Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about my rabbit after major dental surgery.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BunnyBoo, Dec 10, 2020.

1. BunnyBoo

BunnyBoo PetForums Newbie

My rabbit had major surgery on his mouth last Wednesday and had 5 of his lower teeth removed. He has been suffering with his teeth since a baby and this was a last resort. It has been a week now and he still isn't eating. I am syringe feeding him often and he seems interested in eating, but when he tries to eat anything he keeps dropping it out of his mouth. I have liquefied his food, softened it with water and chopped his greens smaller, but still no luck. He is still on pain killers as well as other meds, but I thought he would have started to eat by now.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe a check up with the vet?

3. BunnyBoo

He had a checkup on Monday and it seems his gums are healing well. The vet said it was a major surgery so it may take a little longer for him to eat. He has another checkup on Wednesday. He did manage to eat dill yesterday which was goos. He seems to be struggling to pick food up and keep it in his mouth when chewing. I'll see how he gets on and go back the vets if there is no improvement.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It might take a little while to adapt.

Hope he’s back to normal eating soon.

5. BunnyBoo

Thanks. I'm just really worried about him as he has had a rough year health wise and was starting to do well before his teeth started to cause him trouble again. He seems to not be too keen on eating much when syringe feeding him at the moment and I am trying to switch between veg baby food and critical care to keep it interesting for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice