Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried cat owner

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Simba9952, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

My cat Simba has developed two Bald patches. One is on her right back leg and the other is on her front right leg. These seem to have appeared over-night ???

She is an indoor British Blue. My partner and I have noticed that she has been cleaning herself more often than usual. The bald places are slightly red-ish, (but not an angry red) and possibly have bite marks, but I'm not sure.
    The only thing that's changed in her home is a pot of grass that the vet suggested we put in to help with her hairballs.
    We are taking her to the vets this weekend, but can anyone suggest what might be wrong :confused:

Any help is very much appreciated.

#1 Simba9952, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

Sounds like a skin irritation - if the skin is reddish, it's been irritated by something. Could be she's rubbing the area raw by over-cleaning. Important to rule everything out - is the grass the only thing that's changed? You've not added any pot-pourri, air fresheners, changed fabric conditioners etc?

Vet is definitely your best bet.

3. MissBethM

MissBethM PetForums Senior

Could be totally irrelevant in this particular case but we used to have black DSH called Jack who developed bald patches very quickly. We monitored his behavior and realised he was pulling his own fur out. The vet advised this is sometimes exhibited during times of stress.

As advised above, could also be due to a skin condition. Hopefully it's nothing serious (I'm sure it isn't) and will be sorted quickly by some topical or oral medication x

4. Simba9952

Thanks for the replies. The grass is the only thing we've changed and she's not bothered with the patches. I have noticed she is cleaning those legs more than the rest of her body.

I don't think its stress, but I'm recently back to work and she is used to a lot of attention - so maybe.
    She is booked in for Monday afternoon, so I'll let you know.

Thanks again :)

5. Simba9952

Ok, been to vets and found out she has bite marks in the bald locations. Can't think how it happened, but she's fine. Vet gave her an itch deterrent injection and her fur is already growing back :thumbup:

Had an Idea it was bites, but the night before she produced the longest and widest furball I have ever seen :scared: Everthing ok though. Thanks for your replies and interest :D

6. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Glad everything is ok :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice