Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried. What is this?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Damian weaver, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Damian weaver

Damian weaver PetForums Newbie

This could be just an evil looking cat but worried it’s something else as there’s a big cat rescue near me. It was eyeing up my british blues through the window. About the size of an adult domestic cat. Anyone any idea what it is? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

It looks like a wildcat! You very lucky to have one in your garden. You may want to ring the big cat rescue to see if they are missing one!

Soozi, lorilu and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

It does look extra big for a normal cat! I would be inclined to say Bengal. Hopefully your British blues won't be allowed to meet him, as it does look a very dominant type of cat, whatever breed it is. It may of course be an unneutured tom sniffing around for females to pursue, but I would make sure it can't reach your cats as they would probably find him rather scary!
    Edit: Looks more like an African Wildcat! I would definitely contact the rescue centre asap.

#3 Treaclesmum, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness! Please don’t be offended but I thought this was some sort of joke at first.sorry!
    Call the rescue ASAP right away. That’s not a Bengal.

#4 Soozi, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  5. Damian weaver

Thanks all. Rescue place not open and no answer from RSPCA. aargghh! After doing some research it looks like a Geoffreys cat. I lnow they have one at the big cat place. Well, used to have one! I don’t think they’re too dangerous and my blues are only 4 months and not outside yet.
    May have to wait till tomorrow or Monday to report it. Thanks for replies all.

chillminx, Soozi and Treaclesmum like this.
  6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I'm so glad to hear your cats don't go outside, especially at such a young age. I hope they weren't too scared to see him at the window! It must've been quite a shock for the poor little things!

Please let us know how you get on once you've spoken to the rescue centre. Take care and stay safe!

Soozi likes this.
  7. Damian weaver

Will do. Thanks.

The blues were too busy playing with their toys to notice and i scared it off before they got scared. They are sat next to me cleaning and sleeping so not overly traumatised! Ill post again when I’ve spoken to the wil cat rescue. Thanks

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Think you are right looks like a Geoffreys cat. just googled it. it is the size of a domestic cat and has a striped shorter tail. I hope they find it as its a very rare feline. let us know how you get on!

9. Damian weaver

And it has a missing ear which is a sort of rescue place kind of thing. Not sure how i feel about wild cats running around in my garden...!

Soozi likes this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Try the rescue near you tomorrow morning I would have thought someone will be there who will pick up the call. Good luck! So pleased your blues are indoors!

Treaclesmum and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  11. Damian weaver

Update. Spoke to the wild cat sanctuary. Not one of theirs. All present and correct.

They said they have had lots of reports of this cat in the village. They have seen pictures and say it is a cross between a wild cat and domestic cat. Not dangerous.

Thankfully their leopards and pumas are all present too!

ribbon, chillminx, lymorelynn and 3 others like this.
  12. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh thanks for the update! Well at least it doesn’t pose a danger. Just strange that it has its ear clipped. ;)

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  13. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Damian, are you in the UK? If so, the RSPCA are available 24/7 & you should contact them. It looks nothing like a British wildcat, which is restricted to Scotland. Many do have domestic genes, but they are striped like a tabby not spotted. Also, although I hesitate to say this, it doesn't look in the least aggressive to me, just as if it wants to come in ... Have you checked the Lost & Found pet websites? Someone might be searching for this beauty.

14. Damian weaver

I tried to call RSPCA last night. Was on hold for half an hour. Will try lost websites. Thanks.

TriTri and Soozi like this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I think Damien is in UK as he phoned the RSPCA the more I look at the pic I think the ear has been damaged in a fight. rescues only clip the tip. Very strange looking cat I’m quite fascinated by it.

16. Damian weaver

It is strange looking Soozi. It kind of looks like a domestic cat but it didn’t move like a normal moggie.

It wasn’t huge and I’m sure it isn’t a real danger but the way it was looking at my kittens was not in a ‘wanna play?’ Kind of way...

Soozi likes this.
  17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I was about to post the same thing , I had a semi feral cat years back who had his ear amputated due to skin cancer .Sometimes the whole ear is removed but sometimes depending on the damage only part is removed.

Soozi likes this.
  18. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Lol! It has short legs and tail. To me the face looks a bit cheetah like. Would really love to know where it’s come from. Lol!!

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Something else that did kind of worry me about it is the fact that it looks like it "could" be pregnant...................I guess this is how rumours start :oops:

Soozi likes this.
  20. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Did it escape the wild cat sanctuary but they don’t want to admit that. The cat is fascinating looking.

Treaclesmum and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice