Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about spaying

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bettymcghee, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bettymcghee

bettymcghee PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 2yo large breed mongrel girl who I know I really need to spay. I have no intention of letting her have pups but wanted to wait until she was fully developed before getting it done. So, now is the time, as she is between seasons.
    The thing is that she is in that phase that happens about three months after each season where she is a bit broody and anxious. So I'm worried that it could be a bad time to spay her. She is not eating her breakfast (but eats it later in the day) and is showing a bit of separation anxiety if I go out (there are another 4 dogs in the house plus other people, so she is never really alone).
    The thing is, me and her will be moving into a flat soon, so I am going to have to gradually get her used to spending a bit of time alone. We lived in a flat before and she coped ok, but has always been a fairly anxious dog (at one point she started obsessively chewing her foot).

Do you think that the spaying is likely to help the anxiety? Or is it more likely that the trauma of being left at the vets and the operation will make it worse? Plus is this a bad time to be doing it? I just want to do the best thing for her.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Why do you want to have her spayed? If she's in danger of unwanted attentions by male dogs then I would think that's a reason, but if you just think it needs to be done then there are as many cons as pros for the op. unless being entire is causing you or her problems, if you have any doubts, then my advice is don't for now.

3. bettymcghee

Well, to explain a bit more. I've just moved abroad, and right now I'm staying with my family until I find a place here. So we're in the countryside with a huge, well fenced-in garden and plenty of deserted forestry to walk in, so her being in heat is not a problem. Though I need to move to the city for work, and so walking her in public parks whilst on heat is going to be much more difficult/impossible. Plus I've been told that spaying her would make her less anxious (I don't know if that's true). So I was thinking that it would possibly make it easier for her to get used to spending a few hours alone once in a while. But now that I'm on the brink of making the appt, the thought of leaving her at the vets is quite horrible... I'm worried that she'll never want me to leave her alone again and that it's going to make her anxiety worse. I know that I have a lot of work to do on her anxiety (luckily I'm able to mostly work from home, so I have time to ease her in), I just don't want to make matters worse and traumatise her!

4. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

you say shes at that time when she becomes anxious and clingy? do you mean she is always an anxious dog or just after seasons? it could be she is having phantom pregnancys, which are very destressing.
    I would do lots of reading up on spaying and decide if it is for you, it's not as bad as you think it will be normally dogs go in for the op in the morning and are out the very same day/evening. discuss it with your vet, they will put your mind at ease

5. bettymcghee

Well both really. She is always quite clingy, but she gets way worse at this part of her cycle, especially this time, I think it could be getting worse with each cycle. She isn't showing any signs of a phantom pregnancy though. This year I have debated long and hard about whether to do it or not and read so much on it already. For me, yes, looking at it from a purely practical pov, certainly it would be easier to have her spayed, but I need to think of her too, and her individual personality. I guess I just need to know how spaying is likely to effect her anxiety. Does anyone have any experiences similar to this? Or know anyone who's dogs have become more/less anxious or traumatised after spaying?

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its a hard call, but if she is naturally an anxious dog by nature, plus showing the signs of separation anxiety now or you believe her to be. Plus she has had one recent upheaval when you moved in with your family and will soon have another when you move to your flat and will have to be alone for longer periods,
    then she will likely be really unsettled at the moment and with more to come shortly and having to re adjust yet again, with the spay on top of this it could possibly make her even worse.

She could get through the spay and it might not make a difference, unfortunately you wont know if it will until she has it done, then if the stress does exacerbate her anxiety and makes current behaviour worse or she gets other stress/behavioural problems because of it, then it will be too late.

Obviously you know your dog better then anyone else I would say go by your instincts. However taking into account her anxiety problems, the recent upheaval and having to re-adjust once already and another shortly on the way
    that couldnt/cant be avoided. It maybe better to work on her current anxiety problems and get her re-adjusted and settled first in your new home. Then once settled and adjusted, then get her spayed perhaps.

7. bettymcghee

Hmm, sled dog, you know I think you could be right. The fact that I've been sitting here waiting for replies since i posted that initial message goes to show that it's stressing me out a lot, and so probably I know subconsciously that it's the wrong time to do it... Plus you brought up the good point that it was stressful for her moving over here, that's when she developed the lick-granuloma thing (which thankfully went away), so the last thing I want is to have to limit her excercise due to her recovery period during a time when she may be at risk of being highly stressed. That would just be a recipe for another granuloma... I'll just have to cope with her next season as best I can in the flat, perhaps my parents would let me bring here for a holiday. Then I can re-assess the situation next year when she's used to our new lifestyle. Thanks everyone for being so objective and not just telling me to get her spayed asap!! (as I have been in the past)

8. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

If you are worried about spaying recovery time something to consider is the laparoscopic spay. Effectively keyhole surgery. Not all vets offer it though and does cost a lot more. Just something to look into as an option if you need to.

9. daisymay789

daisymay789 PetForums Junior

My dog had a phantom pregnancy and displayed similar symptoms to yours, she got quite grouchy with us too, she would roll over to have her tummy tickled and then screech when we went near her.... I couldn't see anything much different about her, it was only a lady in the bank one day asked me if she'd had pups and when I said no, she said I ought to take her to the vet as she looked like she was having a phantom and they can get mastitis as the milk has nowhere to go, and she was right, but I wouldn't have known myself.

Anyway to answer your question, my dog has now been spayed and is no different in temperament or behaviour to what she was before. So I wouldn't do it for that reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice