Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried owner here

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by jdm_s2k, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

My Guinea pig momo is a 4 year old male.....single all his life...

its right now 2pm...and my father tried to feed him this morning at 5am...and he wouldnt eat...we have a set time and date when to feed him...he always wake up at that hour eating....however....today he refused to eat at that specific time...we we figured ...okay he might just be full...okay....so come around 12pm today...noon'ish time.....we tried to feed him....gave him his favorites and he refused....then we only see him sitting on top of his cage....he has 2 levels...just sitting there...breathing really hard...

upper respiratory infection maybe? or teeth?

i have no idea really....i have a vet appointment in a few hours but i would like some opinion / feedback in the mean time

2. mollyismyworld

If u are unreasonably worried, call the vet and take him to out of hours vet now. xx

Hope he is ok.

3. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

my vet appointment is in about 1 hour and 30mins but im still worried

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Hope all went well at the vets.

5. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

my vet said it was a upper respiratory infection...with ammonia

wow i guess it was a the fecal matter causing it...

she made a good example...how would u like sleeping 2-3 inches away from poo....and yah...i need to clean the cage more often

im going to buy him a new cage in a week....

hes 4 and 1/2 human years old... i honestly dont want to lose him because of a infection...rather see him say goodbye with age....like

ill post some pics up soon...if anyone like to see...

vet visit was pretty pricey....60bucks...

vet gave him a shot to open up his airway....and about an hour or so later he started to eat a little but was still tired...and didnt want to do anything but sit down....

vet suggested we shine a light on him 24 /7

what is it for?

she told me why but i still dont get it...something about keepin him warm?

anyone here experience with this?

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well I'm glad you've realised your guinea needs to be cleaned out so often :) hope he gets better soon x

7. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

i always cleaned it once a week but i guess it needs to be more often

can anyone here recommend good cages that keeps poo poo away from them?

8. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I would do it more often. could you not do it daily. You can buy a cat scoop and then pick the wet sawdust and poo out as soon as you see it.

9. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

i know this question has been asked MANY MANY times but why do they drink so little water?

can any of u guys give me a good water bottle suggestion?

perhaps a picture?

10. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Mine seem to drink a fair bit to be honest - try putting one normal water bottle and one water bottle tinted with a little bit of ribena or apple juice in it, mine love it - just enough to discolour it.

*Heidi*

11. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

okay well...since hes still not eating....the vet asked me to hand feed him applesauce....and to mix the antibiotics with the apple sauce and just feed it to him

..after a couple of feeds..i noticed that....he...would eat it...after i put it inside of his mouth....but what position should i be feeding him at ? to make him most comfortable while eating?

12. hazyreality

i would say preferably on his feet if you can, although it is difficult. glad to hear that he is interested in eating the apple sauce. when my rabbit stopped eating, i got him eating again with bran mash(bran flakes made mushy with hot water) i still give him it now and he loves it, i mix a bit of apple sauce in with it every so often.

*Heidi*

13. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

had my father helping me out with the feeding actually...and he didnt complain one bit....but always moved around when i was trying to feed him...

does yours have a strong personality? like if he doesnt like something he just walk away or doesnt like you would show his emotions to u?

14. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

new update:

i dont know if its because i gave him a new box with more shelter and less wind....he refuses to pee or pop in the new box and only if i carry him back into the old cage he would pee....and when i was feeding him ...i noticed that there was a lot of old feces stuck in his bottom....is he holding the poo poo? or is he constipated?

15. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

he died today....

16. hazyreality

aww, sorry to hear the sad news

*Heidi*

17. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

he left me really suddenly

i went downstairs to microwave come steak...i was hungry

i looked at his box...and saw him laying there....all stiff and on his side...i know he never pays on the ground like that...so i touched him...no heart rate...no breathing....he stuck his head out of the box....i can almost feel that he was trying to reach out for help but no one was there...i was upstairs playin a game and dad was sleeping....

my heart hurts soooo soooo much

he died 2 days after coming home from the vet....he got a shot....from the vet that was suppose to have opened up his airway....

its just SOOO strange for him to die like that....

how can the vet not know he is already this sick?

vet told me he was perfectly healthy!

can someone here tell me there is something else i can do to find out?

18. hazyreality

it could have been complications from the original problem, you said he was still not eating so well and he was reluctant to go to the toilet, and he wasnt drinking much from what you said before? I wonder if he just was feeling generally poorly still from the chest infection but because of that he wasnt effectively looking after himself, like a human doesnt when they feel unwell, but it has a much greater effect on a guinea. I dunno if they have a similar digestive system to rabbits but if they stop eating their gut stops working. Was he eating his hay etc for his fibre?

*Heidi*

19. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

sorry to here your news , you tried your best

my hammy died the night we brought him home fromo the vets :(

20. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k PetForums Newbie

we actually did feed him a good amount of hay for fiber source...so he can poop a lot...then i remembered the day i woke up and wanted to hand feed him some apple sauce...i saw a lot of poop stuck....in his bottom...im sorry if this sounds gross to anyone but that was very very strange...he didnt have the strength to even "squeal" at me...normally he does....he couldnt complain of pain or anything...he just simply ran out of breath....he is a tough little guy and always fought with me whenever we did something....

honestly, deep down inside of me i know something was terribly wrong when he stopped fighting back....say when i hug / hold him.....or pet him.....

i guess him leaving me was another way for him to be more comfortable wherever he is now.....

thanks heidi for ur time in my posts....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice