Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jaeslight, Jun 24, 2018.

1. jaeslight

jaeslight PetForums Newbie

Hello !! A few days ago on the 20th my shih tzu had one puppy. Since then, I noticed that she is still panting. Sometimes she won't pant unless she nurses her pup. She gets up now and then but when she does she's somewhat wobbly. Due to her not getting up as much, my family and i try feed her and give her water while she's laying down. Earlier,she had moved her pup to under a cabinet. I'm worried something might be wrong.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you should contact a Vet about this. I don't like the fact that she's 'wobbly'.
    I think you should find somewhere quiet for her to be with her puppy that she feels safe and that you can supervise both of them; bitches often will try to move their puppies if they're not happy with where they are, but in a domestic environment they don't always make the best choices.

Lurcherlad and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  3. jaeslight

jaeslight PetForums Newbie

Yes I'm not sure if she was wobby because it was I believe the first time she got up after giving birth. Right now she's in our living room so I plan on moving her. I'm also debating on whether or not to wash the bed they're both been in because it's quite dirty. I've been ayings we should take her to the vet however my family is just saying she's "normal." Hopefully I'll be able to take her once I return home. Thank you so much for replying,I appreciate it.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Moving her puppy would suggest that she is not happy being in a public room as the above poster has said so you must find her somewhere quiet and safe away from too many prying eyes so she can be left to feed and clean her pup in peace. This is important as a stressed mother can not feed her pups.

Giving birth is exhausting and your dog will naturally be tired for a few days afterwards. It is also natural that they don't want to leave their pup (so you can feed her nearby the whelping box and always leave water there). However I would expect her to stand up and move around so if this isn't happening or she is 'wobbly' then I would definitely have a word with your vet.

Is she eating well? Have you go her on a calcium rich diet? And do make sure she is drinking plenty.

I give my mum and pups clean bedding quite regularly.

J

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

The panting can be normal as her womb is contracting, but I would be very concerned re wobbling. Have you heard of eclampsia? The Vet can do a simple blood test to check calcium levels, because if it is that, she need to be on an IV drip. Did her placenta come away?

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I have always had the Vet in to check both bitch and litter within the 24 hours after birth, just to check health and also for things like retained puppy. One of my bitches had a 9th (live) puppy a day after the others after an Oxytocin jab from the Vet.
    I didn't wash the bedding for a couple of days but did put clean on top. My logic was that it would still smell 'right' to the mum and pups, but I don't know if that's a good reason; just seemed right to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice