Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worms - Pup 6 weeks old

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by TBSNone, Aug 7, 2009.

1. TBSNone

TBSNone PetForums Newbie

Hi

We have just got a pup (Jack Russell x Staff), very tiny and we were told it is 6 weeks old and has been wormed.

Her tum is bloated and she is passing lots of worms which are long and thin.... she has just had a poo and it was only worms. Some are moving......

My daughter (her pup) called the vets today and she was told that she can only be dewormed at 8 weeks. She is not interested in eating but she seems playful when awake.

If one cannot worm pre 8 weeks, then a) was the previous owner fibbing and b) is there something which I can buy, or do now?

Many thanks
    Tina

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Drontal can be used to worm puppies of under 8 weeks, they even make a liquid version for very small puppies. You can buy it online or get it from your vets/pet shop. This is what you're looking for: Drontal
    The Drontal Plus tablets can also be given to puppies, you might have to cut the tablet to get the right dossage for your pup's weight though.

You may want to check with your vet if there was any reason why they didn't want to worm until 8 weeks in case there is a specific reason for your pup.

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We use panacur paste for our pups, Its really good

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

why did the breeder let it go at 6 weeks?
    it still needs mums milk and antobodies for another couple of weeks.

5. TBSNone

TBSNone PetForums Newbie

I'm not sure why. My daughter went to get it. She had recently been done via a scam re a puppy and was very upset and desperately wanted a pup. If I'd been there, I would've asked the question.....

I've just called the vets and they want to charge £96 emergency fee plus meds and I just don't have it! :(

My daughter has just gone running down to Tescos to see if she can get some carnation milk and also see if they have Drontal there.

We will be going to our normal vet tomorrow asap but I'm really worried now as she seems docile....

Tina

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Good luck with her. I hope the vet can get her fixed up tomorrow.

7. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

seriously dont bother with any wormer from a supermarket,waste of money!pup should have been wormed at 2,4,6,8 weeks before leaving mum,i only hope it hasnt sustained any internal damage from such a bad worm burden:(
    and any vet who says pups cant be wormed until after 8 weeks should be avoided!!:eek: panacur is gentle enough for pups from 2 weeks of age.
    Also i wouldnt bother with any milk,it could just upset her,feed a good quality puppy food.little and often.

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

They're looking for Drontal at the supermarket which is a good quality wormer used by vets and now available without prescription. I would agree not to bother with any own brand wormers though as they can do more harm than good.
    To be honest it might be worth leaving it until you see your vet tomorrow if you can get an early appointment as they might want to use a different treatment.

9. TBSNone

TBSNone PetForums Newbie

Daughter just got back and I diluted the carnation 1spoon to 3 water. Just as she was showing an interest, she vomited which was clear but there was a worm in it. I am freaked out here!

I put her by the milk and she has had some .... is this good? And yes, she will be going to the vets as soon as it opens.

10. shortbackandsides

you wont get drontal from a supermarket,only pets at home/similar and vets.supermarkets only stock johnsons and sherleys which are rubbish:)

11. shortbackandsides

Hopefully she will make a full recovery,however worms can do serious harm internally,she may have a sensitive stomach,or certain intollerances for her lifetime due to her bad start:(
    if i were you i would be ringing the breeder for a chat!!!:mad:

12. shortbackandsides

what are you feeding her??

13. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Drontal can be bought at Lloyds chemist, dowt if they are open now but 9am they will be.

14. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Please be careful the worms your puppy has are not passed onto anyone ,humans can be ill from them
    Hope your puppy is ok,its a worry about the rest of the litter aswell,the breeder does not sound so good
    Hope it all turns out ok

15. TBSNone

TBSNone PetForums Newbie

Sorry for late response but we were all anxious and with pup.

Originally, my daughter got some Bakers Complete Puppy and some Pal Puppy in sachets as we were not sure which she would like. Yesterday, when she arrived home, we offered her both and she went mad in both bowls, really enjoying herself. I cannot really say how much she ate as it was everywhere.

I noticed the worms in her stool this morning. However, from what I could see, they were not moving and armed with the info that she had been wormed, I just thought they were dead ones. However, as mentioned previously, the day got worse in terms of worms but she was still lively. Only this evening did the situation become worse with the amount of live worms etc.

She was not interested in eating today but did have a drink of water.

Update: daughter got the carnation and I diluted 1 spoon of carnation to 3 parts water and she has been drinking this all evening and we've had some good spurts of action and playing (thank god!).

Thank you everyone for your advice and I'm really glad I found this site! I personally have had many many dogs, cats, birds, tortoises, monkeys, even a mongoose (lived in Africa for 20yrs), hamsters, gerbils, fish, rabbits (heck, didn't know I'd had so many!) but a) I've not had such a small pup before and b) I didn't buy her myself. My daughter has learnt a few lessons here too.

She will be going to the vet first thing and I will post here the results.

And we have been careful with the worms which were immediate removed with the newspaper into the outside bin.

Regards
    Tina

16. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

I agree, as a breeder mine are wormed at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 weeks. In addition, never use dairy milk. If you can locate goats milk and blend it with a good dry puppy food then heat lightly this will help but at the same time the pup needs a good worming medication asap. Dairy milk will upset the pups stomach and can and generally does cause diarrhea which can bring on dehydration.

17. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

so glad to hear your taking her to the vets an overload of worms like that can is a killer:( that breeder you got her from is a disgrace! i agree about the carnation milk it can cause upset stomachs i would get her some puppy milk like whelpi just to try to get something inside her, i really hope she'll be ok x

just to add Bakers and pal are really poor quality foods i would get her on something nutritious like Nature diet if i were you:)

18. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hiya
    Sounds like roundworms - pups are usually infested with them and are passed on from mum when feeding - in a pup this small panacur liquid or granules is fab - your vet should have this?This is what we would use in practice and yes they should be wormed every 2 wks until twelve weeks and then monthly until 6 months and then every three months- this very much depends on the worming product that has been used though.Hope pup is ok.:)

19. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

hi, under vet suggestion, i have used panacur 18.75% oral paste (for three days) on my two weeks old pups.

well they are large size, but still seemed tiny!
    and the mother needed to be de-wormed as well (MILBEMAX, 2 ADULT PILLS AND ONE PUPPY PILL, because of her size) so to avoid passing the worms back to the pups living in the same quarters...

the treatment - for the pups - will have to be repeated some time in the next month or so (still waiting for the vet advice on that).
    :)

#19 dimkaz, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  20. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I really think you should get the puppy to the vets.

Quite clearly the breeder hasn't wormed the puppies at all, so I dread to think what else the breeder hasn't done. To let them go at 6 weeks is awful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice