Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about Molly

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kat&molly, Jan 18, 2012.

1. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I think she has an Anal Gland infection. She had 1 in the summer and it took 2 courses of tablets to clear up, the vet was concerned and mentioned having them removed:(
    I dont know why it happens, she always has 'good' poos. Plus shes lost some weight recently and I cant get it back on.
    Vets tomorrow:(

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Oh dear :(. A friend's dog had her anal glands removed, she did say that she would only ever have it done as a last resort after trying everything else.

Could the weight loss be down to the weather being colder?

Hope all goes well at the vet anyway; keep us updated xx.

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Kali has had an anal gland abscess and now I get them emptied around every three months. Tried doing it myself and the vet does it internally which she'll let me do (bless her) but I can't find the buggers, lol! :confused:

I wouldn't have them removed when all you need to do is get them emptied before they become impacted and cause infection. ;)

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Molly :( Hope the vet has an easy fix for her x

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I wouldn't ever put her through an OP if she didn't need it- but they weren't full, just infected, according to the vets:confused:

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh dear poor Molly.

I don't think you can generalise with regards to anal glands and I personally don't think firm poos make that much difference.

I've had dogs which have been OK all their lives, some that have had problems as youngsters and then been alright as they've grown older and others that have been perfectly OK up to about 7 yrs old and then started having anal gland problems.

Fidget, the little bitch I lost almost two years ago now (old age not anal gland problems I hasten to add) used to get impacted glands quite a lot - thick yellow gunge. I use to express her glands about every two weeks.

There are a couple of dogs that train with me that have had their anal glands removed successfully but not a nice op.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Oh no:(

A friend of mine's dog had her anal glands removed and recovered very well - but I hope this won't be necessary in Molly's case.

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Has she had them flushed out under GA...Mavis used to get infected anal glands..she had hers flushed out and then they are filled with antibiotics...she never had a problem again x

9. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Thanks. No it didn't get mentioned but something I can ask for first-hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    So Mavis' glands didn't get full/impacted either?

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Don't think they were overly full if i remember just she was always scooting and the liquid that came out kept showing signs of an infection...so when she was getting spade they flushed out the glands also

a few people say that adding a teaspoon of bran to their food helps to keep them empty as it bulks up the stool

11. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Poor Molly :( ....hope you manage to get her sorted without needing them removed, good luck at the vets tomorrow and keep us updated.

Give her a hug from me and Nikita :)

12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I certainly wouldn't make the decision to have them removed after just one infection. Or even two. It's something I discussed with my vets as Ruperts got infected several times, all of them were firmly against it unless it became absolutely necessary. If this vet insists then personally I'd get a second opinion.

I hope Molly feels better soon.

13. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Although every dog is different it certainly made a difference to our Nelson. On average we were having to have them emptied once every two months. After changing diet and having firm poop, over 8 months ago, we have not had to have them emptied at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice