Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worms in newborn kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Rufus15, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Hope this is in the right section.

Can someone shed light on this please? It seems to be a common thought that kittens are born with worms and I'm confused about how that's so. I would have assumed that if mum was worm free, kittens would be also? I follow regular practice with worming as a given but would like a deeper understanding please

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Kittens can catch worms from their mother if the mother cat has worms - they are passed to the kitten in the mother's milk. If the mother cat is wormed regularly or is an indoor cat with no contact with other animals then she is likely to be worm free.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Puppies are born with roundworms, with kittens they can cross in the mother's milk. Roundworms can encyst in the mother and in that state worming doesn't get rid of them. The hormonal changes at the end of pregnancy cause them to turn into larval worms which cross in her milk.

So, I worm the mother in the last few days before delivery. I use Milbemax which is safe in pregnancy and I worm the kittens at 6 & 12 weeks, again with Milbemax. The free insurance requires kittens are wormed at least twice, and I record the dates & products and include it on the receipt that goes with them.

However with kittens from a free-ranging mother I'd be worming them at 3, 6, 9 & 12 weeks using Panacur while they are too small for Milbemax. I'd be worming the mother as well.

Jonescat likes this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Thanks both, I've found this very confusing as pedigree breeding girls are often kept inside so have struggled to understand how mum could get worms in that instance. I know that worms can be caught at a vets (well I assume that's where one of mine got them as she was wormed 3 weeks previous), but if the mother was indoor and hadn't been to vets, shows, etc., would she not be worm free?

5. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Is it possible she came into contact with the one that had worms, or used the same litter tray?

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It's not for a specific cat, it's more a general question. It's not particularly important anyway, I worm as recommended, it was just something I was curious about and hoped someone could clear up my confusion

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

They may well be free but worms cause lots of problems, wormers are very safe, roundworms can encyst and pass to the kittens so why not?

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I agree, I worm regardless as it's better safe than sorry :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice