UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there :)

I've recently adopted a cat called Charlie (who looks like a black siamese, so either an oriental shorthair or siamese x I guess) and I'm a bit worried as he's started being sick with increasing frequency.

He's 12 and has a few medical problems, including FIV and a benign blood filled mass in his chest, so is obviously an indoor cat.

I will have been owned by Charlie for 2 weeks this Thursday and he was sick for the first time on the first Saturday I had him, in the early hours of the morning. I didn't think too much of it, but he was then sick again mid-last week straight after breakfast (I think this was down to gobbling his food too fast) then sick this Monday (again in the early hours) and has been sick twice today.

When we first got him he was on Felix senior pouches and purina proplan biscuits (as these are what he had been fed before), however I had quite a job geting him to eat the pouches... he just licked up the jelly, so, as I did want to get him onto a better food anyway, I ordered some Animoda Carny. As he was pretty much refusing the Felix, before the Animoda Carny arrived, I changed him (over a couple of days) onto Gourmet Gold. I know again not great quality, but I guessed since it was a pate at least he couldn't lick the jelly off and would at least be eating a bit more! When the AC came I gradually changed him onto that and as of today he has just been having the AC (and no biscuits).

I'm really not sure if it is food linked, however, as apart from when he ate his breakfast too fast, he has been sick hours after having anything to eat, and the sick has been really quite liquid. When he was sick today it was at around 2 ish (he had his breakfast at 7.30) and the second time he was sick was around 7pm and was just a small amount clear liquid and a bit of grass.

Apart from being sick he seems well in himself, still noisy, nosy, friendly and active and his appetite is good too. He is drinking and weeing and pooping normally as well.

I weighed him today as I was worried about him losing weight, but he's actually heavier than than the first day I weighed him, which was the day I got him (he now weighs approx 4kg).

I've not had an indoor cat before and I guess our old cats were just sick outside so you never knew when the had been sick really, so I'm not sure when you start thinking about making a vet appointment?

Sorry, looks like I've written a bit of an essay!
Rebecca

edit:
just to say I fed him a couple of hours ago and no signs of being sick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice :)

He was adopted from cats protection and they gave me his medical history from the past 6 months and his last vet check with them was on the 2nd October.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.