animal I'm going to worry about. I saw a glimpse of the cat today. It looked pretty healthy, but old. I think the cat is legally my dads responsibility since he feeds it. I knows hes never gonna take it to the vet though, but I guess he kind enough to feed it. He told me he looks at cats as kind of rats, and all rats die a natural death, and no one takes them to the vet. So would it be wrong to just not worry about this cat, and let it do it's own thing. My dad said if it causes me too much anxiety then we can take it to the humane society. That is if we can get it into a carrier. It doesnt like us to touch it. It is only interested in food.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Have you been in touch with Cats Protection League?
    They may be able to trap/take it, if it’s been abandoned.

3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

I think there are two issues here, ensuring the animals are cared for and treating your anxiety.

It must be exhausting to feel this level of stress. Are you getting treatment?

As for the cat at your dads, it sounds like this arrangement has worked for the cat. Would your dad let the cat live in the house if it wanted? For exam0 set up a cosy sleeping area and see if it settles?

You could also chat to an animal charity (not sure if your in the uk) and see if they can recommend anything else to make the cats life more comfortable.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I think if the cat is happy with the feeding arrangement then you can worry slightly less. As we're coming into winter, why don't you make a shelter for it where it can stay warm and dry as the weather gets worse? Have a look on Pinterest and Google, there are loads of cheap ideas.

In terms of getting the cat to the vet, yes ideally it needs to see a vet to get the all clear. You could continue to feed it and gain its trust over time

5. Nicholas oliphant

No, I've never been to a therapist. I feel that if there were no animals in my life, then my anxiety would simply vanish. Of course I would still experience everyday anxiety like everyone else, but not to this extent. I think asking my dad to let the cat live inside is out of the question. I know my dad as already annoyed about how much I care about animals. I know how to help the cat, but I wont be able to help it without potentially ruining my relationship with my dad. My dad told me that I need to just completely ignore the cats and stop worrying but I cant. But back to the main question. Would I be a terrible person if I were to just follow my dads advice, and stand by while the cat gets hyperthyroid or something? Surely I would be...

6. Nicholas oliphant

I literally cant do any of that without my dad having a cow. I think it would be best if we took it to the humane society

7. Nicholas oliphant

I dont think they have one of those here. All we have is a humane society.

8. Heather***

Heather*** PetForums Newbie

Just wanted to suggest that the cat is only visiting your dad for food every couple of days, then quite likely it has other food sources and people looking out for it in the neighbourhood too. It might be worthwhile making a few enquiries locally (I recently photocopied a note and dropped it through letterboxes in my immediate neighbourhood to try and verify the homeless status of a local cat, which was relatively cheap and yielded a couple of helpful calls). If it seems to be doing ok for now and your anxiety is getting too much for you, please don't feel bad about taking a step back from it all though, for your own sake. All the best xx

Scouttie, Soozi and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice