Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about cat birth

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by loz83, Mar 28, 2011.

1. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site, but need to get advice from somewhere :) I took in a stray cat just before xmas. she was only young but i wasn't sure how young. I didn't take her to the vet because she was very timid and I wanted her to get used to us and trust us more before i tried to shove her in a box. She managed to get out of a window and i thought she'd just gone off again. she came back after about 4 days, but i didn't know she had been on heat, i didn't think she was old enough. sure enough, she's is pregnant and expecting approx. 5-6 kittens (from what the vet said). I am really worried because she is only small and only approx 9 months old. she's due within the next week to 10 days (not 100% sure when she mated) she's a beautiful cat though and also wondering if i post a pic, would anyone know if she is a type of cat or just a moggie. Thanks for your time everyone :)

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I think she will do fine you will no wen she is ready to birth she will act different.If you can be there wen she gives birth it will be better if she looks like she is struggling then dont wait to long before getting help. I have known people with cats around her age give birth fine,try not to worrie she will be fine x

3. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Thankyou!!! im also worried how my other female cat is going to be around the kittens, she was mine from being 8 weeks so has been spayed, vaccinated etc. but she has recently taken a dislike to the queen, and keeps hissing and smacking her. the queen dotes on the older female (she's only just 1 yr tho) and i dont know how she's going to be, or even why she's acting like this. she hasn't always been my only cat. We had a big boy when we got her and he had to be pts :( due to a genetic heart problem, so its not even like she's always had us to herself. She has been fine with the young queen up until a couple of weeks ago :blink:

4. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Firstly, are you prepared for the birth? Have you set up a private area for her with a suitably sized box with plenty of clean towels inside? Have a ready of the 'sticky' about what to have in your birthing box if you need more info.

I would be very cautious about your other girl attacking her, if you are worried at all i would keep them apart, especially once she is in labour, you don't want any extra stresses for her.

If she has seen the vet and they say she will be ok, chances are that she will be.

There are loads of breeders here who can give advice, but the best source is still your vet. If in any doubt, give them a call.

I wish you the best of luck with the birth :)

p.s.

Beware of people telling you everything is fine, no one on here can actually guarantee that without being with you, seeing your cat, and observing the labour. :)

5. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

HI, thanks 4 ur help! Iv got a large box under the kitchen table in the corner, nice quiet and dark, keeping other female out while we aren't home in the day n makin sure queen is only in the kitchen, she seems to feel safest there, vet sed with so many babies they'd prob b all quite small, and that this will work in her favour when she gives birth as they should fit thru the pelvis ok, I'm really nervous now its gettin so close, and I will defo keep everyone updated and try and put sum pics on if babies are all ok :) x

#5 loz83, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. alisondalziel

We all love a 'live labour' here, you can let us know when she goes into labour, when each kitten is born, and ask any questions you have have at each stage, there's usually someone here, even at night.

Wishing you all the best... :)

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Alison's advice is great :thumbsup:
    Make sure the birthing area is warm enough. A box with a lid over helps to keep out draughts and make it cosy. If you can get hold of any puppy training pads or incontinence sheets, I've found these are excellent to use in the birthing box. There is very little mess with kittens being born but the pads can just be thrown away afterwards.
    Keep us posted and have your vet's number handy, just in case. Good luck :)

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

Good luck, keep us posted, we would love to see a picture of her, and remember, there is usually someone on here if you need to ask any questions,:)

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

you do not know any of that, young cat mums dont make great mums, just ask tje who has been rearing them for 20years.

you have to be ready for everything, that is a large litter, id have £700 saved aside for a c-section, and all the whelping hand rearing items you can get, cimi-cat, and feedinf items, ask a expereinced foster or breeder near you to teach you how to feed them properly (as if done wrong it can go in their lungs)

keep a vet on speed dial, and contact local fosters/breeders asking if they might help you when the birth time comes.

good luck, keep us updated :)

10. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Puppy pads are a great idea, never thought of that!!! and its lovely and warm where the birthing box is, next to the radiator, thats prob y she likes it!!! I've included some photos of Skittle (named because she was so skittish when we found her) so I hope you all like her :) (only one pic cos it took me ages to get it the right size lol)

Attached Files:

11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

She's got a lovely smile on her face :) Contented kitty

12. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

you wouldn't have thought that 6 months ago, with her being a stray she wouldn't come near us, and even when i got hold of her she'd sit for a while but wouldn't purr, its was so sad :( but finally got her to purr for me (had to force it a bit) and she's been lovely ever since, can't believe someone left such a beautiful cat, feel like iv done gud tho turning round a stray, she really is a beauty!!! :)

13. colliemerles

shes very pretty, do keep us posted, good luck with her, love her name.:)

14. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Aww thankyou :) quick question, her nipples have gone massive this evening, n very bright pink, and she keeps licking them, is this normal near birth time and if so, how long possibly till she has them lol :confused:

15. alisondalziel

What are the dates she was outside?

She is showing so probably 2/3 weeks to go. Can you see or feel any movement if you gently hold your hand on her belly?

Pinking of the nipples usually happens at 3 weeks, she is well past that :p

16. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

no, she's due anytime this week, figured they mite b filling up with milk? just not sure how long before the birth this happens :)

17. Cat Lover Chris

Cat Lover Chris PetForums Member

Loz83;

You do realise the whole of this forum will be expecting pictures and full details of the birth including regular updates !!

Wo-be-tide you if you don't (Tee Hee........):D

18. colliemerles

is there any news yet, how is she. as said we will need pictures and want all the details.....:D,:D

19. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

she seems fine, no signs yet!!! definately nesting tho, keeps trying to climb into my dvd shelves and behind the tv!!! :rolleyes: getting really excited tho, glad i can come on here when she starts tho and at least have some people to talk it through with :D can't wait to see what colours they're gonna be :D

20. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

earliest she can be due i think is thursday?! spent ages working it out on the calender lol, if i've worked it out correctly, she will be 63 days, and thats if she caught on on the first night she got out. is this about right??? and how common is it for them to be early/late???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice