Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worry about Occurrence of Paraticis in Pet Giant African Snails

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by garygrrr, Nov 7, 2019.

1. garygrrr

garygrrr PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, i want to pet a few giant african snails but, i worry about that they have some parasites as Rhabditid Nematodes. For this reason i searched about it and have found an article.
    The article said that all giant african snails contained Rhabditid Nematodes in their feces. Has it been previously reported that a pet snail infects its owner?

#1 garygrrr, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

My sister has GALS and we've never had a problem handling them.
    As long as you wash your hands well afterwards I'm sure you'll be fine.

garygrrr likes this.
  3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Are you referring to wild caught snails or captive bred ones? Wild caught carry a higher risk of diseases and parasites and ideally should be handled with rubber gloves on.

All pets carry a risk, the key is to practice good hygiene. I currently have 44 GALS and have never had an issue.

garygrrr and Beth78 like this.
  4. garygrrr

garygrrr PetForums Newbie

I'm talking about captive bred ones. In an article I read, it was mentioned that captive bred african snails could also carry some nematodes that could be harmful to humans (The experiment was conducted in Italy). Some sites insist that these snails will cause meningitis. However, most people say they have not suffered any damage from the snail. There's a big contradiction. I wonder if the ancestors of captive bred snails used to carry these parasites, is it possible that these parasites will be passed on from generation to generation? Or if I bought snails while they were still eggs and allow them to grow in a sterile environment, does the risk of developing a parasite disappear?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice