Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about my 16 y/o cat / character change

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by softpaws, Jul 8, 2009.

1. softpaws

softpaws PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am so worried about my cat and I hope someone can give me some advice.

About 3 weeks ago my 16 y/o cat went missing for about a week. When he came back he had a bad abcess on his chin. I kept it clean with salt water and took him to the vet the next day.

The vet said his wound was badly infected, but the least of his worries and she suspected chronic renal failure because he was also very dehydrated as well as weight loss. She told us to be prepared for the worst.

He was kept in a veterinary clinic over the weekend on a drip and I picked him up the next Monday. They said his results were not as bad as initially thought and he only had slightly elevated kidney enzymes, but this may well be because of his infection, but could also be because of CRF. I was allowed to take him home in the afternoon.

Last week I took him again for more blood tests and they showed that his kidney enzymes had gone down a bit since his last test 3 days before. His abcess is healing up nicely, but he does have lesions in his mouth which may cause him discomfort, and could be a result of CRF. The vet is not 100 % sure that he's got CRF but suspects he does and has given me Ipakitine to sprinkle over his food and he doesn't seem to mind that at all.

My cat is eating, but he doesn't want to eat his regular food. He will only eat cooked chicken, minced steak, and the odd bit of cooked fish. I give him small meals of those about 5 times a day. He is drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Since coming from hospital he has vomited only once and I think that was because he ate too fast.

What worries me so much though is that his character has changed. Now he only seems interested in me because I may have food. He does purr sometimes when I stroke him, but doesn't seem to enjoy it like he used to. He used (still was about 3 weeks ago) to be so affectionate, and loved to sit on my lap for really long times. Now he's taken up residence in the bathroom of all places, and he only comes out to eat, or for the litterbox/garden. His eyes are big and bright when he looks at me, but it is a vacant stare. Not at all how he used to look at me. He does recognise me, but hardly listens to me calling. He is almost like a zombie in a way. I wonder if this is because he now needs all his energy to get better? Or is he in pain? Or does he just feel miserable? Has anyone else experienced this with their cat?

He'll have to see the vet this Saturday for a checkup and I will ask some questions there, but last time I mentioned that he seemed dazed the vet was surprised and did not offer any information.

Any advice or experiences are very much appreciated :)

2. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi,
    I don't know if this will help you, but my parents have a cat that is on a renal diet because of kidney problems and she also has a thyroid issue. 'Tigger's' personality changed a bit and I think it's because she is dealing with the change in herself. She has retreated into herself somewhat and what we've done is to adjust ourselves to her condition. We try to encourage her to play and be stroked, but we don't push her. I would say just give him a little more attention (if he wants it) and let the new routine go on. Keep the vet informed and see how it goes.

Good luck, I hope he get's better.

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, I can only suggest that you talk to the vet about his change in behaviour, it must be very distressing for you x

4. catbasket

catbasket PetForums Member

Sounds like something pretty stressful happened to him in the time he was missing.

Our Zebedee was a total lap cat and loved being picked up for cuddles until we had to take him to the vet due to having a thorn in his eye. After that he completely stopped jumping onto laps and would struggle and fight to get free if anyone picked him up. It was a couple of months before he would be happy being picked up, and he's only just getting back to being the same lap cat now, about four months later.

I think you just need to give him more time to recover. Hopefully he'll get back to his old self a lot quicker than Zeb - who was only a year old and had only been with us for four months at the time.

All the best!

5. softpaws

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

I've got a feeling he stayed away for a week because of his abcess (it seems it wasn't caused by a fight, but because of a gum infection). About 3 years ago he also disappeared for a week and his teeth were badly infected, and most had to be extracted.

He has always been quite sensitive and easily upset, so maybe he is still stressed from his stay in the clinic. I shall keep on giving him lots of TLC and hope he will become his old perky self again soon.

The good thing is that he is putting on weight. He was so skinny, but seems to be filling out a bit now. I will ask the vet on Saturday and keep you all updated.
    :)

6. softpaws

Well, it's not looking too good :(

About 3 years ago all his teeth, or so we were told, were taken out. But they left 2 molars without telling us :mad:, and they are now in a very bad state. One of those was probably the cause of the abcess. The vet says an operation is too risky for him, because of his kidney disease. And I wouldn't even want to put him through all that stress.

She also thinks that it is very likely he will get another abcess within the next couple of months. On top of that he has a growth in his mouth.

Yesterday he was ok, but today he is feeling bad I can tell. Yesterday he was eating so well, but today he only had a little bit, maybe his mouth is too sore. I am so so sad, he's been such a treasure, and I hope I will know when it's time to do what's best for him.

7. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

poor baby, sending some healing vibes for him and some snuggles

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

That's sad news - you will know when it is time - enjoy him whilst you have him.

9. softpaws

Today I had to let my beloved cat go.

He was attempting to eat his favourite, chicken, and started to bleed from his mouth so badly, so I knew it was time.

He lost a lot of blood and fainted for a little while.

I phoned my husband, who works way, and hubby came over immediately (about 3 1/2 hours' drive).

I had my beloved cat on my lap for the last precious hours, and told him everything I wanted to tell him, whilst stroking him.

When hubby came home, we took him up to the vet. Usually he would put up a struggle in the car, but he was just too weak, poor little mite.

When the vet saw him, and made doubly sure it'd be best to put him to rest, it luckily only took 2 or 3 seconds. I've never seen my hubby so upset.

He was so so loved, and he loved us back in return. I will never ever forget his sweet little face.

I think I did the best thing I could do by him, but it is so hard to let go. Hubby says my precious cat looked at me in his last seconds as if to say' thank you'. I can't even remember, because I was so dazed, but hubby would not make things like that up, and I would like to hold on to that thought.

Tomorrow we are going to bury our precious 16 y/o boy in one of his beloved spots in the garden, and may he rest in eternal peace.

All my love for Ahmar, my very special boy.

Softpaws
    xxxx

10. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss :(

11. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss. His passing sounds almost exactly like when my sisters cat was released from his suffering. He'd had several gum problems and teeth removed then was diagnosed with CRF. Unfortunately her husband was working away in Cambridge which is about 6 - 7 hour drive away. Luckily I stayed with her when he was put to sleep and it was very peaceful. I think you made the right decision for your beloved cat and he'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

12. tsgiss

tsgiss PetForums Newbie

13. tsgiss

tsgiss PetForums Newbie

14. softpaws

Thank you so much for you kind messages.

We buried him on Thursday in a lovely spot in the garden he so loved. And I will plant a climbing red rose there in the spring. He loved to climb and his name Ahmar meant red in Arabic (we got him in the Middle-East where we both used to work).

His sister Rhumadi (grey in Arabic) misses him and keeps looking out for him. I'm grieving so much for him, but I know it will get better in time.

xxxx

purrlover likes this.
  15. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

so so sorry...:(

16. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to read this.

You did the right thing for him and I am sure he had a wonderful life.

17. jeanus44

jeanus44 PetForums Newbie

I had my little 17 year ol Ayla put to sleep last Monday so I know what you are going through. In your early posts I thought the end was close because thats how Ayla behaved. It took only 3 days for her to deteriorate and she withdrew into herself and took up residence on the floor in the hall. I realise that she must have been poorly for a while because she became very vocal and wouldnt leave my side as if she was trying to tell me something. Its almost a week and me and my hubby are still crying over the ordeal. The house is so quiet without her and its like if the lights have been turned off. We miss her so much!

18. softpaws

I'm so sorry for you loss too jeanus.

Our Ahmar did come out of the bathroom for the last two weeks and spent every evening on my lap for which I am so grateful. I think he knew his time was coming and it's like he wanted to say goodbye.

I think your Ayla was also saying goodbye and thanking you.

xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice