Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about a bump

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by missye87, Apr 12, 2011.

1. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

The mixing the antibiotic powder with milk and giving through a yringe did't work - he ended up hypersalivating and dribbling and coughing it all up! Mince meat had to do the trick!

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How is he now? Still on antibiotics? Did you notice any 'drainage' around the lump area? Though of course it's possible he removed it himself! All things considered I'm wondering if perhaps it had become infected as well? It's not uncommon for abscesses to rupture like this sometimes.

At any rate hopefully this is the end of it!

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I kept an eye on him while he crept underneath so I'm sure he hasn't licked anything off it, and there is no drainage anywhere. He is in agony, we get sent home with painkillers but I'm worried. He just jumped down off the bed and growled as he was in pain. He must be in so much pain, his pupils are gigantic and his whiskers pulled back :( It hurts me to see him this way as all I want to do is take his pain away.

The antibiotics ended on Tuesday, but the bump was there well before the antibiotics finished, although the vet said it was a calcified lump rather than fluid filled, but doesn't seem like that was the case now :(

The vet checked him over, said there was nothing wrong with his joints etc, he just seemed very very sore from where the bump used to be. Gave him an injection with painkillers and an additional 2-3 days worth with me home to give orally. Do you know how long it takes for the painkillers to kick in? As it was given about 45 mins ago and he is still in pain :(
    He said if he is still in pain in two days time they will operate. Am I silly for feeling that he should be operated on as soon as possible to find out the underlying issue rather than prolong his pain?

Ems x

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Depending on the strength of the painkiller I would have though it should have kicked in by now. I don't quite understand why he's in so much pain though unless something is pressing on a nerve? Is there an actual puncture wound? I'm wondering if perhaps it has 'disappeared' internally and not ruptured at all? In which case this could account for the pain. Very strange though!

The enlarged pupils can indicate high blood pressure as well.

If you're still concerned about his level of pain I would call the vets again and if necessary take him back tonight.

This must be so stressful for you and of course you hate seeing him in pain like this! I know I would!

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You know if I didn't know better I would think you were describing what happens when I get one of my abscesses!

I hope you get answers and your boy feels better very soon.

#25 Aurelia, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hi, just reading through your post and was wondering how the old fella is xxx

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

The painkiller kicked in shortly after I posted, he settled down and went to sleep and has had two portions of boiled fish with chicken since so he is eating. He hadn'tmoved much during the night, just shifted around underneath the bed but came with me to the kitchen with only a very slight limp so the pain meds must still be active. Just gave him his morning dose as well though, which he got up to drink water after.

It is still sore if I touch it but he purrs if I scratch his chin and his pupils have gone back to their normal size.

The strange thing about the bump was that there never was a puncture wound and still isn't (vet checked). He also felt him over properly even though it hurt Sooty to see if it had just gone deeper but you can feel his muscles, bones and spine through the skin now, there is only a slight bit of fluid left.

I'm going to bring him up on to the bed in abit, see if that can make him more comfortable, seeing he always sleeps with me on my pillow. I've also put his favorite blanket underneath the bed so it's slightly more comfortable.

Just had a bit of a good sign though, his tail was twitching for the first time in over a month so must indicate that he is comfortable and not in pain at least. That does however make me realise he has probably been in slught pain this whole time :(

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Awe love him, hopefully hes on the mend for you. Little buggers surely know how to worry the life out of us xxx

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Glad to hear he's painfree now! Sounds to me now as if it ruptured internally ( another consideration is that it would have continued to bleed otherwise ) and the fluid has dispersed internally-hence the pain!

By the way-did that sample sent to the lab yield any results?

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It was just blood, no infections or bloodclotting problems!

I opened the back door for him as he seems keen to go out for some fresh air and he practically ran up and down the stairs which is a further indication he isn't in pain. He seems quite happy and active now. The vet said there were no injuries to his muscles or joints so I'm trying not to worry about him exaggerating any damage by walking around without limping. It's quite a relief to see him so carefree. I'm still keeping an eye on him though!

I'll be monitoring him and hopefully I can keep pain relief to a minimum, hoping that whatever is sore will no longer be so in a day or so.
    As thd blood has dispersed would that be causing the pain? Hopefully if that is why then the blood would be reabsorbed gradually and he would be in less pain.

Welshjet: they sure as hell do! God knows I've barely slept during the night, but as he is so comfortable I've just managed to catch an extra 3 hours shuteye :)

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

You must be soo relieved he's better but I'd keep up the pain control for the moment just in case! At least for today

I'd imagine the rupturing would have caused the pain though it's hard to say! Hav you noticed it reforming again ( hopefully not! ) or is it still quite flat?

Will be very interesting to see what happens from now on.

12. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It hasn't reformed as of yet, no, but I'm not ruling it out yet as it's already returned 3 times!

I'm very relieved, he has been acting like the lovable mad cat he always has been. I'm lucky he is such a kind soul otherwise I suspect he would have scratched and bitten me when I feel the area, he just meows to tell me it's sore if I do.

I was given 2-3 days worth depending on how much pain he seems to be in, instructions to give one in the morning and one in the evening and if he seems to be in pain inbetween I have an extra one for today and tomorrow. It's been over 5 hours since his last one, he is currently sleeping in his favorite position after having done a bit of investigating in the garden!

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

So sorry to read that Soots has had another painful episode with this 'lump' - the poor wee man.

I was so relieved to get to your last post and read that he appears to be back on form. The fingers & paws are crossed here at Moggy Towers that this is him back on the road to happy good health.

More big (((HUGS))) to you both.

14. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I know :( Although on a positive note he has had 5 meals over the past 24 hours of quite a bit of cod and chicken, so he is eating. He is doing this manic thing, walking back and forth between underneath the bed and the kitchen. Although since last night he is becoming more social, jumping up on top of me for cuddles and being as chatty as he usually is. He is also doing a bit of tail-wagging, which indicates he isn't as sore as before, and he isn't limping either. He has even been going outside to go to the toilet and have a dig and sniff around the garden.

I monitored him yesterday thinking I'd have to give him all three doses considering the pain he had been in the night before, but he only had the two required ones and he was perfectly ok. It doesn't hurt him if I feel the area, but I'm really cautious and don't want to prod it too much. Still a bit of fluid in there but nowhere near the same as before.

I'm praying that this is the last we hear of it, but knowing his run of bad luck lately, it probably won't be. He is getting lots of love though in the meanwhile.
    We have an appointment at the vets today to see what the vet thinks, whether he might need an op tomorrow or not.

It's such a strange situation as the vet I'm seeing at the moment (the emergency vet, but he is covering our practice while our usual vet is on hols) is slightly older but has never seen this before either. He was going to ask around with some colleagues too, but it really seems like nobody has ever encountered this before. Trust Soots to go and be the odd cat out!

Ems xx

15. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hiya Missye87,

Keeping paws and other bits crossed for you and Sooty, let us know how you get on at the vets x

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hey Soots, Hope you had a good visit to the vet today and that the news is good. Waiting to hear your update when you're ready. :)

welshjet likes this.
  17. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

His appointment was at 5.45, so I managed to pick him up and pop him in his box without too much of a struggle. He usually goes on his leash to the vets as he hates his box.

Anyways :)
    Got to the vet, vet checked him over, there is a hard bump there again, albeit much smaller than the previous one :( He wants to give it one more week due to the fact that it popped by itself the other day, and it may be coming to an end. He said this is what sometimes happens with the aural ones, that once they actually pop, they are nearing the end.

I've got some more pain meds as he is doing well on them, to last him until Tuesday. His usual vet is back on Tues, so he has a morning appointment then. If it hasn't healed by that morning, I've made it clear I want them to operate and find out what is so wrong inside him. I don't want this to go on for any longer, especially in light of the fact that even if he was hiding it well, he has pretty much been in pain for a month and a half.

I would much rather they operate and fix whatever is wrong, than try and let it heal by itself any longer as it's come back so many times now. I love him to bits and would rather just get it fixed so he can be his happy sprightly self again. It's been great seeing him so happy, wagging his tail (he is a bit dog-like in that sense) and walking around much more.

So Monday night no more food, so he is prepared to go in for an op. I sincerely hope they can find something like a leaking blood vessel or even that there is something in there making him bleed over and over again, anything would be a relief really as it means if they know what is wrong, they know how to fix it!

Thanks all for your support, Sooty sends a big snug and a bit of a tailwag! :)

xx

18. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Awe love him, keep us posted xxx

walking to the vets on a harness, he must be such a chilled sooty for you when he is 100%.

Jet would need to go in a carrier which he does not like going into, once in tho, he does settle quickly, but throughout any car journey we get - oi, oi, oi

19. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

He is fairly chilled usually but has lately been getting more stressed about going to the vets as he has been in and out like a yo-yo!
    We do get the oi-oi too :) He likes to tell everybody he has horrible owners that take him to the horrible vets all the time.

He hasn't eaten since yesterday morning again, and is not even showing interest in fish, chicken or his treats. We had to resort to mushing some food up with water and feeding with a syringe this morning.

Have asked my OH to start giving him his meds, firstly he needs to practice if god forbid I'm not there one evening, but also so that Soots doesn't only think I do horrible things to him. He has the CRF tablet once daily, then it's the pain meds twice daily, and now on top of that a tablet to get his appetite going. Sooty runs away from me now when he sees me, it's heartbreaking. That's why I've asked my OH to step in and help, as I can't cope with him being afraid of me.

Ems x

20. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I wonder why he's not eating well? If it's just the renal diet he's refusing ( I know you're providing other things as well ) I'd just give him whatever he'll eat because it's very important he does so!

If Sooty is very early stage I don't think this is impacting on his appetite so I wonder if perhaps the pain meds are responsible?

I agree with what you mention earlier about getting to the bottom of why he's had this recurring haematoma but hopefully it will clear up on its own now! Fingers crossed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice