UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Today I've just noticed one of Locke's front paws have very worn pads - almost as if they've been rubbed raw to the point of seeing red spots (either blood or raw skin) in the middle of of the pads.

I've taken some photos:

Has anyone got ideas what this could be? All of his other feet are completely fine - its just this one that seem to has peeled and gotten so worn down. Could it be sunburn? He's been laying on the window ledges a lot now that there is sunny weather. Another theory might be carpet burn - he loves to hurtle and skid around corners and on the stairs, but this might not be it as its only one paw that is effected.

He doesn't seem to be in pain. The wounds/sores have healed over and don't look infected so I guess that's something. He's walking/jumping/running around as normal. Also, is there any cream or ointment I could put on this to help the healing process?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I presume he is an outdoor cat?

it looks like he has been knocked over by a car hun, its a classic sign. Are any of his claws worn down too?

If he is an indoor only cat then it could be carpet burn as you say or a burn (hob?) or perhaps over grooming. Either way best to get him checked over to make sure there is nothing more sinister there and there is no infection setting in. xxx

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, forgot to mention he is an indoor cat :) his claws are completely normal

It does look like a burn or a rubbing of some sort. Could be he's been playing too rough on the stairs (his favourite place to play!). Haven't noticed him paying particular attention to that foot, but I suppose it really could be anything.

Thanks for your help, I shall take him to the vets just to make sure :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got a tub of this: Petsensedirect Barrier Pure Aloe Vera Gel

Lasts forever, and we humans use it too. You can get cheaper stuff, or off ebay, but don't get a handcream. I once did and it is useless compared to the pure gel.
Brilliant stuff! I'm having a look now to see what I else can find - if I have no luck I'll just buy it from that site. Thank so much for your help :D

G

·
Could he have jumped on your cooker top whilst it was still hot as one of mine did that and his pads looked very similar to your Locke's, his healed very quickly and had completely gone after a week/ten days.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's usually kept well clear of the cooker when me or anyone else is cooking (and afterwards), but I'm not ruling anything out - he could have easily sneaked into the kitchen when no-one was looking!

Good to know your boy's paws healed up quick! Locke's pads have healed over somewhat so none of the wounds are open. Shall be keeping a close eye on it with a vet checkup on Monday, just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought I'd update; Locke's paw has healed up very quickly and cleanly - all that's left is a small pink area on two of the toe pads which should be completely better in a few more days :D

Incidentally, the Pure Aloe Vera Gel arrived today. Shall definitely come in handy when the warmer weather comes up for both the dog and the cat if their paws get too dry. Locke didn't mind the gel on his paw at all, which is a bonus.

Thanks for everyone's help! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.