Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worms/Worming problem.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dancemagicdance, Nov 22, 2012.

1. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

Just looking for some advice, I have come in this morning to see that one of the kittens has thrown up(I presume, there's no poo in sight and I would have thought there would be if they had come out of the other end! I don't think it was Pip as it was a tiny amount) 5 what I think are roundworms. I understand that this means that the infestation is quite bad :(

They were wormed with Drontal(designed for puppies but as it goes on weight it is what the vet gave us) 2 weeks ago, and are due to be wormed again today anyway. Pip was wormed with Panacur for 3 days after they were born so they should have got some of that through her milk too. Last time they were wormed there were a couple of them that kicked up a fuss, flailed about and tried their best to spit it out. Does anyone have any advice on getting them to keep it down? I was slowly squirting it into their mouths in the side so that it wasn't just going right down their throat as I was worried about them choking. Should I give them more than necessary as I know that some of it will be spat out? The vet told me when she gave me it that it didn't matter if I gave too much as it is gentle stuff.

I have my suspicions on which kitten it is, there is one that is lighter than the others but she hasn't lost any weight, she has been gaining every day so I wasn't too worried about her. She was one of the ones doing her best to spit the wormer out too. I thought that the reason for her being lighter is that she has been the most reluctant to eat kitten food, the rest started eating gradually about a week and a half ago(they are 6 weeks today) and since then have been piling on the grams, she only started 2/3 days ago when I resorted to smearing her paws with kitten glop, and she still isn't as keen as the others.

They are all active and mischievous and don't have pot-bellies which is why I wasn't too worried that there was anything wrong. Can anyone advise me on anything else that I can do for them? I'm quite worried as I know worms can be really bad.

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

When you give the Panacur, chill it in the fridge first. It seems to take some of the bitterness out of it. I always give a teeny weeny bit more if they've spat a lot of it out.

3. SammyJo

SammyJo PetForums VIP

I bought a de-wormer the other day that goes onto the neck area (like flea treatment) and gets absorbed into the skin that way. I'm not sure how effective it will be, but it seems an easier option than tablets etc. I just hope it works :eek:

4. dancemagicdance

It's Drontal that I have but I'll try it in the fridge just in case and give them a wee bit extra.

SammyJo, please let me know how that one gets on, might be worth the investment though I only have Drontal for today!

5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Drontal is a tablet. Why are you syringeing that?

6. dancemagicdance

The adult version may be but the one we have is a pink liquid. The vet gave us it and said that though it is made for puppies as it goes on weight it can be given to kittens too.

This time round went a lot better than last time as my mum helped rather than me trying to do it myself, she did somehow end up with two tiny teeth puncture wounds in her thumb though :eek:

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Drontal suspension for puppies is not really any different from Panacur but your vet is using it off label as it isn't licensed for cats/kittens. It shouldn't be used for small kittens though as minimum weight is 0.6kg.

8. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

How small are these kittens, lovely? I wasn't aware Drontal did a liquid, so you've taught me something!

9. dancemagicdance

Hmm, our vet gave us it when they were 4 weeks, knowing they were 450-500g :mad: that's maybe why they were so difficult last time. They're all 600-700g now though :)

10. dancemagicdance

Just updating this - the kittens have been wormed every 2 weeks since they were 4 weeks old(they are 9 weeks today) and again last night one of them has thrown up worms :confused: any idea what to do? Should I use different wormers? Is it ok to worm a week after they were last done, and will it be a bit much to cope with being wormed as well as getting their first jags tonight? I'm going to ask the vet when I go later on but just thought I'd ask here too :(

None of them have rounded stomachs or anything. Could it be Pip that's throwing them up? It's such a small amount compared to when she has thrown up before(every time she's been in the car) which is why I didn't think it was her :confused: and she's at the vets just now getting spayed so I have my stress head on!

11. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My vet advised in bad cases of worms to do it every two weeks as that's how long the eggs take to hatch. You might want to try something else, maybe milbemax or even the drontal tablet as the pastes are usually milder and don't get all the types of worms. If their big enough tablets might be easier to give too.

12. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Now that they're 9 weeks, I'd worm them all, kittens and mum, with something like Milbemax. Works a treat for mine.

13. dancemagicdance

Thanks for the advice, looks like it is Pip that's got them as she was sick again at the vets so I've to leave it a few days then worm her. Poor wee Pip doesn't seem to have much going for her at the moment but at least she's now spayed and won't need to worry about having kittens again :)

14. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

If she's got them, chances are kittens have been in contact with them again too. Either way, they all will need re-worming.

15. dancemagicdance

Sorry, just saw this! Yeah, kittens are 9 weeks and have been done every 2 weeks since they were 4 weeks old, so they are due another worming on thursday and again when they're 12 weeks anyway :) I'll be doing Pip again another couple of times to be sure as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice