Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Worried about my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Polly_P, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have an 7 year old dog who has been unwell since Sunday night.

She vomited and had dirreah Sunday and Monday, she isn't eatting but she is drinking.

Someone gave her some horrible cheap white treats on Sunday so I assumed it was those.

She tries to poo but acts like she is constipated and only runny brown mucus comes out in drops.

I took her to the vet on Tuesday and they gave her a probiotic.

Last night she vomited yellow bile.

She is rather quiet but had a burst of energy last night.

I'm really worried, also she is our family dog who I inherited from my parents who both pass away over the last couple of years. They didn't get pet insurance and the only vet near me is a well known chain with very high prices.

I have had to pay in the region of 300 over the past 3 weeks for 3 visits (She is also hypothyroid and recently had a bad leg).

I have two questions.

1. How long should I wait before going back to the vet? The probiotic is not finished yet.

2. Is it now impossible to get pet insurance?

Thank you.

2. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee PetForums Member

Finish the probiotic first before going back to vet. I can't help you about getting pet insurance since I don't have knowledge about that.

Polly_P likes this.
  3. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I will keep going with the probiotic. She has had stomach issues before but normally it clears up in a day.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you feel shes getting worse or not eating or drinking I would take her back to the vets to be honest.

It might be the treats but it seems an horrendous reaction to them.

Food stimulates the digestive system so if you haven't been advised I would be feeding a bland diet, so chicken no skin, white fish, rice, potato, scrambled egg no water. As you are cooking say fish and rice might be more stimulating for her due to the aromas...

Feed little and often so 4/5 meals instead of what was fed prior keeps the digestive system ticking over nicely. Plus it's gentle feeding this way.

The yellow sickness maybe due to her not eating. Some dogs when not ill commonly get this in the morning due to empty stomach issues. Usually adding a small meal or treats at bed time help in that scenario. Often with the sickness in an otherwise healthy dog it can also stop them from wanting to eat. Am wondering if your dog is feeling a bit nauseous or has heartburn as that's basically the cause with empty tummy and if the bland diet isn't tempting to eat then it might be worth going back sooner to the vets. They may offer heartburn treatment of antisickness tablet because I am presuming the probiotic contains fibre too. Which quite frankly only works if your dog is being fed.

You can get insurance. What you are dealing with now will be classed as pre existing so won't be covered. It also depends on what else she's had in the past too if you use the same vet as was used before I presume they have full clinical notes. Most companies will class it all as pre existing conditions.

Also as she's 7 then usually you have to pay a percentage to costs too.

Some people will get a cheap accident only cover if they have too many exclusions. Dogs trust also have a dog liability package worth having if you have no insurance too.

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I think the treats were a co-incidence as I now recall her bowl being really noisy a few days before.

I cooked some chicken on Monday and she ate a few pieces and since no appetite at all.

The vet wants a stool sample but her stomach is empty so nothing to get.

But I think you are right, I need to take her back.

The reluctance comes from the fact I can't help but feel that this particular vet tries to get as much money as possible. They really put the hard sell on me buying some really expensive food which I pushed back on as I know if she isn't eatting fresh chicken she isn't going to eat their tins of food.

I will try her again this morning with the chicken and if no joy take her back today.

6. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

if not chicken a little scrambled egg with water, if my dog was not eating and still having diarrhoea back to the vets for blood tests and something more than probiotics, if your at a chain change Vet to a local family practice once ill, there is insurance that covers pre existing conditions but they have to be clear for 6 months, so me get a cheap insurance and if the dog gets anything new then you are covered

Polly_P likes this.
  7. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I tried chicken, and all her usual things and she refused BUT amazingly I decided to buy a tin of Applepaws and she scoffed the lot.

I have not seen any dirreah, so fingers crossed.

Unfortunately chains have taken over all the vets locally and the prices feel extorniate.

Prior to her eatting today I took a stool sample ready for the vets. The stool anaylis would cost £81.00 and required 3 times so well over £200

I called a Vet lab who charge £30 for the same test and you just collect the stool samples over 3 days. Results back in 2 days. So £30 compared to £243, something feels totally wrong with that.

Anyway hopefully this will resolve itself and I will get the insurance sorted.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Just a little update.

She has eaten two more tins, her stools are stil loose but she is not dashing out every 30 minutes and in the night I have not come down to accidents over the floor.

Two days prior to this I did take her to the vet as something isn't right with her back leg, it's like a little twisted when she walks. They gave her pain relief. Probably a co-incidence as the vet said it's totally unrelated to her leg.

Anyway I found a family run vet now, it's a little further out but half the consultation fee and perfect reviews and they are up front with their prices.

I did ring around other vets and all said they couldn't give prices for thing like a thyroid blood test (she is also Hypo) unless there was a consultation first.

This feels a bit wrong to me. I thought perhaps all that's going on with her could be thyroid related.

Anyway I feel everything is on a positive path now which is the main thing.

Burrowzig and Owned by a dog like this.
  9. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee PetForums Member

That's good to know. I'm praying for her fast recovery. We'll think positive always.

Polly_P likes this.
  10. Polly_P

Polly_P PetForums Newbie

Thank you. She is so much better, I just need to get her thyroid condition under control and her leg checked.

But the stomach issue has gone. I'm glad I held out a little longer but it's always a tough decision to wait or go to the vets.

Happy Paws likes this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Just catching up.

Some pain medication can cause upset stomachs. Most are NSAIDs...which if humans are taking long term then usually some sort of stomach protection is prescribed such as omeprazole. There is no guarantee though.
    Plus most say feed with food as well to help.

At the worse case scenario taking a pain med after one or two doses dogs can get haemorrhagic gastroenteritus or something like...bit brain dead today. I know because my Yorkie got this after a dose of metacam. He had to stay overnight at the vets and had blood poo. Well just blood as it effected him badly.

So am a bit at a loss saying the leg is unrelated. Yes the leg is...but the treatment might not be.

Glad you found another vet.

Don't worry other painkillers even NDAIDs can be used. Not all will cause problems

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Was it Metacam and, if so, did she have any on an empty stomach?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice