UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hamster get a stiff back leg from climbing. Lorien is holding his back leg funny. im thinking a sprain. a rat friend said it might be because he is not used to climbing, even though the only thing he has to climb is me. lol. might it be his bedding, as ive used finacard, one same one i use for the rats. is it too big for him? he s still walking about fine, he s coming out his house alot. he is busy munching away atm.

·
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he has a wheel that he went in cus i put him in it when i put him in his new cage. he has 2 tubes, a wooden box hidey thing, a cardboard box to hide in, a shelf with a ladder, a plastic house, a plastic food bowl. i doubt he would catch his feet on that.

·
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a plastic silent spinner.
been to the vet, Lorien has a broken leg. we have no idea if it was already broken when i bought him, or if it was broken when he was climbing about on me and on my head. he dosent seem in any pain but i will be giving him 1 drop of metacam daily to help with any he may have.
he is still running around as if he was fine. he didnt like the vet though, he sat in my hands like a perfect hamster, but wriggled and bit the vet when he held him.

·
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he does have a 7 day policy but i have the metacam at home already. i bulk buy for the rats, saves money.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Surely a broken bone won't just heal itself with a bit of metcalm:confused: one of my chinchillas broke their tail and it needed stitching and putting in a splint with a bandage round it, to help hold the bone whilst it knitted back togther. And I would want the store to know they sold me a hamster with a broken leg, just to see what they deal with it like.

·
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like my vet said, they could operate, but its not worth it, it would be difficult, they couldnt splint it and its such a small leg. when rodents break their legs they heal by themselves. have to keep an eye on it, but there is nothing that can be done about it. metacam is for the pain.

G

·
Surely a broken bone won't just heal itself with a bit of metcalm:confused: one of my chinchillas broke their tail and it needed stitching and putting in a splint with a bandage round it, to help hold the bone whilst it knitted back togther. And I would want the store to know they sold me a hamster with a broken leg, just to see what they deal with it like.
There isn't much else you can do for a hamster, with adequate pain relief most breaks will heal themselves.

I hope he heals quickly Kelly, he is a little sweety, if he had done it at yours i'm certain you would have heard the scream when it broke. So I'm guessing he did it before you bought him and the shop didn't notice the limp :(

·
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There isn't much else you can do for a hamster, with adequate pain relief most breaks will heal themselves.

I hope he heals quickly Kelly, he is a little sweety, if he had done it at yours i'm certain you would have heard the scream when it broke. So I'm guessing he did it before you bought him and the shop didn't notice the limp :(
he was alone in the store when i bought him, he was asleep in his house when i went in, and they picked him straight up so i didnt see him walk. i noticed when he was walking on me earlier and again when i put him back in the house.
he is walking fine over the finacard, he is running around fine in the cage and was doing the same in the vets. he dosent seem bothered by it at all.
im just wondering how to get the metacam into him. i could see if he likes yoghurt. but i dont know what foods they should and shouldnt have.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I would let the store know-they should at the very least pay for his treatment.
Try yogurt-I'm pretty sure that's OK for all small furries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.