Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

worried about birth of kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Momo12, May 29, 2010.

1. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Hi from another newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi my name is Mo and am new to this site, found it a couple of weeks ago when looking for info for my pregnant cat 'Geri', I know mating took place on 1st April (no it wasn't an April fools joke) so figure we are on day 59.
    Never had a pregnant cat before and the only reason we have done this is because Geri had a sister called Nandie and they had been together since birth, we got them when they were 10 weeks old, unfortunatley we lost Nandie on March 17th this year after she had been attacked by a dog or something similar, which was very very emotional, after trying to save her for 10 days and spending over £800 on vet fees, nonetheless no amount of money or time could save her, Geri has missed Nandie since and has been 'lost' so we decided rather than get another kitten/cat we would let her have her own litter and keep 1 or 2 of them for company for her then she will be spayed most definately, anyway I digress, am quite anxious about the birth etc and my daughter told me this morning the mother can become quite aggressive towards her kittens and even kill them can anyone confirm this, and should we just leave her to it or should we help her, everything is ready for her, birthing bed, towels,floss etc but not sure about any of it so any help would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Hi Mo.

You're in the right forum, so that's a good start. I wont get into the whys of the situation.

I do however recommend you go and look at the pages full of advice in this section. All your answers are there and then some.

3. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

thank you so much I will do that immediately.:)

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Killing kittens is not normal behaviour. I have seen it twice in 18 years of breeding. The first time the cat had several deformed kittens and the conclusion was that having killed those she got carried away and killed the others too. The second was when a dog got into the bedroom and carried off one of the kittens and then the mother cat killed the rest. It is not normal and there is no reason for you to expect it.

It is best if you can be there when the cat is giving birth in case anything goes wrong, but usually everything proceeds just fine and there is nothing for you to do except watch.

Liz

5. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

:thumbup: hi mo.. welcome to pf .. i too have a 1st time pregnant cat and im also on day 58 ! so sounds like we shall be going through this about the same time , sorry to hear about nandie , hows the mum to be ? my honey is very large and doinf very well in general :)
    julie xx

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello and welcome to the forum, im sure someone will be online when your cats has her kittens, so you will be able to ask for help or advise, good luck and let us know how she gets on.xx:)

7. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Thank you all so much for your replies feel a bit easier now, seems silly to be worried a cat giving birth when animals do it all the time in the wild and domestic pets, but I think since losing Nandie am more aware of trying to protect Geri now.

Julie - Nice to hear someone else at the same stage and altho very exciting its the not knowing when its gonna be thats doing me in now, still won't be long now eh, Geri is quite a small cat and 16 months old but she does look very podgy around her middle so think she only has maybe 2 or 3 kittens, read somewhere you can see them move in the later stages but I don't think I have, have you seen it at all in Honey, so heres to the next few days then and some lovely new little bundles take care of you and yours.
    Mo xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice