UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is losing them :(

ive lost 7 so far this year and another 2 will be pts in the next few days because of tumors :( its gutting

I honestly not sure i can do it again i defo will not be getting so many and around the same time ever again i my max will be 3-4 rats if i ever have them again that is

B died today hes spent all of his life fighting illness after illness and just had enough today, He was my last furry boy :(

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I know just how u feel hun, I've lost 3 so far this year two to tumours and one to a suspected stroke or PT.
I've 8 left now it was 11, all are similar in ages with only a month or two age gaps. I have said to myself that I won't have such a big group again and I'd like to go back to 4 boys eventually. And all 4 will be from reputable breeders so hopefully won't get the heartache of ongoing respiratory infections or tumours.

Hugs to you xx

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Im so sorry hun, Ive been there so I know how youre feeling (((hugs))). Ive got a lot of similar aged rats after promising myself I wouldnt do that again, but you cant always control when little ones are going to need you can you. RIP little boy, have tons of fun at the bridge xx

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know :( Im pleased that most were free to good homes/rescue and only got two off a breeder and that ive helped them but the heartache isnt much fun

if i get anymore i'll travel for an excellent breeder to hopefully help keep the illness etc at a min

thank you all, im ok being pregnant doesnt help as hormones on top make me feel 10x worse

x

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
It is...especially ass you have rescued so many...worst thing about rescuing too!! Am so sorry hun. It has obviously been a horrible year for you as far as ratties are concerned!

·
Registered
489 Posts
All rat owners can empathise with you :(

I'll be helping my beautiful Phoebe to the bridge tomorrow after a battle with a PT, which it seems has finally gotten the better of her. She'll be the fifth of my babies this year so far for me :(

My thoughts are with you.xxx

·
Registered
496 Posts
It is difficult and will be 10X worse when you're pregnant.It's easier said than done, but try to remember the good times and if that doesn't work just rub your bump and that may cheer you up( always did with me).
BIG HUGS.
Laura XXX

·
Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie
1,800 Posts
Totally sympathize with you. I've decided to have a break from rats after having my last girl pts in August. Adore them but it's just so hard when they live such short lives:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awww I'm so sorry. They become part of the family but they have such short lives. But you obviously gave them extremely happy lives, they were lucky to have been with you :) It's hard for you, when you loved them so much, but it was great for them! ;)
H xxx

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I think it's so hard as they are like little dogs people misunderstand them but honestly they are amazing pets

Thanks guys it's horrible we all go through this with our little furry friends x

·
Super Moderator
29,610 Posts
((((hugs)))) to you, I've reached a stage now where I need a break from the heartache, we have 12 now after losing Prof last week:( & I'm not sure we will have any more for a little while, once these have gone to the Bridge

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
That is just how I see my ratties as lilttle dogs. They all know there names and come when there called! Only just a few mins ago did I go up and call cleroy out from the bunker amongst all the others so that he could take his meds and out he came. Bless him.

I did think about not having any at all but I did this a couple of years ago and only lasted a year and I couldn't bare not having them in my life.
So I'll only have 4 nxt time round.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's heartbreaking :(

I have only owned rats for the past 6 years, I am down to my last 2 old ladies and Im trying to fight the temptation of getting anymore for this very reason - you get so attached but they have such short little lives. It's too much heartache, worry and too many tears to go through but they are such awesome little animals.

hugs to you though :) xx

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh is taking the girls tomorrow while im at work so i dont end up a blubbering mess, as they are still eating and trying to get around i feel so guilty ending their lifes but they are old girls and i know they wouldnt make it through the operations to remove such lumps :( i know its for the best for them.

im going to give them some special food and hugs tomorrow morning, Im pleased they are going together as they came together to me.

Im not having anymore after these go, i'm having another baby and i know i wont be able to give them the time they need so these last ones are mine.x

·
Registered
965 Posts
I totally feel for you. We are down to the last two of our mischief of 12. Part of me wishes they were all the same age as I have had 2 years of deaths and it is draining. Looking at Romulus and Remus I know that, if I'm lucky, I'll get another 6 months to a year from them.

We have decided it's just too painful and therefore Rom and Remy will be our last.

·
Super Moderator
29,610 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.