UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 week lab x poodle pup was wormed last weekend. 7 days on and I am still getting wrigglers in the poo.

How soon would I expect worms to be gone, or is this a bad infestation that will warrant further treatment?

I do not routinely worm my dogs; I do it when I suspect a problem so I am not overloading them with unnecessary drugs.....so would rather ask advice here than the Vet who is likelyto push me to use this and that at 6 week intervals or whatever!!!

I used Advocate spot on last saturday. Do bad infections need further treatment? Should I use a different product??

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My 16 week lab x poodle pup was wormed last weekend. 7 days on and I am still getting wrigglers in the poo.

How soon would I expect worms to be gone, or is this a bad infestation that will warrant further treatment?

I do not routinely worm my dogs; I do it when I suspect a problem so I am not overloading them with unnecessary drugs.....so would rather ask advice here than the Vet who is likelyto push me to use this and that at 6 week intervals or whatever!!!

I used Advocate spot on last saturday. Do bad infections need further treatment? Should I use a different product??
If they look like cooked spaghetti they are probably round worms common in pups. If the mums not wormed properly especially or even if she is preganancy can wake dormant eggs so worms can be passed on via the placenta and as larvae in the milk so pups are often born with them. As worms dont do all life stages then pups have to be wormed a lot more frequently then adults to make sure they are completely eradicated. The other way dogs pick them up is from the environment as the eggs are passed out in the faeces of infected dogs, so it you have a pup whos a poo eater of sniffs and licks ground where there are eggs still then they infect themsleves.
The eggs have a hard shell and can live long times in the environment.

Usually if you use oral wormer and they have a bad load you will see them in a few poos after you have given the wormer but if they are still coming out a week later then he must have hell of a load. Often it can cause loose stools,diarrhoea and even vomitting in pups plus they tend to have round pot bellies if they have a bad load too.

As far as oral wormers go which is mostly used on pups. Pups should start being wormed at 2 weeks of age although some breeders leave it a little longer until they are weaned. Then they should be wormed every 2/3 weeks until 12 weeks old then onthly up to 6 months from then on they can be wormed as adults usual advice is every 3/4 months.

Just checked on advocate as not all wormers do all life stages of the worms, hence having to keep up the programme to make sure all traces are eradicated.

• Advocate protects your pet and family from gastrointestinal worms
Advocate clears up infections quickly by killing up to 100% of adult, immature and larval stages of hookworm, roundworm and whipworm while reducing environmental contamination.

Looks like it works on all stages and if they are coming out dead and dying looks like its still working.

Advocate for Dogs - BayerAnimal - Product Detail

It appears by the above link that it continues to work for the entire month
so does look like you should be OK without additional wormer until you put the next lot on. Just double check thats correct with your vet though and it does apply to all worms and not just external parasites.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Does advocate kill the worms do you know?

Coz these are alive....and yes, they're roundworms ;) I even found a worm in her bed....
Well according to the Bayer website who are the manufactures of advocate if you click on the link, it does actually say kills, and when I had the situation after worming once they were coming out for the next 3/4 poops but they were dead or maybe the odd one or two were in the last throes of dying perhaps.

Advocate protects your pet and family from gastrointestinal worms
Advocate clears up infections quickly by killing up to 100% of adult, immature and larval stages of hookworm, roundworm and whipworm while reducing environmental contamination.

As it says above killing up to 100%, dont know Ive never used it but the oral wormer I used they were deffinately dead when they come out mind you it also says quickly too, and a week and their still coming out alive I wouldnt classify as particularly quick, mine were dead the next day visible in about 3 poops and that was that. Even though I repeated the worming no more were visible after that. Maybe consult your vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I will do...I have afeeling the advocate hasn't worked for one reason or another; Will ask tuesday night.

thank you.
At least its doing something I suppose better out then in as they say, although far from pleasant dead ones are bad enough.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last dog I had withworms like this, was a wee pup we found as a stray. He was 'pooping' worms, no faecal matter at all :(

This doesn't seem as bad, but I certainly dont want it to get that bad.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I don't know if this is of any use to you, but our dog had what looked like a live roundworm in her poo. She's about a year old. We hadn't wormed her for a couple of months, so used Advocate, and a few days later we'd still had two with live worms in, although they died pretty quickly. I figured that was what happened when they were out of the body, but perhaps not, and it takes a little time to work. We also thought that maybe we hadn't got it all on the skin, and spread it around the fur more (she hates having it put on!) so it hadn't worked, or she'd rubbed it off on the bedding. I don't think you're meant to let them get wet for 24 hours afterwards, either. Hope yours are sorted soon :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
def roundworms!

this morning we had a massive worm depositted - dead! finally!!

maybe it doestake some time towork after all - still asking thevet, just in case!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
def roundworms!

this morning we had a massive worm depositted - dead! finally!!

maybe it doestake some time towork after all - still asking thevet, just in case!
Maybe it does just take longer to work, after all a oral wormer actually goes through the digestive tract where the worms are so probably kills/clears them as it goes so to speak, with a spot on like the advocate its not going to be such a direct route it would have to be absorbed so thinking logically I suppose that could explain it. Slower to uptake slower to work working gradually rather then more instantly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.