Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Worried about my new adopted Hamster

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Justy T, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Justy T

Justy T PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I adopted a Syrian Hamster from Pets At Home last month. He was up for adoption because he was only small and the other Syrian's were attacking him.
    I've had him for about 4 weeks now and he was very timid at first, running away every time I put my hand near to him but gradually we have got to the point were he will step onto my hand. He'll do this because he's desperate to get out of his cage. I bought the largest cage in the shop and have lots of boredom breakers in the cage for him - which he uses. I took him to the Vet 5 days after I got him and the Vet saw his cage and said it was definitely big enough.
    I'm concerned because he has started to show signs of what I think is distress when I put him back in his cage after he's been out in his ball which the Vet told me to use as often as possible. He runs around his cage in the same pattern over and over and has started biting the bars of his cage.
    What can I do? I think he just wants to escape the cage permanently. Should I let him run around my Living Room without the ball? If I do that he'll still not want to go back in his cage afterwards.
    Another thing I've noticed is he sleeps a lot. He generally wakes up about 8:30pm but sometimes it's later (after 9pm). Is this normal? I haven't had a hamster before and I'm worried - please help!

2. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Hamsters are nocturnal, and usually are most active after midnight. So the fact that he's displaying these behaviours, even when you're awake isn't a good sign. The behaviours he's displaying are from stress, usually too small of a cage. The bare minimum cage size for hamsters is 450 square inches, but 800 square inches or larger is preferred for Syrian hamsters especially. Unfortunately, most pet shops and vets don't even know this information, so they often give you wrong and outdated information which is really bad for the poor hamsters.. I'll link some good cages from Zooplus below. I wouldn't use one of those hamster balls, they can be very dangerous. Use/make a playpen instead, so he can't slip into a space in a wall, under a door etc. One of my past hamsters actually managed to get herself into my sofa through a gap in the fabric! We got her out safe and sound in the end luckily. Some good You Tube channels that I'd recommend checking out for hamster care are Erin's Animals and Victoria Rachael. if you need any more advice let me know, I've had 7 hammies over the years and they've taught me quite bit, but at the beginning I followed pet shop advice as well, luckily I done some research and fixed my mistakes and my hamsters were much happier then xx

3. Justy T

Justy T PetForums Newbie

Thankyou so much for the information.
    I will get a playpen and will measure out his cage today. If it isn't big enough it's going.
    Thanks again x

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  4. Wild With Roxi

5. Wild With Roxi

No Problem, happy to help xx That's great to hear :)

6. Justy T

Justy T PetForums Newbie

My current cage is just slightly smaller than these cages but I've ordered a new one from Zooplus and a playpen.
    Thanks so much for your great advice - it's upsetting watching him. Hopefully he'll be sorted now and the ball will be going in the bin.

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  7. Wild With Roxi

Lovely to hear xx Hopefully all goes well for you and your hammy xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice