Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

wormy belly or kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by emma1981, May 10, 2010.

1. emma1981

emma1981 PetForums Newbie

before i start i would just like to say i am a responsible pet owner i neuter my animals when old enough, i am the first to help out rescues, promote adoption over back yard breeders etc and have gone to long lenghts to keep my animals safe even as far as building a additional door with meshing to the garden to stop my cats getting out. BUT im in a situation that im beating my self up for.

i have 2 house cats one just over 2 and one just a little over 1 the eldest was spayed after her first season the youngest is entire i was planning to get her spayed just after xmas but moved in with my other half and it was put on hold, when i booked her in to the vets for a spay in feb she came in to season so it was put on hold untill after her season and is booked in at vets for in 3 weeks when i have a week off work to keep an eye on her.

about a mth ago both cats were accidently let out side by the other halfs kids mates :mad: when i found them a few hours later the youngest was hiding behind a bin and there was another cat in the garden :eek: now i honestly didnt worry about it as she had had come in to season about 8 weeks before and from what i had read it only lasted about 4 weeks and hadnt shown any signs of being in season for weeks.

now in the last week she has had the runs and has 'wormy' breath and her tummy has stared to look swollen so i assumed worms and gave her a dose of the spot on wormer, (which i have since been told isnt the best at working when a cat has a infestation of worms) i havent seen any worms in the litter tray and she has gotten a fatter belly.

now im a worrier any way, so much so i was sure my older cat was expecting even tho at the time we lived in a second floor flat and she had never been out of the flat :rolleyes: but of course i stared to wonder and checked her nipples which look pink and long BUT ive never paid any attention to them before so i dont know what they look like any way you cant see them through her fur like the pics of pregnante cats ive found on google, now i have convinced my self she is having kittens, she does look like she is expecting one min then the next she dosent look so 'fat'

we are booked in at the vets on thurday on my day off to find out for sure but im in a quandry on what to do now- should i try a better wormer like panacure or wait? i would hate for her to be in discomfort for any longer if it is just a case of worms but if she is expecting worming isnt advised so i wouldnt want to do her any harm.

can any one advise?

thank you in advance

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Its entirely possible she is pregnant.

Cats usually come into call every 4 weeks (some more often others less often - but its a rough guide). Calls last approx 7 days (again it varys slightly with every cat). Dogs are the ones who come into season every 6months and for around 4 weeks at a time... very different from cats.

Its certainly possible she was calling when she was let out, and its possible that she is pregnant.

Was the worming dose suitable for pregnant girls?

If i was you i would wait until thursday and have her checked over properly.

hehe i cant say ive ever smelt wormy breath! Can you describe it? Ive fostered for a long time but never heard of a worm breath check! :)

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Ditto re the wormy breath thing - i'd be interested to know about this too.

Out of interest - why do you wait til they're 1yr and had their first call before spaying? I had mine done at 4 1/2 months... admittedly they are boys but my vet recommended having any kitten done as soon as they are the right weight (2kg)...

lorilu likes this.
  4. emma1981

:eek: swear words spring to mind here i thought the cycles were same as dogs every 6 mths!

i am soooo bloody cross at my self

(wormy beath = that stinky breath they get?!? lol ive always called it wormy breath so does my vet but then again we are both weird )

5. emma1981

as i said i didnt mean to leave it so late she was ment to be done after xmas when she would of been 8 mths old (money was tight for a few mths before then thanks to a grand and half vets bill from the mutt and as we lived in a first floor flat with no outside acess i was ok)

6. billyboysmammy

Please let us know how you get on at the vets. A girl left calling for any period of time is going to be at high risk of pyometra (if kept away from boys so mating cant occur).

Re the dog seasons - Its a common mistake to make, ive heard it a good many times!

7. emma1981

thanks i am sooooo cross at me self tho! im usually the nerd doing shead loads of recearch on any animal to the point of being annoying and i should of known that!

8. billyboysmammy

I think either way youve learned a valuable lesson.

If she is pregnant:

* your going to need to speak to the vet to find out if the worming treatment you gave her is unsuitable and a risk of deformity for the unborn kittens.
    * whether its suitable or not you will need to decide whether to continue with the pregnancy or not. Are you ready for the financial drain raising a litter of kittens properly would entail? Can you offer a home for life should any kittens be unsold or be returned etc.

If she isnt pregnant
    *she's been calling for some time, and is by now at high risk of pyo... i would be booking her into the vets within the week for spey

How long ago did she get out?

Edit.. sorry just read you said about a month ago. At 4 weeks there are usually no real signs apart from the pink nipples and possibly morning sickness. Cats dont look obviously pregnant at this stage, maybe just a little less svelt.

hope it helps x

9. emma1981

i think 4 weeks ago but my memory of dates is terrible. one week runs in to the next. from what ive read i think she is about 6 weeks

i am in a lucky situation that yes i can finacially support a litter of kittens, vets bills etc and any kittens will stay untill a amazing home can be found

i never wanted a litter but i couldnt spay her while she is expecting sorry just personal beliefs.

she will be getting spayed the second she can be after the litter is born. honestly the last few mths have flown by and she should of been done but life got in the way

i have spent the whole day on the net recearching pregnancy, getting ready, what to expect etc, been to the pet shop got some kitten food, even have a nesting box started as i think it will be needed soom

i will speak to the vets about the flea treatment i used

i am now sure she is expecting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice