Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would another kitten improve Sheldons behavious

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by hayleyb, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

ok this post is really to try and prove to my oh that another kitten is a good idea.

heres the picture, Sheldon is 1 year old and is a mummys boy. his behaviour is not extreme he jst runs around our bedroom durin the nite and wakes me up every few hours. durin the nite he wnt play anywhere other that in our room. during the day i play with him when i can and he goes outside to get some exercise, the problem is i dnt think me playin is the same as another kitten and how he cud play with that.

theres another cat in the garden on a nite and Sheldon was tryin to play with it the other day but it jst sat lookin at him. i cant help but think he's not gettin all the stimulation he needs. he has umteen toys but doesnt seem to like playin by himself.

i jst think that on a nite another kitten wud give him a playmate and we cud get a full nites sleep.

jst lookin for opinions whether it agrees with wat i said or thinks it wudnt be as simple or work like that :)

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Definetely, i was in the same position last year with my bengal i adopted, she was 3 but a very young 3 and full of play being a bengal! Only trouble is we werent sure if she'd take to a kitten shes not too keen on most other cats. I bought my tiffanie as a kitten and it was abit rocky to start with but soooooo worth it now, they adore eachother, sleep together, groom eachother and play all the time. :) Definetely a yes from me ;) Oh and mine are shut away in the conservatory and lounge at night or else they'd wake me up!

Nothing like seeing them play ;) some pics just to convince you more...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

First of all, those are such cute kittens!!!

Secondly, I was in the same position and got another kitten and it helped immensely! It was such a joy seeing them play together and they're behaviour improved so much that I got a third!

If you have the room for another, go for it! (although I would say that, I'm looking to get a fourth to complete the family)

Good luck!!

4. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Mazie stopped waking us up after we got Mickey as she had somebody else to play with. We still get the odd early morning call but they both occupy themselves throughout the night!"

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thankyou all for you replies, have read them to oh and he didnt seem convinced but i dnt care. i have a kitten comin in around 5 weeks so we shall see wat happens then

fingers crossed :)

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

they are lovely kittens. and look truly happy with each other

7. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi
    I've always had cats in pairs and never had problems with them keeping me awake at night as they either played together or slept together. I have always been quite strict with not letting them in bedrooms to start with though. I always shut them in the kitchen/playroom in the night. Once they are older and calmed down a bit I then let them have more of a run of the house but by then they tended to sleep through the night anyway. We sadly don't have our cat's anymore but we are getting two kittens at the end of the month and they will be 9 weeks by then and I will definately be shutting them downstairs to start with.
    Sharon
    x

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thanx for your reply. i shud have done this with sheldon but we got him at 5 months and hed came from a home with another 2 cats for company so wen he was sittin at the bedroom door i cudnt lock him out anymore. he tried everythin to get in the bedroom aswell. he got locked in all day wen we 1st got him coz our doors are heavy and he sneaked in while we were out and the door shut behind him. very good boy he didnt even wee :)

we are gettin a kitten in bout 5 weeks and we're hoping this distracts sheldon from our room. fingers crossed coz thats wat i told oh and thats the condition ha ha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice