Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Iluvmypets, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

You know it sounds like our Yorkie puppy came from a puppy farm? (previous posts) I am worried because she went for me a couple of times today, she didn't like me getting the sleep off her fur and she really went for me. Is this normal behaviour in a puppy? And what should I do if it happens again. She's really headstrong and very difficult to control but we are doing our best and won't give up on her.

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I can't remember how old she is sorry, but - If the sleep had dried to her fur at all you could have pulled a few hairs out.

I would speak to an APDT registered behaviourist who will help you come up with a training plan to stop it.

3. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

13 and half weeks now. I've gently pulled it off every day and today wasn't particularly hard or anything, she just seems to be getting fiesty with every day :(

4. WelshYorkieLover

WelshYorkieLover PetForums VIP

I've had yorkies since 1989 and unfortunately 3 out of the 5 we've had have all been biters! She's so young and so she's easily trained. I would get her in some sort of training class straight away to (pardon the pun) nip it in the bud!

In the meantime whenever she bites, squeal very high pitched at her, put her on the floor and turn your back on her.

Hope this helps!

Dober likes this.
  5. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Oh i dont miss That stage! My girls all tried to push the boundries from about that age for a month or two, and grooming is always a nightmare struggle! They are such delicate little things that they will be snappy when hurt- a nip is their first reaction until they are conditioned to do otherwise. I do the same as welshyorkielover to teach them not to nip (an ideally the breeder should have started this for you :( )
    They are soo headstrong they do need constant training and reinforcement so classes are a must (as WYL says); remember she is a terrier- an alert, intelligent, spirited little dog with stacks of confidence- and needs to be treated like a terrier, so if the trainer tells you of for babying her at class, don't get annoyed and leave- it will pay off in the long run :) . My trainer always jokes that popp is one of the longest attending yorkies (or toy breeds for that matter) he has had- the owners usually storm off in a huff when told to leave the dog on the floor! Although still have her on a harness instead of collar in class unless absolutely necessary- they can have very weak and fragile throats, and many trainer don't take that into concideration.
    When cleaning her eyes, always wet it with a clean water cotton wool ball, and if done daily (twice even, to get her used to it) then you'll never need to put tear stain remover near her wee eyes either. Get her used to grooming young and she should grow out of being snippy when she sees the combs coming out- rewards can even have her looking forward to seeing the grooming stuff!

And why didn't you include some baby pics in your post!? ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice