Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about Stanley since he returned from his holiday!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by claiireee, Dec 31, 2011.

1. claiireee

claiireee PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We got a male dwarf lop house rabbit in November, and since then he's been fine. He stays in his pen while we're out, but when we're in he can jump in and out, but we gave to put him back at night.

We took him to my friends over Christmas as we went away and they have a secure/rabbit proof room so be has been allowed to run around for 5 days and hasn't had his pen shut at all in this time. They sent regular updates and he seemed really happy. Since we've brought him back we've obviously had to shut his pen to keep him safe, and I feel so bad. When he's in he looks really annoyed with us, and when he's out he hides under the table. Is there anything we can do? It's not feasible for him to be out all the time as he'll hurt himself.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm hoping he's just a big shy, and once he gets used to us again he'll snap out of it.

Thanks,

Claire x

2. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I think he will get used to the routine he had. He's just been spoilt, bless him.

3. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Hi Claire. How big is this pen?
    It does need to be rather large if he is to be enclosed for more than a couple of hours at a time. He may be feeling depressed after having his freedom

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Why do you think he will hurt himself? So long as you rabbit proof he will be fine.

By the sounds of things you haven't had him long so give him chance to get used to you and your home, he will come round.
    How big is his pen?
    Are you planning on getting him a friend?

5. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

Exactly what I was going say! Great minds think alike eh? :thumbup1:

I'm sure he will settle into a routine in the next few days to a week.
    Bunnies really do thrive in their own company, so if you have the space and money i'm sure he would appreciatehaving a little companion to keep him company when you cannot be there with him.

There is no greater pleasure in life than seeing two totally in love bunnies smuched up together <3

6. claiireee

claiireee PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies, Stanley seems to like us again, although he still hides under the dining room table, but this tends to be when he's ready for a lie down after all his exploring! He went upstairs yesterday, which was a first, but he's not confident about hopping back down yet.

When we got him, we were advised by three places that he'd be happy on his own. As he's a house rabbit, we do interact with him a lot. We had a bad experience trying to bond two guinea pigs, so I'd be reluctant to do it now.

To be honest, we may need to move him to another room do he canbe out all day. The dining room has a couple of wires, but it's mainly his unpredictable chewing. We're in a rented house, and he's already nibbled some wall paper and there are some dining table legs I'm sure he'd love!

I think you're right, he just needed time to settle in, and he was probably a bit scared after the journey home. I just hope he continues to enjoy his time with us as much as we love him!

Thanks again for all your reassuring replies :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice