Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worried about a bump

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by missye87, Apr 12, 2011.

1. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Hi all,

a few weeks ago Sooty started showing a bump on his back, at the base of his tail. It was a bit warm to the touch so I took him in to the vets the next morning thinking it was an abscess and I know how important it is to get these seen to.
    The vet poked it with a needle and a lot of fluid came out, like a watery blood mixed with a bit of pus, but not a lot. The vet said it was strange, but gave him antibiotics and said that it should hopefully clear it up. He said the other possibility was that it could be a haematoma, which should heal by itself over a few weeks.
    However he bumped his bump while out on the prowl about a week and a half later, and he was suddenly showing extreme signs of pain. This started during the night, and because he sleeps on my pillow I first assumed I had accidentally hurt him (which broke my heart). However he started hissing and growling for no reason on occasion, but in between would settle down and sleep. The vet's opened just a few hours later and he was taken straight there, and the vet took him in for an op to put a drain in the bump.
    The op went very well but the vet said that the pressure of the what he thought was a haematoma had started to press down on his spine, which was why he had been in so much pain. Sooty came home, and the first night bled absolutely everywhere, you would be forgiven for thinking I had murdered somebody in our flat. However, we kept the wound open as instructed with a bit of warm salt water to keep infections off, Sooty happily let us do this, but the bump went away and no more came out. The vet took the drain out 4 days later and there no blood or sensitivity when the drain was taken out either. The wounds have pretty much healed since, but now his bump is on it's way back, a week and a half after the drain was taken out.
    The vet admitted he had never seen anything like it, as they are usually only in the ears or around the belly after an op, and they can easily be treated or do eventually go away. However Sooty's isn't.
    He isn't in pain, he is very active and playful and has been trying to climb the wire fencing outside. He has a huge appetite and is going to the toilet normally, he has no problems there (I've been keeping an eye on him).
    The vets gave me further meds yesterday, a non-steriod anti-inflammatory, and a stronger set of antibiotics in tablet form to make sure it is definitely not a post-op infection.
    He has ruled out cancer, as it is not a hard lump, just fluid build up over his rear leg muscle. He has also ruled out any problems with his intestines etc, however his glands had to be expressed as they seemed to be slightly inflamed. He doesn't think there is a link between the two but can't say for sure.
    I'm at my wits end, as Sooty is getting fed up of being shipped to the vets constantly and is now taking 3 tablets a day (1 for CRF, evening, 1 antibiotic, evening, 1 antibiotic, morning) and also has the NSAID squirted into his mouth. I can tell it is all getting him down but I don't know what to do.
    The vet has said pending that the bump doesn't go down over the next few days, he will have to have a referral to the vet hospital for an ultrasound and if they can't find anything, explorative surgery to find out if there is a blood vessel that needs fixing etc. He is 15 and recently already had general anaesthetic for the drain, and don't want to put too much stress on him, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever heard of anything like it. I've googled it but can't find anything substantial on it.
    I just want maybe some directive or to find out if anybody has ever heard of something similar, as I really badly want to get it sorted for him once and for all. He is such a loving man he doesn't deserve all of this getting him down so much.

Many thanks
    Ems x

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, I remember your last post and it struck me at first it sounded more like an abscess ( though I haven't discounted this entirely-i'ts still possible or indeed it could well be combination of both ) than a haematoma until I read about the bleeding. I was wondering how you managed to keep in the drain in for that length of time! How big is the area affected?

If it's a haematoma it's vital the vets get to the bottom of what's causing it to prevent it recurring. I'd certainly get a second opinion ( at least your vet has the good sense to know this is beyond his scope! ) if it doesn't clear up and opt for the referral centre. It's best to get to the bottom of it at this early stage!

Did anything show up in his bloodwork at all? I'm concerned about all that bleeding and wonder about his platelet count. Of course it could also be due to a blood vessel leakage as the vet says and if so it's important to get this addressed. Apart from other dangers all this blood loss will increase the risk of him becoming anaemic which is something you want to avoid in a CRF cat!

I do hope you get it sorted very soon!

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So sorry to read about Sooty.I'm sorry I cant offer anything regarding his "bump" I just didnt want to read and run.I hope Sooty is over the worst and that you dont need to put him through anymore investigations.

4. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Since the first time it was punctured there hasn't been any infection though, there is no pus coming out of the bump, soley a watered down blood.

Sooty was fine with the drain in, he wore the collar during the day when we were at work and at night when we slept, but for comfort took it off when we were home and could keep an eye on him. The bump is about 3 cm across, and about 1 - 1.5 cm raised. It is no warmer than the rest of his body, and he isn't in any pain as he doesn't squirm as I feel it. You can feel the muscle underneath and see it through the skin when he stretches etc (the area was shaved for the drain).

The vet said that pre-op blood tests came up completely fine, including platelets, but he said he wants to get another one again just in case that has changed since, which we would have to do Thurs AM in that case.

The vet, like you, pointed out that we need to get it solved due to the risk of anaemia, which means he would probably get a referral for Friday hopefully. I'm wondering if there is any point in me taking him for a ultrasound, which will obviously cost me, if they are most probably going to have to go in and find a vessel that is leaking anyway? As they would be able to see if there is anything else untoward while operating. I'd rather do as little as possible with him, as he is becoming withdrawn and stressed about being shipped here, there, and everywhere, thus wondering if it would be better for him to simply have the op.

I'm keeping an eye on the bump at the moment to see whether it gets bigger, smaller, or stays the same. If it were to get any bigger I'm taking him straight in as I don't want it to start pressing down on his spine again, and being in the severe pain he was in that night. It was heartbreaking to see, knowing how much it must have hurt him. :(

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I can understand how distressing this can be for both of you!

It's good to hear his platelet count was OK which otherwise could point to a clotting disorder which would be more serious IMO.

For the moment though let's hope it doesn't get any bigger and eventually goes away on its own! However I would be inclined to limit the chances of any more trauma to it maybe by keeping him inside for a few days?

I'd discuss the relative merits of having an ultrasound with the vet. It may help to pinpoint something that would lessen the need for more invasive surgery later though of couse this all depends on what they find!

Fingers crossed!

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed, if I could keep my eyes crossed without losing the ability to work or walk straight, I would!
    I'm hoping maybe this last batch of meds will work, the NSAID and the stronger antibiotics. I felt it this morning and it did seem slightly smaller, but I'm going to keep tabs rather than be overjoyous, as it could simply have been the way he was lying down.
    I can't keep him from going out as we would completely lose the will to live, however our garden is secured so the only thing he really does is eat grass, mark his terrirory by weeing here and there and lying on the steps in the sun.
    What we have done though is sealed off underneath the bed, taken off the lid of his loo and sealed off underneath the sofa, as both the sofa and bed were 15 cms high, and used to squish himself underneath. He has the grumps because of that, but we have set up a bed for him in the wardrobe which he loves :)

I'll keep you all posted on this though, I'm sure Sooty can't be the first cat in the world to have it (contrary to what google may think) and he won't be the last.

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Just an update to you kind souls :)

I spoke to the vet this morning, and he is keen to avoid anything invasive if possible. He spoke to some colleagues at the hospital and they are convinced it is a haematoma, just in an odd place, so to treat it as such for the time being. Apparently they do fill up a couple of times before actually just going away by themselves, even after the cat has had an op with drains put in. He said it was unfortunate in that sense that, with an aural one, you can stitch the skin to the cartilage in the ear, you can't stitch the skin to muscle or anything in that area.

We have an appointment for tomorrow evening, he is going to stick a needle in the bump, let it drain, and use some of the fluid and get it sent off to the labs where they can do more extensive investigation, to definitely ensure that there is nothing further untoward. He is also going to draw a bit of blood and check for clotting issues again.
    In the meantime the draining will take the pressure off, and at some point we will get referred for an ultrasound up at the hospital.

I got a hiss from Soots during the night, but that was because I accidently bumped him on his bump (he sleeps on my pillow). I apologised and gave him a chin-scratch, he seemed ok though, settled straight back down and went to sleep.

Ems x

8. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Do you know I was just about to post to enquire about whether or not the vets had taken a sample of the fluid and sent it to the lab?!

Also I'm glad your vet is seeking help with this one-sounds like a good pro-active one!

Is it getting any bigger?

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It's slightly smaller in circumference but slightly larger heightwise. It's wierd :blink: .
    I love our vet, he is fantastic. He is always proactive, and I know he has been trying his hardest to figure out what's wrong. Sooty doesn't mind him either, he usually hates vets ;) He gets treats and a good ear-rub from him though, which probably makes it more bearable. Our previous vet was a drunk and didn't even pick up on the fact that Sooty had a heart murmur :eek:

He didn't the first time it was punctured or when he did the drain, as the assumption was the first time that it was an abscess, but during the op when the drain went in it was only watery blood, so the assumption was that it was a haematoma. His colleagues seem to agree and to continue treating it as you would an aural one. He does want to take the sample anyway just in case.
    Ems x

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi Missye, any further news on Sooty's bump yet? How is he doing?

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Hiya,

funny you should ask! :D
    I got home yesterday and the bump has shrunk by about a cm. The vet could tell the difference in size and was surprised it had gone down so quickly, and said he would rather not prod and poke at it which may aggitate it more and thus stop it getting smaller which it is doing at the moment. He thinks it seems to be healing up (or reabsorbing the blood as he called it), but to continue on the stronger antibiotics until there are no more pills, and the NSAID just to take down any inflammation.

He had his glands expressed and he said they had become pretty bad, about the size of a pea :blink: . My poor old man :( He wasn't showing any signs of discomfort at all, not was he scooting so I had no idea. He had them expressed about two months ago as he was scooting across all our rugs, but no sign of it at all this time.

He said to keep up the meds, keep an eye on him so he can't hurt himself or put any further unnecessary pressure on it. He thinks it should continue to resolve itself, but in the event that it does flare up again, he will take samples then.

Sooty thanks you for enquiring, my OH has picked him up from the vets now, and apparently demanded food and to sit on his lap for a good scratch behind the whiskers :D

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Glad to hear that he seems to be settling down.

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, this is very good news! Hope it resolves completely very soon!

14. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It seems like it is very much on the way! :)
    He did have to give him a bit of gas to express his glands though as they were that sore and he still hasn't got his appetite back, he is just sleeping :(
    If he still hasn't eaten by tomorrow morning I'm going to give them a call. I know it usually takes about 24 hours to exit their system. He has eaten the odd treat stick or two though so he us gwtting something!

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Thank you for the update and delighted that Sooty seems to be conquering the evil bump. Paws crossed that he keeps doing so and it disappears completely. Big ((hugs)) to him for being such a brave little man. :)

16. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Soots appreciates your support very much.
    I know he has CRF but I was desperate to get him eating something, so I gave him some duck, so he had a cat-porton of that, and now about an hour later I plonked him down in front of the wet food bowl and he had a large sized portion so he is eating :)
    He is very tired still though and quite grumpy <3
    I managed to empty the capsule for his antibiotics into a bit of water and gave it to him as a solution. Probably dropped a bit on the floor but better than nothing. Also gave him his NSAID, but as he was doing so bad trying to swallow the antibiotic tablet earlier I've refrained from forcing him to take his CRF tablet. I don't want him to feel like I am shoving him full of tablets while he is so obviously feeling a bit crap :(

That bump is very evil! It had been about a month now since he first got it.
    I'm not going to do any type of raindance/bumpdance just yet, not until it is completely gonE1

Ems xxx

17. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Glad to hear Sooty is recovering.

My cat has a lump on his side which the vet thinks is a hematoma, he has had one before which just disappeared.

She gave it a thorough prod and it didn't bother him, so given his age (18) and that he has been poorly recently the vet has said to leave it be, unless of course it bothers him or his health changes. It's gone down in size quite quickly and he has made a remarkable recovery since last weekend when he was ill. He was being a monkey with his food yesterday but has since started eating :D

18. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Glad t hear he is doing ok! :) Apparently they aren't common at all on cats unless on the ears. Just make sure you keep an eye on it so he doesn't bang hmself on it and make it flare up again! :D

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Great that he is eating - as long as he does that then you can hope everything else will improve.

Have you thought of perhaps giving him his antibiotic, as above, using a little syringe? You can get small 5ml ones from most pharmacies as mums often use them to give medication to babies. It would help to avoid any spillage. I always have a selection of syringes to hand for events such as these. Just a little suggestion that might help to make your life - and Sooty's - a wee bit easier perhaps....

Still got fingers & paws crossed for him here. :)

20. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Hi all,

over the past few days, the bump has been there but as a very hard lump instead of the soft one we had with the blood in it. I spoke to the vet over the phone and they thought it could just be calcified and if he wasn't in any pain to just leave it.

However, he has been off his food since yesterday morning bar a few trats and some boiled cod. We decided to take him to the vet hospital but on the way there he made a huge poo, probably about 2 days worth. We took him home instead of the vet hospital as they thought it probably had something to do with his lack of appetite. However when we got home, we checked his mouth (to make sure there were no ulcers) and felt over his bump, it was still hard. Didn't put muc pressure on it at all. Sooty about 2 mins later got up, and was in obvious pain, limping again and started hissing and growling. He has hidden underneath the bed, and I just crept under to feel his bump again and it has gone :eek: It's like it has popped! I'e spoken to the hospital and am waitig for a call back from their vet that is on duty, hopefully it will be soon. It's so strange, there is nothing there any more, just his bones and muscles underneath his skin!

Will keep you all posted on any more developments.

Ems x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice