Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worth buying a bird table?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Donna3939, May 19, 2017.

1. Donna3939

Donna3939 PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

I have a bird feeding station with feeders containing sunflower hearts, seed mix, nyjer seeds, suet blocks, peanut butter (bird) holders, suet bits, fat balls and peanuts.

I'd also like to buy a table for the likes of blackbirds but was wondering if it'd be worth the purchase? The ground feeding birds tend to eat the scattered food on the floor anyway however there are cats in the area and I'd like to give them a safer option of feeding at a height.

My question to you is : if it were you, would you go to the expense of buying a separate table or do you think you'd have enough in place already?

Thanks.

2. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Personally I'd say that's enough. I've two bird feeding 'stations' and a hanging bird table off of one hook.
    Our blackbirds and sparrows love to feed son the ground, I did consider a ground feeder style dish but I thought it's no better than the food on the ground anyway. They make mess with the food so it goes everywhere.

We get lots of cats on the estate and only a small garden so I've made all the bird feeders in the middle of the garden, any cats trying to sneak up have no way of getting them. Plus the dog goes nuts if a cat comes in so they often feed with Mooky knowing it's safe.

Could you make a simple try style feeder? X

Donna3939 likes this.
  3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We have cats but for the ground feeders i put their food in a mesh ground feeder tray high up on a pergola. Also you could nail one to a fence. Robins use this too.

Donna3939 likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

If you are good at DIY I'd suggest making one.

Donna3939 likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a feeding station with various hanging feeders, a seed tray and a water tray.

A ground tray

A small hanging table with roof

A large bird table (with a roof) that I made myself :)

And a squirrel but feeder, with hinged lid! :p:D

A large bird bath and 3 other water bowls/trays (one on the large bird table)

I like to cover all bases! :D

ForestWomble and Donna3939 like this.
  6. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I suggest a bird table as well, Donna, perhaps a bit away from the hanging feeders, like mine are.
    I have a pole with hanging feeders on it on the grass & a bird table on the patio. I also put food on the patio. We get a lot of Rooks here so our bird table has mesh all round it to stop the Rooks gobbling everything on it, but they also eat everything on the hanging feeders. I know they have young to feed too & when not breeding need to eat themselves, but they are a constant pain.
    I have water pots & a bird bath too.
    [​IMG]

Pesky Corvids.
    [​IMG]

Donna3939 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice