Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would blinkers help?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Keeley57, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Keeley57

Keeley57 PetForums Newbie

Hi my story is very long so ill try make it as quick as poss.. Well I brought my 13.1 Appaloosa mare in may 2011.. She was very nervous and skinny after being passed around the uk going threw auctions.. I got her back couldn't get near her.. I'd give her a treat she would snatch it and run back to the corner of her stable.. I persisted with getting her used to me and it worked she's now VERY loyal to ME only! I was pregnant when I got her so I couldn't break her.. My friend helped break her she was very calm settled and pretty lazy she wouldn't try and do as less as possible.. She enjoyed her work then in September I sold her to my cousin as I'd just had my baby and she was being wasted she was hacking out with a 8 year old girl and mum walking beside her.. She was then found to be in foal at around march time of this year so work stopped and she foaled in may 2012.. She was a good mum and was lunged a few times then the 8 year old rode her in the school with her mum mucking out( she was out of sight) couple mins later my cousin had fell off.. And the mare running round in a major panic! She calmed down but the girl wouldn't get back on.. So I then bought her back she still had her foal who was then 5 months old (the foals not mine) 2 weeks after I had bought her back she got hypocalcemia and had to be rushed to the vets she pulled threw and I jut left her to recover for a few weeks I could see she was stood in the field bored.. So my friend came to ride her.. She tacked up fine and walked happily round the field I nipped out of her sight to get something.. She tried to follow me and her rider said no and made her walk on I was gone 30 seconds my friend was on the floor and my mare came galloping at me! She had started spinning and bucking on the spot then when my friend made her walk on she put in a large rear then my friend fell off.. I then considered selling her a girl came to view her and rode her on the lunge she didn't put a foot wrong.. I have never actually ridden her due to being pregnant and now I've got her back I've lost so much confidence in the saddle due to not riding for so long.. I think her issue is when she's got no one on the ground with her she panics! How do I over come this? I was thinking of getting her some blinkers and long reining her so she can here me but can't see me.. Think this will be safer than either me getting on or letting someone else do it and me hiding so she can't see me? Any other thoughts are much appreciated thanks

2. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

OMG - where to start!!!!!!! Why on earth is she being ridden when having so many issues with being malnourished, insecure etc - did you intentionally breed from her??:eek: :eek: Having a baby takes a huge amount out of any animal and then asking the poor thing to carry a rider as well after not having been ridden for 5+ months because you thought she looked bored - are you serious!!!!!!:mad:
    AND after only a few weeks of an attack of hypocalcaemia which if you don't underdstand what that means - in very simple terms calcium is needed to make muscles work and when lactating, milk is mainly calcium, if they are not fed properly will run out and can have a FATAL heart attack as a result not to mention painful muscle cramps, kidney issues etc - the heart is a muscle incase you don't realise and it takes along time to recover from a severe lack of calcium while still feeding a foal!!!????!!!:eek: :mad:

Please turn her away for a year to let her recover from all that you and other idiots have put her through and then try and find a more suitable home where somone knows at least some basic horsecare. I'm assuming she didn't get fed properly hence the hypocalcaemia so her body will be under even more stress and you want to just get her ridden to flog her on yet again and are letting unsuspecting members of the public ride her on the lunge knowing she has issues which you can't be arsed to sort out - you do realsie you could get sued if she bucks someone off and they get injured and you knew she had problems!!!!

And blinkers are the last thing she needs, she's increadibly insecure after being sold on so many times which is what you need to work on - walking in hand is a good way for starters!!!:rolleyes: It's also likely her saddle doesn't fit properly due to all the muscle loss after all the changes in shape and muscle tone she will have been through in the last 2yrs.
    Do you know how old she is even - most horses bought at auction are either waaay older or waay younger than advertised and I've heard of folk buying and riding 2yr olds thinking they were 4 - and judging by the fact you know nothing about horses this is perfectly possible so she could be in need of finishing her growing first!!!
    Have you also bothered to get her tack/back and teeth checked especially after carrying a foal? - bucking/rearing etc when being ridden can be a result of pain as well as lack of training so all physical issues should be ruled out first BEFORE you try and flog her on or even back her again - and yes surprise surprise it will cost time and money - they are an expensive hobby!

Then after her year off she should basically start from scratch - walking out in hand for a few weeks etc etc, and then with correctly fitting tack which is checked regularly, long lines are introduced when a horse is happy walking out and knows verbal commands - these are VERY basic things someone who is going to attempt to break in a horse from scratch should know - please find an experienced instructor to teach you NOT your friend who was stupid enough to get on a horse that is not fit!!

Also a youngster who is just learning the basics should not be just sat on by any old person, they need to be experienced with youngsters and understand what they are doing or the horse will be confused and never get what you want it to do.
    And by also bothering to build up a level of fitness and trust with various people BEFORE carrying a rider - she must be a very genuine little pony to have not kicked your or some one elses head in by now with your treatment of her.

And leaving an 8yr old unsupervised riding a sick mare with foal at foot is just NUTS and totally irresponsible and frankly shows little regard for the poor horse - it is NOT a toy and it is NOT an object to keep you or anyone who fancys a ride amused - no wonder the poor animal is clinging to anyone after being pushed from pillar to post so much she must be so insecure!!!!!!!:mad2: :( I'm really really horrified to be honest - poor horse!!!!:eek: Please find a better home for this poor little mare where someone understands the very basics of horse care and management, I hope the foal has better luck with owners than its mother - and just incase it is a colt foal and it is still with its mother and not been gelded you will have another possible foal next year!!!!!:eek:

3. Keeley57

If you actually red my post properly you would see that after her hypocalcemia the foal was immediately ive was told by the vets she would now be fine to start light work again and aless your a vet ill go with there advice thanks! And before you go saying that she's not being looked after I guarantee some horse owners wouldn't of called the vet so I will not be told that she isn't being looked after thank you very much I suggest you read the post again. I would never do anything to hurt my horses I simply wanted advice not to be talked down to by some posh snob

4. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I don't know of ANY but the dodgiest of owners that would have been stupid enough to NOT call a vet for a very sick horse so am not sure what kind of people you know - if you didn't call the vet the horse would have died with hypocalcaemia - simple! Then you would have been left with a large bill of having to provide foal with mare replacer milk not to mention a visit from the RSPCA and angry neighbors for the neglect caused and having a dead mare in your field!!!

I am talking down to you as you have shown a total lack of care and no basic knowldge at all for this poor horse - light work would be fine several weeks after an attack of hypocalcaemia IF the horse had no foal at foot and was not having to meet those extra nutritional demands - no vet would suggest a horse returns to light work when it has been doing no work at all for at least 5 months or more, seeming as you realised it was in foal a couple of months before it actually foaled, that is not RETURNING to work that is STARTING work, or in your case lets just tack it up and sit on it and get it going with no prior work put in or anything at all, while having a foal at foot and being in no fit shape at all to do so and with known issues.
    Riding with a foal at foot is really not something people do unless the mare is an old hand at having a foal is a very chilled out mare and was a ridden horse to start with and is totally fit and healthy and has been brought GRADUALLY back into work when the foal is old enough and has also been handled well - your mare is not fit as you stated she was simply sat on by a child and walked out in hand before foaling, or healthy and was by the sounds of it a rescue which now needs rescuing - you say you would not hurt your horses - well you are by just plonking someone on an unfit horse and wondering why it's rearing and very unhappy - well duh!, which you then also bred from too - did you make a profit?!!!

And for your info I'm not a posh snob as you put it - I am a farmer and artist and certainly not a wealthy one but I always put my animals first, and only have animals welfare at heart, and I also have some degree of common sense in basic animal welfare, which you do not or you would not be doing what you are to a poor insecure mare, or young filly seeming you can't answer basic questions ie. how old is she?, have you had the vet check it's teeth, back, tack etc etc - I am assuming you've not bothered finding out any of those basic things seeming you think it is an amazing feat that you called a vet out for a dying horse and think I'm posh and a snob for pointing out the most basic things you should know BEFORE you own a horse!! - the fact you also state your horseS plural is also a very scary thing - if you have other horses then OMG you should know better!!!:(

As for asking for advice you asked a question that would be like asking 'should I feed my horse or do they just live on air' - find a professional trainer when the horse has had a year off in a nice field with proper nutrition to recover some what from all the crap it's been through then find a proper home for it when all the issues have been sorted - simple!!! I do hope you're a troll!!:(

5. Keeley57

Sorry I forgot to mention I did not breed her she was Infoal when I got her and didn't know as she was only weeks Infoal.. Yes she has been all checked over she has been re started and has been taken back to basics she was only ridden in walk never pushed her hard at all.. I do have common sense thank you your going on like I've stuck someone on her and told them to gallop her round the field which is not the case at all! She's been tacked up lunged slowly then I put a rider on her after a doing this a couple of times.. And just so you know I have no intention of selling her! She's been passed around enough I am not sticking someone on her to make a profit off her.. And again if you red my post properly you would see that her foal is not mine.. She's very well looked after is now on a high calcium diet which is very expensive she gets exactly what she needs.. I will not do anything I thought would be hurting her and my vets have assured me of this.. And also I will not have someone tell me I don't look after my animals.. She's a nice weight and in general good health now she's over the calcium deficiency.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Goodness me, the horse section is even worse than the dog section :eek:

I have to agree with the basics of what Alexart says but that is only based on a rather difficult to read post by the OP so may be totally wrong.

I would certainly suggest you lay off the work for the moment and let the mare chill out till the spring then start to work her if she is old enough. You have not said what age she is.

As for long reining, that would be a very good start in the spring when you can do it daily and start schooling her on long reins. There is no need to use blinkers unless you plan to break her to drive. You are better to use an open bridle and the bit she will be ridden in so that you can educate her mouth. Do NOT let an 8 year old child ride her when you reback her and make sure there is always someone on the ground to help out if there is a problem until she is more confident.

I have a pony who took 6 months to back due to someone making a mistake first time round and 9 months later on I still make sure I am there when he is ridden in case something happens as it would be so easy to knock his confidence - and this pony is hacking out, driving single and pair and show jumping, but because he had a bad start he is needing specal care taken in his education.

7. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

When i got my first horse as a teenager he was very much like this.

I started by walking him out on foot, just letting him graze and trying to teach him that he did not need to walk on top of me the whole time we were out.

I then put my sister on him and lead her out a few times. I kept it nice and short no more than 20 minutes always trying to leave the ride on a good note.

Then i rode while my sister walked, and the next day she went by bike. I would get her to increase the distance slowly till eventually i could have her quite a few feet infront of me.

This took a few weeks. I also got my mum to do some handling as he was fine with me grooming him but no one else.

Everything we did was done slowly. We tried to expose him to something new on each ride as he was quite spooky.

I also changed his bit and had his saddle checked to make sure it was of a good fit.

He was the biggest nightmare horse i have ever owned but if i knew where he was i would buy him back in a instant because of all the horses i have ever had i enjoyed him the most.

Take it slowly with her, and if your on a yard ask people for help, i got so much help from others and people i did not even know offred to help which was cool as because of him i have made some of my best friends.

Try not to let anyone who is nervous ride her, and make sure you find a nice quiet rider as this will help give her confidence.

It sounds like she has had a really rough start. Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice