Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about neighbours - cat safety

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gnosidious, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Gnosidious

Gnosidious PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I live in London, we have a lovely 4-year-old, very affectionate and trusting cat called Bob Hoskins.

Bob Hoskins is an outdoor cat, not with a flap, but we let him out and in through the door. He doesn't like a litter tray so will hold things in if he can't go out.

I've always been nervous about him not having a collar, I know not everyone agrees with it but he genuinely seems to like a collar. I worry someone will (choose to) assume he is stray if he doesn't have one on. Also we've previously taken a microchipped cat to a vets and the vets have been unable to identify their owners from the chip, so his microchip doesn't give me 100% assurance either.

Recently he has been losing a lot of collars. I thought this might be a sign he had grown out of wearing them so I didn't replace them, despite my fear of someone stealing him, however, yesterday I found a pile of his collars left in the street. One of them had been clearly, undoubtedly cut off so. I have to assume a neighbor is doing it.

Today he went out for his morning salutations and he's come back with a slight limp. Perhaps it's unrelated but the fact someone has cut off a collar makes me worry.

We're not going to live here much longer, we are moving but the seller is in a chain so we don't know when.

It's the peak of summer so I don't want to keep him confined but also I'm worried some harm may come to him. I'm going to speak to the neighbours we trust to see if they've noticed anything but I wondered if anyone had
    any other suggestions?

I'm considering a GPS tracker or a camera, does anyone have any experience with either.

Many thanks

G

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You will find the tracker and/or camera get lost. As you are moving you don't want to spend money cat-proofing the garden, but how about a catio that you can take with you? I hope you can cat-proof your new garde.

Isolette likes this.
  3. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

Oooh I’d be concerned too. I’d be disturbed to find a pile of my cat’s collars lying in the street! Could it be a neighbourhood kid?
    I wouldn’t let him out unsupervised if it was me - especially if he’s trusting. could you get a catio or harness train him?

Isolette likes this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I know some people in my area will take collars off cats they see as they can be dangerous.
    Maybe, hopefully, that’s all this person is doing.

5. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Member

A simple solution would be to purchase an XXL dog crate that you can put outside, over the top with something that stops him getting wet if it rains, a small litter tray filled with garden soil, water, food and as it is very large a small cat tree/scratch post and hidy hole bed, at least dog crates fold flat so easy to pack/move and can also be used when you move to your new place along with updating your micro chip info...as people forget to do that and it is why owners can't be contacted

#5 TTouch, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Would you really keep a cat outside in a crate? Specially now it's so hot, surely much kinder to keep it indoors if a catio isn't an option.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  7. Gnosidious

I did think this, but my thought was it might lead me to whoever is taking the collars so I can get some answers to what's happening.

The new place is already pretty cat-proofed, the back is high fences, sealed in. If needed we could add something to the top to stop in getting out or others from getting in. I'd rather avoid the catio as it wouldn't get any use at the next place. So I think I might go and work in the garden each time I let him out for now, even if it turns me lobster coloured!

8. Gnosidious

This is my honest hope. It's the fact he's picked up a small limp today (I really hope it is unrelated) when he wasn't wearing a collar that has exacerbated my concerns.

I will say in my collar defence, I only every use quick releases, and he will walkover and present his kneck to me if I'm holding a new one and he's not wearing one, so I don't think he finds it uncomfortable (and must assume he wants to look his formal best!)

I'm going to speak to the neighbours I trust also to see if they saw anything. A friend of mine noticed a couple trying to approach him the other day - but he's so friendly that's not unusual.

9. Gnosidious

Yeah, I think I'll work outside while he's out for a bit. While he likes a wander, if we are out with him he seems he'd rather hang out with us rather than explore.

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would not let your cat out again where you live now. I would see the limp, and the pile of cut collars, as a warning. He's probably pissing up someone else's property and they are tired of it. Keep your cat inside until after you move.

pennycat, Isolette and buffie like this.
  11. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think I agree with not letting him out, the last thing you want from now until you move is for him to go missing or worse. With this hot weather too, its better if he isn't outside for long periods anyway. Are you talking weeks or months?

Isolette likes this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't think that is a great idea infact its dangerous to shut a cat in a dog crate outside ,what do think that would achieve ?:rolleyes:

OrientalSlave and Treaclesmum like this.
  13. Gnosidious

Months, probably, unfortunately. Hopefully not more than two, but the seller is a bit behind at the moment.

I'll try and keep him inside, but he does get very antsy and our current place is often hotter inside (especially if the widows arent open to prevent him from getting out) than the shade he likes to linger in outside. I may need to do the supervised outdoor trips instead.

14. Isolette

Isolette PetForums Member

I would not let a cat out where you are. better he gets antsy than worse. This weather is due to cool soon too.

15. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

What about a harness?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  16. Gnosidious

I could give that a go, I've never had a cat that would take to a harness before, but if any cat would take to it, it's Bob Hoskins. I've never tried it with him, as I've never needed to... before. I'll see how he finds it.

pennycat and Treaclesmum like this.
  17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The trick for success is the slow introduction. When you get the harness, you leave it lyng arund on the floor for a few days, until it becomes a familiar object. then, you place it near the cat when he's resting.. Just casually pick it up and lay it next to him, and afetr a few more days, start draping it over him.

Eventually of course comes the time of putting it on. Practice on a stuffed animal first so your fingers know what to do, quickly.

Depending on how he reacts, you either take it off immediately, or leave it on while he gets used to it. You might give a special (used only for this) treat, in association with wearing the harness. The cat needs a reason to want to wear it, and until he learns that it gets him outside, a treat will have to do.

Once he'll wear the harness for a while (an hour?) without fighting it, you can start showing him what it's really for. Hold on tight to his leash and go out with him. Don't put it on him at any other time than for going out, at this point in the training. Just be sure the leash is secure in your hand. You don't want him running off dragging a leash behind him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice