Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about Bella

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sarybeagle, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Bella started her season last Sunday (day 7 today) and has been very heavy since day one and today she is incredibly swollen not just her vulva but the area around her bottom to her tail-I dont know the correct term sorry.

She is still pouring blood constantly and Ive just noticed it smells fishy/off! :confused: Now this cant be normal surely? Up until now its just smelt of blood metallic smell.

Any ideas? She is quiet today bit has been since first day of season. She is still eating, drinking normally and her usual cheeky self. Thanks Sary xx

2. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

She could be having problems with an impacted anal gland or an abcess in that area, the fishy smell is usually the anal glands, I would have her checked by a vet she may need AB's

Mo

3. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Thank you-she did have her anal glands emptied a month or so ago as she was scooting a lot after pooing but didnt look at all swollen like this :( I would take a pic if it wasnt too graphic lol!!

4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Can't offer any advice Sarah sorry

just sending Bella hugs from Alfie:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Just wanted to add a pic-I do warn you it's a close up lol! But it may help others with bitches in season too?
    http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/sarystew/6a19ec5c.jpg

she doesn't smell so much today but bleeding is so heavy-my duvet is going to the launderettes shortly after she fell asleep on it earlier :(

6. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

Wow in all my time seeing bitches in season this is the most I have seen one swell up so much, personally I would be taking her to a vet to have it checked out. not wanting to scare you but it looks like she is verging on a prolapse to me, but I am no vet.

Mo

#6 moboyd, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  7. oveione

oveione PetForums VIP

Ah bless her would defo take her to the vets as my girl is also on day seven of her first season and she is not as swollen as that.

8. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I would take her to the vet because there is a chance that she has a dangerous uterine infection called pyometra.

As others have said, anal glands could also be giving you the fishy smell and if you last had her glands expressed a month ago, it may well be that.

But you definitely want to rule out pyometra as that is a dangerous infection. I'm not trying to frighten you. Just to alert you that because pyometra is a possibility, you should have the vet check her and rule it out for her safety and your peace of mind. You'd normally see signs of pyometra following a heat, not during, but it can't hurt to let the vet check her out.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pyometra-in-dogs/page1.aspx

#8 JessiesGirl, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I've seen bitches that swollen, and I've known some really smelly ones when in season. The pouring with blood would concern me. No-one can make a diagnosis online though - best to get the vet check her out.

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I'm taking her into vets first thing tomorrow. Bleeding is tailing off somewhat but if she runs about she gets bloodied on her legs, which in a previous post people said was normal.

Thanks for replies will keep close on on her-still eating fine, not drinking excessivly even though it's a hot day, cold wet nose and desp to go out for a walk! Will keep you posted xx

11. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

If others have seen that much blood, I reckon she's probably ok. I've never seen that much myself. Anyway I'm sure the vet will give her a thorough check. Good luck. :)

12. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Hi our Spaniel swells like that too but is very light on the bleeding, hope all goes well at vets keep us posted.

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi my springer was as swollen as that in fact you could see it pushing through the feathering she has round her back end the swelling was quite alarming to me when i first saw it, dont know about the bleeding though mollys was just the odd spotting. Hope she's ok.

14. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Just to let you know Bella was MORE swollen than that. Our vet said it's the most swollen he has seen in his 11 years of practice. Everyone who had seen Bella when she was on heat will not forget the size of her vulva...it si still often brought up!!

So hopefully it's nothing wrong with your Bella either, just a heavy season.

15. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

16. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

oh no i hope she`s ok xxxx

17. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I wouldnt be too concerned about how much the "lips" are swollen, this can vary on each bitch, my only concern was the bulge above the labia going up to the anus, that looks really swollen, as you say you are going to the vets tomorrow, hopefully when the vet sees it for real rather than on photes they would have a better idea if this is normal or not, hope the smell is nothing more than anal glands.

Mo

18. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

She's booked in for 430 so I'll update after that x bleeding is heavy again and looking very swollen all round her back end and constantly licking/biting there xx

19. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed x

20. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Bless her, I have no idea at all about seasons or bitches so I will just send happy thoughts that she gets on OK at the vets :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice