Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about a neighbour's dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MollySmith, Mar 30, 2017.

1. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I've been worrying about this for a long time, and I thought I might be over thinking but I'd like to share and see what you think.

There's a row of houses at the end of our garden and one of the occupants has a dog. Yesterday they put the dog out in the garden about 5 and at 8 it was still barking on and off, and whimpering. They've done the same this evening. It's not every day or at the same time but when the dog is left it seems like several hours and always outside. They are rather posh town houses so perhaps it's rented and the dog has to stay outside.

I did ask the RSCPA if they could have a look in on it as I can't work out which house and that was after it was left for about 4-5 hours and I couldn't establish which house. It was a last option - I'd prefer to ask in person. I haven't heard anything and that was last summer.

It's not so much annoying as I honestly think it incredibly sad to her it. Molly isn't in the least bit bothered. Sadly I can't see the dog as the gardens are very low down.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Without being able to identify which house it is it's difficult to know what you can do.
    Although the dog doesn't like it as it's not all the time I expect it's "needs are being met"
    Maybe contact the council to report a "noise nuisance"?
    Poor dog though :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

5pm - 8pm?

4. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

It's outside for 3-5 ish hours at a time? Many many many thousands of dogs are left for longer than that on a daily basis. Some of em bark the whole time too......

#4 Lexiedhb, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  5. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

There is a row of house at the bottom of my hill, I constantly hear a dog barking from one of them, I don't know what house it comes from as its too far away for me too see and you can't access their gardens.
    I think it's kept in a garage all day/night or pen outside, I'm not sure :(

There is nothing I can really do, I can't report it as I can't report all the houses on the terrace block. Maybe it's well taken care of as Well? I just don't know ... :(

6. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I cant say I agree with it though. Why bother having a pet dog if its just going to be shoved outside for hours at a time on its own when it doesn't want to be by itself?

7. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I agree with you. Why do people do a lot of things regarding their pets? It wouldn't be the way I chose to keep a dog, nor many on here, but thats not to say the dogs needs are not being met, or there is an actual reason for it. One could also argue that it is a preferable situation to being in kennels 24/7

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Our Dog Warden won't do anything until you complete a record form for a set period - 2 weeks, I think. What time, how long, dog distressed, you distressed/disturbed, etc.

Maybe start jotting down the times/duration and type of noise so you have all the info to fill in a form should you decide to pursue .

It is upsetting to hear a dog seemingly being dumped outside like this, but the authorities don't seem to do anything about it until it gets into the realms of extreme cruelty - which is too late IMO :(

To me, a polite word "by the authorities" with these owners in the early days (coupled with some useful advice on proper care and training, etc.) could improve the situation for everybody, including the dog and could be a quick and easy solution.

"ETA"

#8 Lurcherlad, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Or you could get very short thrift and told in no uncertain terms to bog off and mind your own business.......

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I meant the Dog Warden or RSPCA inspector to have a word ;)

I agree that neighbours trying to sort it out in a friendly way, however non confrontational, would often be met with hostility!

Whereas, a word from someone in authority might be enough, hopefully :)

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Ahh I see. Yes true but in this situation I dont think either will get involved

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I think that depends upon ones understanding of what "needs" actually means. As I see it a dog is a sentient being with emotions and its mental needs are every bit as important as physical ones. The law in the country is only concerned with the latter however.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think you maybe need to know a little more before getting agencies involved. Are they home and the dog is just a barky dog chasing imaginary cats in the garden? Is he in a kenelled dog run and just barking when he hears something? Do you see them go out? Have they actually left him thinking outside may be more fun (stimulating) for him. Or has he got separation anxiety? Or are you thinking he is neglected?

Round here we have two spaniels that have a kennelled dog run in the back garden ...the dogs do go inside when the folks are at home but are always left in the run when they go out ...and they bark if they hear anything ....and set mine off. And mine set their off lol They are happy, well looked after dogs though who go on extremely long walks with their super fit family. In fact quite a few folk round here have dogs that live a lot of their life outdoors/in then garden ....the farm dogs included. To me it's normal. So long as the dogs are well cared for of course.

So maybe you need to take a closer look?

J

ouesi and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Like i said i agree with u, and wouldn't keep a dog this way, however, the RSPCA/ dog warden will see it differently

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Thanks to everyone who replied, I've started to note down how long as last night it was at least 4pm until 11pm and again this morning. I might see if I can see the dog outside, short of some dangerous parkour I can't see the conditions in the garden but there are always neighbours.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice